Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Traust

06-15-2014

'Quick concern about the minimap. Currently when 2 or more players are essentially on "top" of each other only 1 champion is shown on the minimap and the other is invisible. Could you have the top champions icon become slightly transparent or even make the champion icon smaller so we can see more precisely where the champion is actually standing?

Also would you ever consider putting a small indicator on the minimap for siege minions like a glorified red dot or something? Sometimes as a jungler i like to steal them when my adc isn't looking o.O

3Power

06-15-2014

Hi. So I was looking at the map and something about it felt really off. It seemed flat and artificial and almost plastic but it took me a while to figure out why, and the thing is... You guys don't have enough depth to the textures. Compare the dirt or the grass on the old summoners rift to the new one, and you'll immediately see that that the ground texture is "busier" and thus looks much more natural, as opposed to the new rift where it's basically large slabs of gray or green and then, oh, there's a crack in the rocks there or oh, there's a little tuft of grass there. It's also not layered much at all. Looking at screenshots, the old rift has grass on top of dirt at various places, while it seems with the new map you carved out sections and said. Okay... so this part will be dirt, and this part will be grass, and they're absolutely not allowed to touch. And then there's the river, which seems to be missing a bunch of lily pads and such that the old rift had.

TL:DR The textures of the new rift are unrealistically flat and uncluttered, which makes it visually uncomfortable.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

06-15-2014
92 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
Hi. So I was looking at the map and something about it felt really off. It seemed flat and artificial and almost plastic but it took me a while to figure out why, and the thing is... You guys don't have enough depth to the textures. Compare the dirt or the grass on the old summoners rift to the new one, and you'll immediately see that that the ground texture is "busier" and thus looks much more natural, as opposed to the new rift where it's basically large slabs of gray or green and then, oh, there's a crack in the rocks there or oh, there's a little tuft of grass there. It's also not layered much at all. Looking at screenshots, the old rift has grass on top of dirt at various places, while it seems with the new map you carved out sections and said. Okay... so this part will be dirt, and this part will be grass, and they're absolutely not allowed to touch. And then there's the river, which seems to be missing a bunch of lily pads and such that the old rift had.

TLR The textures of the new rift are unrealistically flat and uncluttered, which makes it visually uncomfortable.

Keeping the playspace clean and uncluttered is a very deliberate design decision. It should help teamfights be much easier to follow.

VinnamonBuns

06-15-2014

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...b1_thumbZ2.jpg

I know somebody else posted this but I think it's pretty nice. The far right picture is what the VU would look like if you upped the contrast a bit. What you're showing right now is a map in the shape of Summoner's Rift, but it doesn't quite capture the same feel as the old Summoner's Rift, mostly due to the hyper-muted color choices. I'm not saying you should increase the contrast this much, since it would go against the readability you are aiming for in this VU (but if you want, knock yourself out), but if you could find a balance between the middle and the right pictures I think you would be able keep your readability while maintaining the same atmosphere as the old Summoner's Rift.

RemusNeo

06-15-2014

Indeed, check those as well.

1. http://postimg.org/image/m866xf41v/ - original
2. http://postimg.org/image/egpgyuzwj/ - a bit modified
3. http://postimg.org/image/j6k017gar/ - more modified, this is my favorite

Coldmanj

06-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Power View Post

TLR The textures of the new rift are unrealistically flat and uncluttered, which makes it visually uncomfortable.
I actually have to disagree with you on this. Old summoners rift never had a true "location" in terms of environment/habitat/ecosystem that it existed in. It just was there, a place created by the institutes of war to hold tournaments to dictate the political flow of Runeterra. That meant just about anything could exist on Summoners Rift as it was a man made battlefield/arena in a man made location.

This has now changed. Summoners Rift has moved into a place that has an ecosystem, atop a mountain. Being atop a mountain means a high altitude which restricts particular flora and fauna from flourishing because of the thin atmosphere. Sticking to that train of thought, it would mean that the ground would be far less active and instead more sparse and desolate. Even something man made will have restrictions depending on its location. Sure the institute could spruce things up by using magic, but the other role of the institute is the regulation of magic not the overuse of it.

VinnamonBuns

06-15-2014

Alternatively, you could add a Contrast slider for those who feel that they have no trouble identifying Champions from the terrain during team fights.

Fishing Boat

06-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Keeping the playspace clean and uncluttered is a very deliberate design decision. It should help teamfights be much easier to follow.
I really do agree with this method, and I'm looking forward to playing the new map on the PBE to see how much this helps in teamfights (PBE release date estimate pretty pls)

But I do agree that as you guys keep working on it in the PBE, try to add a little more texture to some parts of the ground. I'm sure you guys have planned on doing some of this, but adding some more texture to the blank pieces of ground (maybe in a darker color so it doesn't stick out) would be appreciated, I promise :3

Keep up the swag work forscience

Corvic Maractis

06-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusNeo View Post
Indeed, check those as well.

1. http://postimg.org/image/m866xf41v/ - original
2. http://postimg.org/image/egpgyuzwj/ - a bit modified
3. http://postimg.org/image/j6k017gar/ - more modified, this is my favorite

That second one is perfect. the third looks too high on the contrast so it seems the environment overtakes the minions in priority for visuals. and as shown by the comparison the increased contrast helps with the minions as they seem to "pop" compared to the environment thus creating something that draws your attention and not just bleeds into the background.

RemusNeo

06-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvic Maractis View Post
That second one is perfect. the third looks too high on the contrast so it seems the environment overtakes the minions in priority for visuals. and as shown by the comparison the increased contrast helps with the minions as they seem to "pop" compared to the environment thus creating something that draws your attention and not just bleeds into the background.
Well yeah, I've changed them a bit in photoshop, but if they are to be changed in the game engine, they will look better. I'm think of making the ground like in the 3rd one and the minions/turrets like in the second one, but they will look cleaner if changed ingame. Or they could add a bar for brightness and one for contrat ingame at video settings!