Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

06-09-2014
91 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreLazersLoL View Post
I just want to say, thanks a lot for replying. Hopefully the VU will clear most technical hurdles for the purple side camera flip, so it might be possible to have it done by the end of the year. I understand why you don't want to put dates on things like this though.
Since this is mentioned a lot I wanted to link to Riot Nome's post on this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...pdates/ci3c30x

PentaKiru

06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
Since this is mentioned a lot I wanted to link to Riot Nome's post on this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...pdates/ci3c30x
Understandable, I've been improving a lot with unlocked cam. I still hope to see it in the future (and/or a semi-locked cam option).

Qutse

06-10-2014

Have you considered adding a visual indication to how much gold the Dragon will give by applying models, effects, and textures to his pit? e.g. show piles of gold from tiny at the start to huge at the end?

That is probably stupid, but how about when you mouse over a dragon it says how much gold he is worth?

Paradise Knight

06-11-2014

Can you please fix the hub being on the bottom when your on the red side. It gets in the way and makes it hard to see champions that are covering it and land skill shots.

PentaKiru

06-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qutse View Post
Have you considered adding a visual indication to how much gold the Dragon will give by applying models, effects, and textures to his pit? e.g. show piles of gold from tiny at the start to huge at the end?

That is probably stupid, but how about when you mouse over a dragon it says how much gold he is worth?
A better visual on how much gold dragon/baron gives (right after you kill it) would be pretty cool.

PentaKiru

06-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Knight View Post
Can you please fix the hub being on the bottom when your on the red side. It gets in the way and makes it hard to see champions that are covering it and land skill shots.
Having the option to flip your hud to the top would be great.

DONTREPORTMEX

06-12-2014

Hi,

I am not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but the new theme of Baron in the SRVU does not give me the nostalgic feeling of Baron.

I think the reason behind this are the new textures and coloring, which make him taller and more complex in design.

I liked how baron looked before: A big worm with cartoonish funny eyes and a really almost anime-esque pink coloring.
I really believe the pink coloring did a great deal to keep Baron interesting.

All of that, I truly believe, gave him a sense of longevity.
It is like watching an oil painting, it does not get boring.

The new textures make him less, it is hard to explain but something on the lines of, a lack of longevity.
Now he looks dark and his textures, which are in my opinion too needlessly convoluded, give me the feeling he will become boring after a while.

I hope I got my point across.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: What I wanted to add was that, keeping the design of, in this case Baron, simple would be more beneficial for longevity reasons.

Draqonic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2014

Thank you Riot for continuously taking player feedback into consideration time and time again.

1. Will wards show Minion camps spawn animation? (This gives extra awareness in the competitive scene. Opposing team doesn't know the exact timer, they ward and see the animation mid-way, this now gives the information that it's about to spawn)

2. River Shadows (I'm not talking about a ripple effect, I'm asking for an alpha map on the shadows and make it have a large blur effect to tone down the shadow detail. As it looks currently the river looks like its extremely flat with the shadows as they are. Adding just the slight ripple would not help)

3. Brightness levels (This was mentioned in the livestream, and its solvable for everyone with a simple gamma level option)

Really wondering on number 1 though. I enjoy looking for bugs and exploits in games, and this one hit me instantly.

Turret49

06-13-2014

I'm worried that the change of purple side into red brings up some issues in laning, here's why:

While playing, units that are on your team have blue health bars, while neutral/enemy units are red. In the current SR from blue side, minions look like this:
Name:  leaguevisualclutter.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  117.3 KB
When on purple, allied minions will have blue health bars and the blue minions will have red, easy enough to read for both sides to last hit.

However..

In the latest Summoners Rift VU livestream, I noticed that while on blue the red team minions swamp the area in red, particularly the caster minions. This looks like a bit of a mess when minions overlap with each other's health bars.
Name:  leaguevisualclutter2.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  32.4 KB
Should this be something to worry about in terms of clarity?

Roozter

06-13-2014

I'm excited that you guys are taking the time to do a visual update to summoners rift. The three dimensional perspectives on the corners of the map really give it a new feel.

That said, one of the things I have always liked about League of Legends, versus specifically Dota 2, is the art style. League is a much more vibrant world to play in and it seems the new map mutes much of that distinction. I know you said the change is on purpose to help filter out visual noise during team fights but honestly I never felt that was a real problem.

I would rather the update look closer to the image on the right https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55443853/srdb1_thumbZ2.jpg

I also watched the gameplay video and felt like there was a flatness thats hard to describe in the lanes.

Keep up the good work and I hope this is at least something to consider.