@RIOT, player studies/psychology

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XXMC

06-09-2014

Is there any particular location I can read the studies you do in regards to player psychology/behavior? I'm not versed in the field, but I find psychology in the context of gaming really fascinating.

Edit: Thank you very much, @Riot Ve1vet for providing the link!

Claviature

06-09-2014

This actually seems interesting. I'd like to see them, too.

mastersf

06-09-2014

Lyte doesn't want a competitive atmosphere. Instead he wants teams to be perfectly polite to members of the other team at all times. How boring is that? A game should have a true atmosphere of competition, in which cross-team banter plays an important role. It's not just something to be labled as "negative interactions" and thrown out. Lyte's studies may be good for psychology, but his philosophies are bad for the game.

Disabling all chat by default and discouraging its use was and is a horrible, horrible idea.

XXMC

06-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersf View Post
Lyte doesn't want a competitive atmosphere. Instead he wants both teams to be perfectly polite to each other at all times. How boring is that? A game should have a true atmosphere of competition, in which cross-team banter plays an important role. It's not just something to be labled as "negative interactions" and thrown out. Lytes studies may be good for psychology, but his philosophies are bad for the game.
1. I really just want to read the studies, I couldn't care less what Riot does with their game.

2. Cross-team banter exists, it's blatantly rude **** that Riot finds unacceptable. While I don't agree with the extent to which these rules are taken (I can't use n**** to say "bro", for example), the overall goal is admirable - to create an environment of respect.

mastersf

06-09-2014

Quote:
2. Cross-team banter exists, it's blatantly rude **** that Riot finds unacceptable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization Here is the logical fallacy you are employing in your argument. You're taking the worst possible scenario of cross-team banter and using that to judge it.

and I posted it because Lyte will read this thread. Not that he will probably care. He travels and gives lectures, I am sure he considers himself and his outlook to be above reproach.

XXMC

06-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersf View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization Here is the logical fallacy you are employing in your argument. You're taking the worst possible scenario of cross-team banter and using that to judge it.

and I posted it because Lyte will read this thread. Not that he will probably care. He travels and gives lectures, I am sure he considers himself and his outlook to be above reproach.
It's not a hasty generalization. It's known that banter exists at all levels of play.

Riot Ve1vet

QA Analyst

06-09-2014
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I believe there's a few articles and some talks from GDC/Pax/etc where he talks about player behavior like on Gamasutra Its really interesting stuff! I did a presentation on some of his stuff when I was in school lmfao

NocPat

06-09-2014

I have the same interest.

Let's duo queue in Riot's office.

WizzadDeBz

06-09-2014

Try reading up on organizational behavior, behavioral psychology, and sociology. You'll get the gist and gain more widely applicable knowledge than just these subjects in the context of a single game.

mastersf

06-09-2014

hmm interesting video. The priming stuff was particularly interesting. It looks like messages with a positive phrasing should be in blue and negative phrasing should be in red.

I was surprised at the results of the cross-team chat experiment. I still prefer to have "negative" cross-team chat though. it heightens the sense of achievement for whoever wins, and I'm sure there is a correlation between cross-team chat and positive behavior within a team(since there is a common enemy). It's the difference between a rivalry game and a normal game; of course the rivalry game will be more fun.