Summoner's Rift Map Design feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MasterVidallis

04-29-2014

The map needs a graphic rework pretty badly. The general design is fine for the most part, it's really just about the textures and the shapes of the decorative models. Here are some ideas from an very active player who also happens to be a professional designer:

A lot of the issues has to do with just low resolution textures and low polygon models for the both the map itself and the items on it. That they both need to be increased significantly goes without saying, and with today's computers even at the low end, there is no need for such a low graphic map. But onwards to some specific aesthetic suggestions.

1- The cartoony styles works for the game and is it's identity, so I'm not saying the jungle needs to be realistic, but I do wish it looked and felt like a jungle as we all call it that. Pine trees don't belong in the jungle, it's a jungle not a forest, neither does that really pastel color pallet. I would love to see some more tropical jungle looking trees, some more fierce and colorful flowers, something like this is what I imagine for the vegetation style http://www.worldfortravel.com/wp-con...zon-Jungle.jpg.

2- The towers need a lot of love, they're magical so more magic effects like designs that light up when it's attacking and a more epic magical explosion when it goes down (just bigger, probably light purple particle effects on a wider radius sort of thing, would be awesome. They should also fall apart gradually and show damage as they are attacked. I think rather than human shaped they should be creature themed, one for each side, a lion for one side and dragon for another would be really cool. This would give each side of the map more visual identity and people would soon call it "dragon" side and "lion" side.

3- I think the river, being so shallow would be much cooler if redone as a swamp, which would also be more suited for the jungle. So things like little frogs and a murky greenish color for the water texture would be awesome.

4- The baron area should feel epic when you walk into it, rather than just sticking out of the ground it should look like it burrowed itself up through a cave stone floor and the area should feel like a cave with magical symbols shining on the walls. There should be skeletons by the entrance and an ominous light effect coming from the area as you walk by the river.

5- The nexus is this massive source of power and should be redone entirely with some lively animation so it looks more like a living energy source irradiating from the crystal, probably various circular motion light effects that look almost liquid spinning around a large round crystal, players should feel like they're attacking the crystal itself when hitting the nexus not a stone base. The crystal should glow red when being attacked and start pulsating faster and faster as it gets lower, as if it knows (it knows!).

6- The bushes should look taller and like bushes, not low poly tall grass, see http://lucieonthelam.files.wordpress.../dsc01437m.jpg on the right side. Their shadows should also be more intense so they look like they're completely dark inside.

7- The summoner's platform looks really bland considering it resurrects players and deals a lot of damage. It should look entirely and change color when enemies step on it.

These are general as I could write pages on pages to get to the details, but hopefully it gives you some ideas.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

05-28-2014
7 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVidallis View Post
The map needs a graphic rework pretty badly. The general design is fine for the most part, it's really just about the textures and the shapes of the decorative models. Here are some ideas from an very active player who also happens to be a professional designer:

A lot of the issues has to do with just low resolution textures and low polygon models for the both the map itself and the items on it. That they both need to be increased significantly goes without saying, and with today's computers even at the low end, there is no need for such a low graphic map. But onwards to some specific aesthetic suggestions.

1- The cartoony styles works for the game and is it's identity, so I'm not saying the jungle needs to be realistic, but I do wish it looked and felt like a jungle as we all call it that. Pine trees don't belong in the jungle, it's a jungle not a forest, neither does that really pastel color pallet. I would love to see some more tropical jungle looking trees, some more fierce and colorful flowers, something like this is what I imagine for the vegetation style http://www.worldfortravel.com/wp-con...zon-Jungle.jpg.

2- The towers need a lot of love, they're magical so more magic effects like designs that light up when it's attacking and a more epic magical explosion when it goes down (just bigger, probably light purple particle effects on a wider radius sort of thing, would be awesome. They should also fall apart gradually and show damage as they are attacked. I think rather than human shaped they should be creature themed, one for each side, a lion for one side and dragon for another would be really cool. This would give each side of the map more visual identity and people would soon call it "dragon" side and "lion" side.

3- I think the river, being so shallow would be much cooler if redone as a swamp, which would also be more suited for the jungle. So things like little frogs and a murky greenish color for the water texture would be awesome.

4- The baron area should feel epic when you walk into it, rather than just sticking out of the ground it should look like it burrowed itself up through a cave stone floor and the area should feel like a cave with magical symbols shining on the walls. There should be skeletons by the entrance and an ominous light effect coming from the area as you walk by the river.

5- The nexus is this massive source of power and should be redone entirely with some lively animation so it looks more like a living energy source irradiating from the crystal, probably various circular motion light effects that look almost liquid spinning around a large round crystal, players should feel like they're attacking the crystal itself when hitting the nexus not a stone base. The crystal should glow red when being attacked and start pulsating faster and faster as it gets lower, as if it knows (it knows!).

6- The bushes should look taller and like bushes, not low poly tall grass, see http://lucieonthelam.files.wordpress.../dsc01437m.jpg on the right side. Their shadows should also be more intense so they look like they're completely dark inside.

7- The summoner's platform looks really bland considering it resurrects players and deals a lot of damage. It should look entirely and change color when enemies step on it.

These are general as I could write pages on pages to get to the details, but hopefully it gives you some ideas.

These are great ideas! I really appreciate the feedback.

gulgolet2000

05-29-2014

Quote:
I'm with you on this one. I also think, that since Inhibitors, Nexus, and Nexus Turrets are able to regenerate health, if they had an animation like there is for the turrets in Howling Abyss- They fall apart more and more as they reach lower health- These should have, like, a magical looking, swirly effect that fits each side and base, looking almost liquidish as it swirls around the Inhibs/Nexus/Nexus Turrets as they regenerate more health, and when they reach an amount of their health back (Say, 25%) the fallen pieces are magically flying towards the building, looking like it is slowly magnetizing the fallen and broken pieces back to their former places on the structure, and when pieces reach their former, broken and empty places, a shiny glow comes from the little space that is left between the pieces and their places, as they are yet to be completed once again, and it looks like the glow connects and glues the pieces to the broken structures, as they are one completed piece again.

(Sorry if I made my point too many times or wrote it stupidly :P )

turkeyBACON

05-29-2014

Quote:
snipped
I find it funny you think the jungle should look like an actual jungle and then say the river should look like a swamp. Just a little contradictory.

John Caveson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-29-2014

While there are many aspects of dawngate the one I actually like and think is truly brilliant is the bases. Sieging the enemy Nexus should feel like a true fight where the nexus will fire (heavily telegraphed) shots, lasers, explosions, cc spells, at the sieging enemy. While this generally has little influence in dawngate matches it has the potential to and feels really epic. Seriously just play one match or look up a video to get the feel of winning a match, it is epic.

RiotForScience

05-29-2014
8 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caveson View Post
While there are many aspects of dawngate the one I actually like and think is truly brilliant is the bases. Sieging the enemy Nexus should feel like a true fight where the nexus will fire (heavily telegraphed) shots, lasers, explosions, cc spells, at the sieging enemy. While this generally has little influence in dawngate matches it has the potential to and feels really epic. Seriously just play one match or look up a video to get the feel of winning a match, it is epic.

I really like the idea of the end-of-game encounter being a bigger deal. (Like perhaps the nexus is the Baron instead) I have actually chatted about it with some of the designers but the idea is still in it's infant brainstomry phase.

RiotForScience

06-05-2014
9 of 10 Riot Posts

We are finally ready to show the world the updates that we have been making to summoner's rift. Please check out our preview video.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/node/17076

I would love to hear your feedback!

Eskimoƒo

06-06-2014

lower purple side lock-on cam to adjust view due to the HUD on the bottom of the screen?

Sohleks

06-06-2014

Will flat visual effects on the ground like Draven's axe catching points or Singed's circle of adhesive slime on the ground gonna still be obscured underneath brushes?

It wasn't like the way it is now before the new brushes added in season 4.

ShadowGlaive213

06-06-2014

I said it on one of the other threads but I think I'll comment here too. If the animation occurs just before creatures spawn would that not affect game play? Won't this indicate to players whether or not they got the timer wrong sooner than it normally would have? =X Or if players just happen to be walking by without a timer at all and see the animation they will know it's spawning.

I also saw some recommendations for modifying the terrain to clarify turret range, but I think using the terrain to indicate turret range makes things easier for players who haven't taken the time to get used to turret range and isn't a very good idea taking into consideration the players that have.