Is it safe to say Riot has stopped caring?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Affixation

06-01-2014

[About the mac client]

Huge FPS drops that started just last patch, infinite patch times, FPS drop on death, increased number of bugsplats, all these factors make the game too hard to compete with on a competitive level. As I climb in rank, it seems as though these problems make it harder and harder, while my opponents do not have such limiters. Is Riot trying to assimilate mac users into casual league players? @RiotBrentMeister I still find you very helpful, and you're doing great. However, would you be able to tell us if there are ANY plans to fix the mac client?

Neo L9

06-01-2014

A simple response from riot would help a lot.

Redrafter

06-01-2014

Am I the only one who has received a continuous bugsplat, forcing you to repair your client, which takes the time of installing itself?

I get that because the Mac client isn't the same language as the Windows one, it'll be hard to find the differences and make the changes needed to repair it, but still, anything would help.

FreakinUnoriginl

06-01-2014

The problems you've listed, other than the death lag (which I haven't noticed lately) are not unique to Mac. The recent fps issue, constant crashes (for those experiencing crashes), and patching issues also affect Windows players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrafter View Post
Am I the only one who has received a continuos bugsplat, forcing you to repair your client, which takes the time of installing itself?

I get that because the Mac client isn't the same language as the Windows one, it'll be hard to find the differences and make the changes needed to repair it, but still, anything would help.
The clients are actually the same base code. The biggest difference is that a different rendering path is used between Windows (DirectX) and Mac (OpenGL) but most of the devs probably don't even see that; one rendering call can be designed, and then based on platform use D3D or OGL equivalent. Not only are problems - like asset corruption requiring a repair - also being reported by Windows users, but work-arounds for problems like the recent vsync and fps cap problems work on both platforms, too.

Redrafter

06-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinUnoriginl View Post
The problems you've listed, other than the death lag (which I haven't noticed lately) are not unique to Mac. The recent fps issue, constant crashes (for those experiencing crashes), and patching issues also affect Windows players.

The clients are actually the same base code. The biggest difference is that a different rendering path is used between Windows (DirectX) and Mac (OpenGL) but most of the devs probably don't even see that; one rendering call can be designed, and then based on platform use D3D or OGL equivalent. Not only are problems - like asset corruption requiring a repair - also being reported by Windows users, but work-arounds for problems like the recent vsync and fps cap problems work on both platforms, too.
Alright, well, at least it's a problem on both ends. I play with a friend who has a Mac as well, and two friends on Windows, and these issues come up far more often on our Macs. So it didn't seem realistic that the Windows players actually did have these issues too.

Since that is the case, I can't be mad at Riot for not being able to fix these things in a short time, seeing as how they can't do that for Windows either.

FreakinUnoriginl

06-01-2014

A quick trip into Help & Support and you might wonder how anyone manages to play. It would be nice to have some statistics, but at best we'd probably get a vague "It's a small percentage of players who have issues."

Mike4Real

06-01-2014

Yes, its definitely safe to say. In fact, I think you could have said it about 8 months ago. The Mac team, which to our knowledge only consists of Brentmeister, typically goes for a period of months without interacting with us at all. They simply don't have anyone on the Mac team who is responsible for communicating with the user base. They have no interest in working with users to create fixes for the most part. Its even more evident over here:
http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.co...play.php?f=187
http://forums.eune.leagueoflegends.c...play.php?f=196

They can't even be bothered to give our European counterparts the time of day. I feel bad for them because I already cannot stand being ignored, and its much worse over there. I have let them know about these sub forums both in my support ticket awhile back, and on a couple posts here. No results.

It would not surprise me one bit if the 'Mac Client team' is actually nonexistent. I mean, the only person we know for sure that is a part of it is Brentmeister. No one knows who the other members of the team actually are, or how to contact them in any way. From our perspective it would be reasonable to assume that the Mac team only assembles from their usual Windows developers once a problem they deem important needs a fix to be created. Don't forget that they didn't even test patch 3.10 on Snow Leopard before rolling it out to Live servers, even though some of us warned them that it broke Mac PBE.

Many users are discouraged from posting their logs as well. Even if you can get an employee to give you a proper directory of a log file, and you can get them to actually go over it and find out what's wrong, the potential fix gets put on the back burner, forever: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...00665#46800665

Nothing really gets done, and I just am not convinced of their practices. Its unacceptable from my point of view.

Dannamoth

QA Analyst

Follow Dannamoth on Twitter

06-03-2014
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4Real View Post
Yes, its definitely safe to say. In fact, I think you could have said it about 8 months ago. The Mac team, which to our knowledge only consists of Brentmeister, typically goes for a period of months without interacting with us at all. They simply don't have anyone on the Mac team who is responsible for communicating with the user base. They have no interest in working with users to create fixes for the most part. Its even more evident over here:
http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.co...play.php?f=187
http://forums.eune.leagueoflegends.c...play.php?f=196

They can't even be bothered to give our European counterparts the time of day. I feel bad for them because I already cannot stand being ignored, and its much worse over there. I have let them know about these sub forums both in my support ticket awhile back, and on a couple posts here. No results.

It would not surprise me one bit if the 'Mac Client team' is actually nonexistent. I mean, the only person we know for sure that is a part of it is Brentmeister. No one knows who the other members of the team actually are, or how to contact them in any way. From our perspective it would be reasonable to assume that the Mac team only assembles from their usual Windows developers once a problem they deem important needs a fix to be created. Don't forget that they didn't even test patch 3.10 on Snow Leopard before rolling it out to Live servers, even though some of us warned them that it broke Mac PBE.

Many users are discouraged from posting their logs as well. Even if you can get an employee to give you a proper directory of a log file, and you can get them to actually go over it and find out what's wrong, the potential fix gets put on the back burner, forever: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...00665#46800665

Nothing really gets done, and I just am not convinced of their practices. Its unacceptable from my point of view.

This is a bit sensationalist. We don't have a "windows team" and we don't have a "mac team". We have Software Engineers that field and prioritize bugs accordingly. Number of people posting on the forums != people working on the game. I can see where this perception began, because we had a team of engineers refactoring a large amount of code for the initial work on the OSX client.

Also, how did you get "the potential fix gets put on the back burner, forever" from my comment of

Quote:
We don't have enough information right now to prioritize this as a hotfix, so it's going to be slotted into the teams normal work/release cadence.

The team in question literally has ~80 bugs on the backlog for the patcher, any of which could take between a day and 3 weeks to fix. I would know, because I helped them prioritize them. I realize it sucks when you experience a bug and it isn't hotfixed, we're players to and we experience the same frustrations. The fact of the matter is software will always have bugs, even the software for rocket guidance.

I also completely disagree with you statement of "Many users are discouraged from posting their logs as well." We want log files so much that we took the time to write a function that auto collects and zip up all the possible log files we'd need from your computer, check the "Save logs" button in the patcher's options menu.

I get it, bugs suck. Crashes are lame. We ARE working on them, but it takes time.

Kinaro

06-03-2014

Any chance that there will ever be a Linux client? Since Mac OS is unix based it might be easier from there, not that I have much insight into that, but it would be really nice!

FreakinUnoriginl

06-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaro View Post
Any chance that there will ever be a Linux client? Since Mac OS is unix based it might be easier from there, not that I have much insight into that, but it would be really nice!
The first sign that a Linux client might be inbound will be a revamp of the PvP.net patcher/client, into something that isn't built on Adobe AIR.