Riot, some things will be best, and nerfing EVERYTHING is a terrible idea.

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 18
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dogsdogsdogs

12-14-2010

Quote:
Because Spray and Pray is probably the single best ability in the game.

Idol of Durand was fairly close to it a month or so back, I guess.
So we nerf it? I don't even play Twitch, I am just concerned about the pattern that is emerging in the balancing landscape of LoL, that being "if it's better, or best, eventually it must be made weak." Which begs the question; you realise SOMETHING will be the best? SOMETHING - if you keep nerfing other things - will take it's place. Do you then just to continue to nerf the thing that is powerful, is that your strat? Homogenize EVERYTHING or pray to god after X number of nerfs NOTHING surfaces that is 'best' or 'better'? You're insane if you think this will eventually lead to balance or give birth to more and not less viable strategies, all it does is eliminate the potential for new strategies - "Oh, they're having success with this, how overpowered, nerf it to oblivion."

How about you buff the weak aspects of the game to the level of things that are 'better', thus promoting more options instead of diminishing them.

You guys are out of your depth in the balancing department if you can't understand that homogenizing, weakening, discouraging and debilitating viable strategies will not eventually, and miraculously, somehow give birth to a Utopian metagame where everything is viable and wonderful, unique and exciting! Sorry, no, you'll just have what you're fast moving toward: boredom, blandness and the same strats over and over and over.

Its obvious you're aware of this, in light of Zileas' thread that attempted to gauge player opinion of 1-2-1+ jungler or double jungle. There was a response in the thread that perfectly epitomised your balancing strategy and the community's feelings toward it, it read; "Can't tell you brah cause you'll nerf it," and I have no doubt you would. You cave into community pressure incessantly: new strategies are hard to counter, successful strategies are hard to counter, and unfortunately for you, Riot, and LoL itself, is that you've fostered an environment that encourages rolling over and saying "too hard, nerf now" rather than encouraging your players to adapt, create and think.

Thus we have LoL in it's current state, 15 minute laning phase with 0 kills, 1-1-2 + jungler mandatory and a non existent competitive scene.

This thread is not necessarily a direct response to the latest patch, some of it was needed, rather your balance and design strategy and the continued homogenization of LoL.

Shaella

12-14-2010

power creep :3

South

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2010

Keep your secrets better and stop telling noobs how to build champions.

Dogsdogsdogs

12-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
power creep :3
its like they're playing whak a mole with balance, "SMACK - oh shi theres another successful strat SMACK, WHY DO THEY KEEP EVOLVING HNNNNNNNNNG"

Shaella

12-14-2010

Everyone keep quiet about sheen lux

killd0zer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
Everyone keep quiet about sheen lux
it's a secret?

Zileas

VP of Game Design

12-14-2010
1 of 5 Riot Posts

I'm not entirely sure what the problem with a shifting metagame is. I think it makes the game a lot more fun over time.

xSeekx

12-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
I'm not entirely sure what the problem with a shifting metagame is. I think it makes the game a lot more fun over time.
Yeah but WHERE are you trying to shift it?

Dogsdogsdogs

12-14-2010

Quote:
there isn't. the problem is a contrived, or forced, shifted metagame by you guys simply because you can or deem the current one undesirable > new patch every two weeks, nerf the **** out of everything to force a shift - take your hands off the reigns and see what the players can do, like Dota.

also, where do you want it to be? i saw some staff member say they wanted lots of strats to be viable, nerfing things that ARE viable doesn't and will not ever achieve that.

Incineration

12-14-2010

Quote:
You need a shifting metagame to emerge naturally because of depth in game play, strategy and tactics. It also has to emerge because of ambiguity in optimal strategy/build.

Having a shifting metagame emerge from buffs and nerfs is so suboptimal.

Of course, I support 98% of the decisions you've made recently.

1234511 ... 18