Splash Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ptarlorr

05-20-2014

Any chance Singed, Warwick, and Cho'Gath are getting new splashes or are VUs in the works with new splashes? They still have that "paint over the model and throw in generic texture as a background" look to them. Like the Trundle art spotlight but with less effort/skill and worse tech. Most classic splashes are pretty up to par, but these three could really use some help. And maybe Anivia as well.

Regulus

05-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
That was actually three completely different artists

Give names.

Kinaro

05-20-2014

Quote:
That was actually three completely different artists
:O

That's surprising, since the style is somewhat similar, maybe that's because Riot has a clearer idea of what they want the splash arts to look like. Anyway, in this case all three are geniuses!

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

05-20-2014
7 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Khal View Post
Dragonslayer pantheon, night hunter rengar and nocture's splash have a similar style. They're really detailed I love them. Who are the artists behind them ?
So I lied about it being different artists, my memory was way off. The artist that made all of those was Alex Flores: http://alexflores.deviantart.com/

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

05-20-2014
8 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptarlorr View Post
Any chance Singed, Warwick, and Cho'Gath are getting new splashes or are VUs in the works with new splashes? They still have that "paint over the model and throw in generic texture as a background" look to them. Like the Trundle art spotlight but with less effort/skill and worse tech. Most classic splashes are pretty up to par, but these three could really use some help. And maybe Anivia as well.
Also just so people stop asking if their favorite champ is going to get a new splash, we will be updating everyone's base splashes eventually, quality work takes time, but it will happen.

Anymeese

05-20-2014

2 words: Junkyard Trundle

It looks NOTHING like the skin WHATSOEVER. This is something that people pay real money for, yet somehow old splashes being a little outdated is more of a priority than someone possibly having a complete misconception on something for actual money rather than IP. How is this alright?

TemporalMeteor

05-22-2014

Why is the sivir art.... not human? What are those proportions? No living being can bend like that without breaking their spine.

RemusNeo

05-25-2014

Akali, when? A new splash was annonced comming "really soon"...1 year ago. xD

immortalibra

05-25-2014

Quote:
So I lied about it being different artists, my memory was way off. The artist that made all of those was Alex Flores: http://alexflores.deviantart.com/

Wow Alex Flores is the @#$%ing man

Smokeydubbs

05-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalMeteor View Post
Why is the sivir art.... not human? What are those proportions? No living being can bend like that without breaking their spine.
From Silver in an earlier post.
Quote:
People point to Dragonblade Riven, the new Lux splash, the new Sivir splash, and others as being "humanly impossible to recreate". While I do see this and recognize the disjointed look that these art pieces give, I personally view these with a more open-mind because I give benefit of the doubt that there must have been some visual basis for these poses. If that is not the case, how did you decide on such postures?

You're right. I'm not sure if the team has previously highlighted our goals for the current target on splash art and if not, then that is probably my fault. We have a bunch of things that we want to aim for when creating new splashes and illustrations. For this question in particular, I'll talk a bit about character poses. The world of league of legends is a fantasy world where things and characters outside the realm of possibilities in the normal world exist. Furthermore, the game and stories are focused primarily on the champions, the super human characters of that world. Our champions have very exaggerated proportions, some can shoot fire from their hands, and some can jump 30 feet in the air. To be able to fully convey the force and impact of these moments, we employ a lot of the same principles used in comic books. We purposefully break anatomy to enhance the gesture of the pose and push characters into extreme perspective. The idea here is to communicate something that is not possible by a normal human. I will take some time in the near future to make a post where I deep dive into what we feel is our splash style. Right now the high level goals are: exaggerated comic book style character proportions and poses, high polish, but still hand painted rendering, limited color palettes with powerful accents, and dramatic lighting.
It's an intended style. Get over it.