Highest priority

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jerm

01-02-2010

Dear Riot,

Please fix the launcher error that crashes the launcher as soon as it loads. I have two friends who have been trying to play this game for 3 months, and neither of them can do anything more than click lol.exe and watch it say the application has encountered an error and will now close. For clarification, this is NOT the problem that many others are describing where their launcher crashes as PVP.net files are being updated. Rather, IMMEDIATELY after opening lol.exe it crashes.

Don't ask for logs or dxdiags, you have plenty of them throughout the forums. I've gone from suprise to downright bewilderment at the lack of support for this problem. The forums are STUFFED with threads describing this problem where the OP just keeps bumping his own thread. MAYBE if he's lucky a mod will tell him to post a dxdiag or a log. As far as the troubleshooting pages suggesting registry cleaning or installing to different paths, those are old and haven't worked for anyone.

I'm so baffled as to why Riot focuses on updates like tweaking skill cooldowns or adding new champions when there is a whole audience out there that can't start the game
it looks really, really bad on the company.

Running Naked Fat Man

01-02-2010

Actually DXDiag is very helpful as they are specific to the system that they come from. Also logs can give a good idea on what is happening. So the DXDiag's already on the forum won't do any good for your friends situation. So I will ask for those, have them post them please.

What sort of steps have your friends taken to try and resolve the issue?

As for the support? Riot isn't where it would like to be, and support is very overwhelmed right now. So yes, it is lacking. That is why Wrenchmen were started.

Jerm

01-02-2010

I know that a dxdiag is unique and specific to the system. However, the issue of the launcher crashing at startup is not unique as many threads have been started about the problem. To date I've read every thread on the topic and every time a user experiencing this problem posts dxdiag, there is no further response or perhaps, as I said before, someone directs the person to a very broad and generic solution which has already been suggested several times before and been shown NOT to fix the problem.

"Also logs can give a good idea on what is happening. So the DXDiag's already on the forum won't do any good for your friends situation."

Logs have been posted in several different threads with the EXACT SAME ERRORS detailed repeatedly. The reason I'm being *****y about the logs and dxdiags is because for 3 months that is the extent of progress on this problem; as far as I have read this is how it always goes: THE LAUNCHER CRASH AT STARTUP IS DETAILED > DXDIAG AND LOGS ARE REQUESTED> DXDIAG AND LOGS POSTED > NO FURTHER RESPONSE

okay? we need further response, now
if you want dxdiags and logs I'm telling you there are plenty of them already posted

Jerm

01-02-2010

"What sort of steps have your friends taken to try and resolve the issue?"

1. Reinstall (3 times)
2. Clean reinstall w/ registry cleaning
3. Disabling firewall and network issues in every way possible, including removing router and connecting directly as DMZ host, as well as ending the process of windows firewall. Windows firewall is turned OFF, antivirus is turned OFF
4. Downloading and running the standalone client
5. Creating a new admin account on windows XP, switching to that user and running the program as admin
6. Deleting files with LauncherFix.vsb (http://kb.leagueoflegends.com/questi...y+Notification)

All drivers are updated, he is running XP SP3
This is the extent of help in the knowledge base for this problem: http://kb.leagueoflegends.com/questi...enced+an+Error
and that is sad

Running Naked Fat Man

01-02-2010

What are the exact system specs? Again, this is where I would want that DxDiag.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

01-02-2010
1 of 4 Riot Posts

As a note, this forum has been severely understaffed for the past month; I've posted multiple times saying this. With an extra Wrenchmen, Jesse finally being able to assign his time here, and slightly less offline stuff going on for me, there's three people helping when before there was less than half of one :P.

I apologize for the delayed/nonexistent service in the past, but we don't needlessly ask for information (or intentionally ignore it when given).

That being said, I can't speak for all of us but I know I'd personally appreciate if you didn't attack us while asking for help. We'll provide it anyways, but it's much easier to empathize with someone who's polite.

Thank you for being so thorough with your update as to previous steps you've taken.

For us to help you here further, you're going to need to post a DxDiag for the pertinent system, a Netalyzer, and let us know the installation directory. This is regardless of any other thread on this forum unless it pertains specifically to the system in question.

Jerm

01-02-2010

I'm sorry you feel I'm attacking you because I'm not. I'm being direct, insistent, and thorough, because that's the approach that works. Being polite is nice but has nothing to do with results I'm afraid.

Regardless of whether tech support is understaffed or non-existent the main objective of the developers should be to make a game that runs on peoples' systems. This isn't a job for "tech support," it's a very central problem - the game is not running. Again, I feel that most of the responses towards this problem are banking on the chance that the problem is on the USER's end (i.e. low system specs, incorrect OS) when it is clearly not.

with that said I'll try to get my friend's dxdiag soon.
what's a netalyzer? the log?

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

01-02-2010
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Netalyzer. Thanks for your cooperation, I have a better understanding of where you're coming from now.

I'd like to say, though, that we deal with polite/'direct' threads equally; the past month has been rough, and we're just now able to get a handle on it.

The majority of tech support is with the game not running for one reason or another. Because of the nature of tech support, we exhaust every available chance that it is on the users system first. There's about a thousand threads per month in this forum; if we assumed that each was a problem on Riot's end they'd never get anything done chasing ghosts. When a huge group of users all start experiencing the same problem at the same time, it MIGHT be something on their end that they all have in common (see: antiviruses all reacting hostilely towards the latest launcher patch) but that is a situation where it's worth it to check on Riot's end what is causing the problem.

Even if a problem affects a very very small amount of users (even a single one), once we've absolutely determined that the problem lies on Riot's end, THEN we take steps to correct it there.

Getting logs from the user is just the first step, and is useful information even if the problem IS on Riot's end. (There are obviously users still playing: what is different about them than the ones having the problem? This is very useful information as to what the problem might be and possible fixes).

Hopefully we both understand each other's motivations a bit better now .

Running Naked Fat Man

01-02-2010

A good example of how taxing this can be is an encounter last night. For about 4 hours Jozrael and I were working on an issue with a player. We exhausted every possible cause we could come up with, and then some. We eventually convinced the person to re-install the game into its default directory (C:\riot) and that fixed the issue.

So we do appreciate you being persistent and getting this to our attention, as we might learn something from this issue that we didn't know before. Every time we resolve one issue for a player it allows us to better help others.

I will check back tomorrow to see if you have those logs up so we can continue the support.

Jerm

01-03-2010

here ya go