About our future audio engine

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PoonFlakez

05-16-2014

Voice Chat?

Clubbems

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandShockwave View Post
Care to explain this a bit more? I'm curious if this is an in-game bug, or you possibly having phantom 5/7.1 sound.
Sometimes the sound will just decide to almost completely devote to one headphone, based on where the combat is.
Say, my character is slightly off-center, to the left, and the combat is taking place to the left of him, but still on screen for the most part. It's devoted to the left earphone.

I used to wear my headphones backward (Easier for the cord because of how I sit) and it was so disorienting, it's the only reason I switched to the correct way.

CommandShockwave

05-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbems View Post
Sometimes the sound will just decide to almost completely devote to one headphone, based on where the combat is.
Say, my character is slightly off-center, to the left, and the combat is taking place to the left of him, but still on screen for the most part. It's devoted to the left earphone.

I used to wear my headphones backward (Easier for the cord because of how I sit) and it was so disorienting, it's the only reason I switched to the correct way.
That can sometimes happen if you have extra surround sound speakers enabled in your audio settings. The sound is being played through a non-existent output source so you just don't hear anything. I know you're using headphones, but it still applies. Take a look.

Thornmaelstrom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-16-2014

1) Rustling whilst walking through bushes, water-wading/splashing sounds when running through river?
2) Announcer Packs? Perhaps even allowing Custom packs like the UnrealTournament announcer? (local only ofc)
3) When you say surround sound, does this mean it will work better with Virtual Surround Sound as provided by things like the Logitech G930 Wireless Gaming Headset?
4) Will there be an option to make Teemo's deathcries globals? Perhaps when his lines are updated, can he have approximately 500% more variable agony to choose from each death?
5) Will Volibear's Roar be more Majestic?
6) Does the surround sound support equate to Oculus Rift support? It'd be pretty cool to have sounds generated "just offscreen" still audible but sounding from behind/beside you at a distance.

BelligerentSwan

Sr. Sound Designer

05-16-2014
2 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbems View Post
Will stereo stop losing its **** whenever you're moving your camera? I'm really sick of having no sound in one headphone and all the combat noise in the other when running past inhibs.
Yes!

Edit:

To explain this a bit further. The "Listener" (Think of this as a virtual microphone in game that helps determine which sounds should be played in which speaker), is currently very low to the ground. This is also where all the sounds play, which means all audio is essentially on the same plane.

With the new audio engine we have moved this upward quite a bit to give better stereo imaging and also allow players to utilize surround sound sound playback.

2nd Edit:

Just to clarify so I don't add to further confusion. (I'm really excited about this as we've been working on it for quite a while, and I may have mis-understood you're question before replying u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ).

In General the overall stereo imaging of the game should be a lot better. This won't fix every issue you run into with camera movements, but should address a lot of the Speaker to Speaker "Hopping" of sounds.

Cronovey

05-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelligerentSwan View Post
Yes!
This answer might be the single best thing I've seen on the forums in weeks, honestly.

PrinceVert

05-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelligerentSwan View Post
<div class="legacy-vbulletin"> <div class="article-body"> <p>Hey guys,</p><p>Back in the Patch 4.7 Notes, we mentioned a new audio engine is coming your way. Basically, we're transitioning over to a new tool to control the voices, music and sound effects in League of Legends. <strong>We're still a few patches away from switching over</strong>, but since we'll be shipping files out over the next few releases, we wanted to let you know what to expect once the new engine is activated.</p><p>When we move to the new engine, there'll be subtle clarity improvements to the in-game sounds, proper support for Surround Sound and adjustments to how we implement stereo panning/imaging. You may also see slight performance gains with memory management.</p><p>The biggest gains will come further down the road: our new engine opens the door for us to explore more ideas for how we create and use sound effects, voices and music in League of Legends, allowing us to create a more expansive and immersive experience. We've grown a lot the past few years and hope to be playing League of Legends many more years from now. This change makes our game more scalable for the long term.</p><p>If you have any questions, we'll do our best to provide answers in this thread!</p><p>Thanks!</p> <style type="text/css"> .article-body .region-na, .article-body .region-br, .article-body .region-eune, .article-body .region-euw, .article-body .region-tr { display:none; } </style> </div> </div>

My only question is, will the new engine affect the performance of the game?

A Dirge

05-16-2014

Any chance this will open the door to be able to set an audio device for the game to use? I like having music in the background while the game sounds come through my headphones, it's a little inconvenient to fudge with the sound options at the start of every game to swap the audio back to the headphones and then to speakers again.

hartar

05-16-2014

Do you guys have some ETA for this new Sound Engine arrive full on the game?

Regulus

05-16-2014

Yay for Belli and his team Where did you get your name from? The character from One Piece, or something totally different?