Kassadin would like a VU

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

05-06-2014
8 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalibra View Post
Wow, not even started? So should we expect him next year? Asking the Relaunch Team as they would be the ones to know

Also I appreciate you, Riot JxE and ChaosEidolon, for having this discussion with us
Depends on the champion to be honest, some are really low risk like Garen. Everyone was on the same page about what direction to take him and he doesn't have many visual effects and what not. However someone like Heimer requires a lot more work because you have to design him and his turrets and his multiple ults and all that. Like I said I don't work with that team so take what I say lightly, but my assumption is Kass is somewhere in the middle of both of those. I think there's a bit of risk\discussion involved in figuring out who he is, but there's not much work to do once he's there.

Slovakattack

05-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosEidolon View Post
So, I am curious. Seems like a lot of people perceive Kassadin as being from the Shurima desert. May I ask where you guys are drawing that conclusion from?

I think it's a number of factors that combine to create that feeling. For one, his name is phonetically similar to Malzahar's (Mal-za-har/Kass-a-din). They are rivals, and Malzahar has very obvious Shuriman overtones.

For another, Kassadin's pre-void skin has him swathed in what looks like desert robes, with a sandy color scheme. The black runes written upon his clothing in the pre-void skin resemble Malzahar's tattoos. They could easily be from the same fictional (Shuriman) language.

Thematically, both Kassadin and Malzahar found a lost, ancient evil on a search for power. Shurima seems to be the place where things, once lost, are found again at great cost...

That's my take on it, anyway. I've never really had any doubt that Kassadin was originally from Shurima. It just sorta fit.

immortalibra

05-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
Depends on the champion to be honest, some are really low risk like Garen. Everyone was on the same page about what direction to take him and he doesn't have many visual effects and what not. However someone like Heimer requires a lot more work because you have to design him and his turrets and his multiple ults and all that. Like I said I don't work with that team so take what I say lightly, but my assumption is Kass is somewhere in the middle of both of those. I think there's a bit of risk\discussion involved in figuring out who he is, but there's not much work to do once he's there.

Cool thanks for the insight

Riot Tokkelossie

Character Artist

05-06-2014
9 of 12 Riot Posts

I love reading what everyone has been writing here, it does such an awesome job of condensing down all the things that drew me to Kassadin's character to begin with

I've forwarded this thread to our narrative department, because I think there are some good discussion happening here. I think his backstory will definitely inform his visuals and vice versa.

So, I have a question for you all, but particularly for those of you that have purchased his Pre-void skin. If we were to more clearly define Kassadin's origin, would you expect a redesign of his Pre-Void skin in a way that clearly reflects that? Or would you expect that his general design is kept as-is, just updated to match the new art quality-bar?

We all have very different things that appeal to us about a skin, and some of those things may be lost if changes are made, leading to disappointment for some players. Because of this, we try to give very careful consideration when making design changes to old skins to make sure its the right direction.

I have my own opinions on this particular case, but Id definitely like to see where everyone sits on this.

Sharrn

05-06-2014

I've considered Kassadin my "Main" champion for about as long as I've played League. I suspect he originally got me because of his general similarities to a Dark Templar (Protoss, from that other company). Granted, now I just like him a lot because of how cool the character is, and his unique ability design. So then, on to the man himself. (Assuming he's even technically a human male at all anymore.)

I believe that his mobility should be emphasized. The curving horns and heavy armor detract from that feel. Light armor, swept-back horns, and a more predatory look. The void is hungry, and I feel that fact should be reflected in his design. His skirt-y thing could work, but it would have to be trimmed down and more flow-y. I also like the earlier suggestion of pre 6th level he walks, but 6th and higher he floats or skims above the ground.

As for the Pre-Void Skin, his abilities should really look different than the standard skin. Physical sword (Perhaps in line with Edward Elric's arm-blade thingy?), and non-void styled effects would be important. Blue, green, or even yellow as a contrast to his usual purple abilities.

I am very interested in seeing a prettier, more detailed, and more appropriately designed Kassadin. Also legs. Even if he doesn't really use them, legs are good.

p.s. I'd ramble about his lore and such, but I really need to go to bed. Some other time, perhaps.

immortalibra

05-07-2014

Quote:
I love reading what everyone has been writing here, it does such an awesome job of condensing down all the things that drew me to Kassadin's character to begin with

I've forwarded this thread to our narrative department, because I think there are some good discussion happening here. I think his backstory will definitely inform his visuals and vice versa.

So, I have a question for you all, but particularly for those of you that have purchased his Pre-void skin. If we were to more clearly define Kassadin's origin, would you expect a redesign of his Pre-Void skin in a way that clearly reflects that? Or would you expect that his general design is kept as-is, just updated to match the new art quality-bar?

We all have very different things that appeal to us about a skin, and some of those things may be lost if changes are made, leading to disappointment for some players. Because of this, we try to give very careful consideration when making design changes to old skins to make sure its the right direction.

I have my own opinions on this particular case, but Id definitely like to see where everyone sits on this.

I would expect a redesign of his Pre-Void skin that clearly defines his origin. I think his Pre-Void skin is a huge playground for creative to take over.

Think about it. This is Kassadin before he got possessed by the void. This skin shows us the man seeking forbidden knowledge. This is the one and only man to be faced with the powers of the Void and say "Nope, not me" "I won't be your puppet" "But I will use you to stay alive". This is a man with enough strength ( maybe physically and mentally) to conquer the friggin Void.

So to see what this man looks like? Before everything happened? Is really interesting. This is Riot's chance to show us Kassadin, the man before the Void.
I could imagine the team having a good time coming up with ideas for this skin

Right now his Pre-Vois skin is a recolor of his base skin, which is in serious need of a good overhaul itself, soI wouldn't go with that. I do like what someone else said about the horns on his head pointing backward as a suggestion (talking about base skin)

I think the things I listed are good things to keep in mind when doing his base skin and Pre-Void skin. Again this is just all my opinion

Vacus

05-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
If Garen was such a low-risk champion, why was there controversy about his changes, most notably the ult?

Personally, I would describe Garen as a cautionary tale against underestimating the attachment players hold to tiny things (I miss punching and flipping ), not a pure success story.

Shentok

05-07-2014

Would be nice if Pre-void Kassadin didn't have the special effects on his voice, it's so out of character.

Redeemed In Fire

05-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharrn View Post
I believe that his mobility should be emphasized. The curving horns and heavy armor detract from that feel. Light armor, swept-back horns, and a more predatory look. The void is hungry, and I feel that fact should be reflected in his design. His skirt-y thing could work, but it would have to be trimmed down and more flow-y. I also like the earlier suggestion of pre 6th level he walks, but 6th and higher he floats or skims above the ground.
I agree wholeheartedly. When I play kassadin, I feel like a swift dagger making sharp stabs into the enemy's backline, and it would be really cool if he had a streamlined visual appearance to match.

Ytraz

05-07-2014

Quote:

I really love the idea behind his prevoid skin. It definitely brings to mind vader... pre lava. Like, he can be this cool, maybe hot?, still superpowerful man before he gets all suited up and alieny.