Kassadin would like a VU

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xhader

05-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xykroza View Post
Another passion I have is definitely the sound Force Pulse makes, please leave that gutteral noise the same.
^ the only reason I decided to post. That sound alone is bamf. While I'm at it though, I do like how Kass is floaty, fits with the void motif, but legs wouldn't hurt. His mask/tubes have got to stay imo, love that about him.

Proximus D

05-06-2014

Yeah, his E sound is pretty cool... it reminds me of a bowling ball striking pins. I think they picked up this motif for Vel'koz' W also since he's another void champion.

Fun fact: the original concept art (according to lol wiki) included him dual wielding void blades, lots of spikes and floating on a cloud apparently.

Name:  Kassadin_concept.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  42.2 KB

I think I like the fact that he's only wielding one blade now though. So he can fight with one hand and has the other one free to cast mage-y stuff.

Xhader

05-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalibra View Post
With the mask, tubes and "air tank", are we sure we didn't assume this like we did with him being from Shurima? Where in lore did they say that those things were some type of technology to help him breathe. Yea when his E is charged there's a sound but I never thought he had trouble breathing. Always thought those things were just there because of old design. Just wondering if that is official or another assumption the community has made
You're probs right about the assumptions made, but they sure fit together thematically don't they? I'm glad you brought up the haggard breathing with full stacks, I totally forgot about that, but I would definitely like his struggle with breathing to stay. I think it goes well with the whole void exposure, whether or not it was originally intended that way. His air tanks could use some fiddling with though.. they're a bit awkward to look at.

SecretLore

05-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Gaston View Post
The Void's central location on Runeterra seems to be Icathia, which I've personally always felt belonged as part of the "Greater Shurima Desert" (Which basically includes Urtistan, the Fyrone Flats, the Voodoo Lands, the Tempest Flats, and Icathia in this incredibly outdated image). Considering there are no notable cities from which he could have originated from it makes sense that he would be more local to the Icathia area, which is where he got his powers to begin with.
Actually the voodoo lands are inhabited by an order of mages who left noxus and who are led by annies parents.
Thinking about it now I'd say it'd make sense for Kassadin to be from there,considering they were known to study the dark arts and kassadin being a seeker of forbidden knowledge

3mptylord

05-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosEidolon View Post
Awesome guys, great feedback so far.

This type of conversation is really valuable for us to get a sense of how people perceive a champ. It's top priority for me that we keep the essence of Kassadin in tact, so getting the hive-mind read on him is really important Please keep it coming! The more points of view we have, the better.

So, I am curious. Seems like a lot of people perceive Kassadin as being from the Shurima desert. May I ask where you guys are drawing that conclusion from?
I think it comes from the fact many people think Shurima is the name of the whole desert region (akin to the continent of Africa) - where places like Icathia and Urtisan lie, as opposed to being a place in its own right. There's a lot of theme overlap to support this confusion - two ancient, ruined places in the desert where otherworldly beings pop-up (Kog'Maw, Nasus), as well as where a location where a lot of champions came into power (Amumu, Xerath, Kassadin, Malzahar). I think simply cleaning up Nasus and Amumu's lore would have separate the two regions, as well as shedding some of the enigma about Icathia.

As for Kassadin's visual upgrade - a lot of fan art and fan skins show his as leg-less. And I don't mean bad-model leg-less, like Morgana, but literally bisected. Was there something I missed that fuelled that image? I'm not going to lie, the idea of having phantom-limbs is cool.

immortalibra

05-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhader View Post
You're probs right about the assumptions made, but they sure fit together thematically don't they? I'm glad you brought up the haggard breathing with full stacks, I totally forgot about that, but I would definitely like his struggle with breathing to stay. I think it goes well with the whole void exposure, whether or not it was originally intended that way. His air tanks could use some fiddling with though.. they're a bit awkward to look at.

Imo I don't think they thematically do fit. I always looked at it like Kassadin was doing it all himself. No machine to help him control the oid. No "air tank". No machine to help him breathe. He's doing it all on his own and that's what makes him so badass. From when he got possessed till now, he's been controlling his void powers and holding it at bay by himself. I never saw Kassadin depending on a device to help him stay alive. That'll take credit away from him imo. In his Lore he conquered the Void on his own and I think it stayed that way.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

05-06-2014
7 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalibra View Post
Was that for his interview?

Also, are ChaosEidolon and others concepting Kassadin at the moment?
ChaosEidolon and I are both pretty passionate about Kass (him more than I) and we wanted to start this discussion up with you guys so we can start the discussion over here at Riot. I'm not involved in the rework team, but when the discussion does start the both of us plan on bringing the information you guys have given us to the team so they know what some of our players like about him.

KevinDelMarr

05-06-2014

The arm sword of Kassadin is one of my favorite visuals about him. And not the hand sword of Harbinger and the basic model, but of his Splash. It's like an Assassin's Creed blade but on the outside of his arm, has a cool assassin feel to it.

Visually I'd like it to look somewhat like an energy sword, his current splash looks more fitting than the arts and crafts sword he carries now. And instead of turning purple to red, maybe it grows longer/larger? Something to where it looks more powerful (however that may be).

PhoenixSlayer13

05-06-2014

Things I love about Kassadin: his spell effects and void blade. Those are really the core of his character, and I think his void blade in particular could be greatly expanded on. In a lot of ways Kassadin is similar to a Soulknife from D&D and Pathfinder. These guys have psionic powers and can form a blade made of psychic energy out of thin air, and can also be fairly mobile. I think it would be really cool if Kassadin's blade phased in and out of existence when attacking, you already have similar tech for Zed's arm-blades (which by the way is some awesome animation work).

Things I don't like about Kassadin: his general look is lacking. There isn't much explanation behind why he has all the tech and spikes and stuff, it's just kinda there. The idea of a helmet is fine, but I've always found myself wondering why he needs his breathing apparatus. Did the Void corrupt him to the point where he needs that kind of tech? Where did he get that tech from? As a matter of fact, where IS Kassadin from originally?
Really, I think it would be best to re-concept his look completely, or figure out why he looks the way he does.

immortalibra

05-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
ChaosEidolon and I are both pretty passionate about Kass (him more than I) and we wanted to start this discussion up with you guys so we can start the discussion over here at Riot. I'm not involved in the rework team, but when the discussion does start the both of us plan on bringing the information you guys have given us to the team so they know what some of our players like about him.
Wow, not even started? So should we expect him next year? Asking the Relaunch Team as they would be the ones to know

Also I appreciate you, Riot JxE and ChaosEidolon, for having this discussion with us