Kassadin would like a VU

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

immortalibra

05-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CragBlade View Post
Kassadin is a person who has been corrupted by the void, he would need the tubes and various other technologies to remain alive. I would imagine that parts of him are so corrupted that he has to cover them up in tech in order to not feel immense pain, and maybe even to control and channel the power. I think it would be rather cool to see a mix of gaudy technology keeping him alive and the Shurima desert style clothing, and like you said I think the robes should part to the side so we see some of his legs.

Don't think technology hooked up to Kassadin is a good idea. Tech would just take credit away from Kassadin. He conquered the void (well mostly), no one has done that except for him. He did it on his own through sheer force of will. Not by tech, and I don't think tech is what's keeping him alive. It's him doing it on his own. He's a beast

Also I think those tubes might've been just for design ( I could be wrong). They can go. That's my opinion and you are entitled to yours

Riot Tokkelossie

Character Artist

05-05-2014
4 of 12 Riot Posts

Awesome guys, great feedback so far.

This type of conversation is really valuable for us to get a sense of how people perceive a champ. It's top priority for me that we keep the essence of Kassadin in tact, so getting the hive-mind read on him is really important Please keep it coming! The more points of view we have, the better.

So, I am curious. Seems like a lot of people perceive Kassadin as being from the Shurima desert. May I ask where you guys are drawing that conclusion from?

Shinjusuke

05-05-2014

Biggest issue for me is the major disconnect between splash arts and in-game models.

Namely, pre-void Kassadin and Harbinger Kassadin.

For starters, they're both MUCH lighter in-game than the splash, harbinger especially.

Second, pre-void seems to have like, no detail. And his clothes match his skin. And he doesn't look roughed up at all, which from what's going on in his splash it looks like he ought to be.
Dude looks like he's made of plastic. While it was great in the early days of league, he really needs updated.

Third, Harbinger Kass just... doesn't look like his splash at all.
Me personally I hate that stupid green skin the most. And the fact that he looks like a cheesy predator. Splash is ominous, foreboding, and powerful looking. Model is cheesy schwazeneggar movie knockoff. Problem, right here.

As for him being from Shurima it likely has something to do with his visual style being similar to Malzahar, who is pretty darn Shurima, is a major issue for Kassadin (back when the lore continuation meant anything), and is the only other human connected to the void like Kassadin.

I always saw Kass as more Zaun or Ionian-like, but that's just me. To be honest, I think he'd be best as a factionless character, not drawing inspiration from any faction other than the effects of the void.

Proximus D

05-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalibra View Post
- Add legs. If the "skirt" has to stay then have it open, moved to the sides

- No toes. Cover dem feet up

- Make him able to toggle between floating and walking
Since mobility is the main thing about Kassadin, I always envisioned him just floating around like Xerath... can't even imagine him with feet, walking.

Thinking of it, floating seems to be the preferred void method of transportation. Malzahar floats, Vel'koz too.

Btw, one of the best parts of Kassadin is his current Harbinger splash art. I love that red/black Darth Vader-like look.

immortalibra

05-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosEidolon View Post
Awesome guys, great feedback so far.

This type of conversation is really valuable for us to get a sense of how people perceive a champ. It's top priority for me that we keep the essence of Kassadin in tact, so getting the hive-mind read on him is really important Please keep it coming! The more points of view we have, the better.

So, I am curious. Seems like a lot of people perceive Kassadin as being from the Shurima desert. May I ask where you guys are drawing that conclusion from?

I will quote excerpts from Champion's lore

Malzahar

"Many men have gone mad beneath the glare of the Shurima sun, but it was during the night's chilling embrace that Malzahar relinquished his sanity."

"He ventured into the desert without supplies, drawn by the lure of a specious charm. His destination: a lost civilization to the east, known to ancient texts as Icathia."

Kassadin

"Once a seeker of forbidden knowledge, he discovered that what he sought was something else entirely. He is one of the few that has found his way to forgotten Icathia and lived to tell the tale, following the scant breadcrumbs hidden in ancient texts."

Now coupled with his rivalry with Malzahar, we might have subconsciously assumed he was from the Shurima Desert.

He could have just been wandering from a land foreign to the Shurima Desert. Good question Chaos Eidolon. Made me realize the error of my ways

DogDipper

05-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinjusuke View Post
third, harbinger kass just... Doesn't look like his splash at all.
Me personally i hate that stupid green skin the most. And the fact that he looks like a cheesy predator. Splash is ominous, foreboding, and powerful looking. Model is cheesy schwazeneggar movie knockoff. Problem, right here.
Name:  harbingerkass.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  707.6 KB

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

05-05-2014
5 of 12 Riot Posts

I'm really digging the idea of Kassadin feeling like Void Vader! These are some great thoughts guys, keep them up!

XxJohnnyOxX

05-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
I'm really digging the idea of Kassadin feeling like Void Vader! These are some great thoughts guys, keep them up!
just make it happen:
http://elohell.net/public/comments/s...0147ae6671.jpg

immortalibra

05-05-2014

This is hard to explain. bare with me
Think it would be cool for Riftwalk, that when he comes out he's not standing up. Maybe every time he Riftwalks he comes out floating in different ways.
Try to think of how astronauts are in zero-gravity . But he still looks cool when he's in those poses

moogle890

05-05-2014

I never really thought he was from Shurima. To be honest, I thought he was from Piltover or Zaun. The search for knowledge part and the not crudely put together breathing mask makes him sounds more Piltover though.

Something I never got is why Kassadin has his breathing apparatus. Don't get me wrong, it's iconic to him and I hope it stays but why does he have it? Did his contact with the Void cause him to have major breathing problems? Did he have something like a diving suit on when he tried to find the Void? I want to know why he has to wear the mask other than it making him look cool.

As for his kilt thing, I want it to stay. You can make that just look pretty.