Kassadin would like a VU

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShatteredSanity

04-30-2014

So, um... I'm not sure if you know anything about this or, if you do, can even answer this but... What happened to Kassadin's daughter? Is she ever going to be a champion?

immortalibra

04-30-2014

Kassadin VU this year? please?

Proximus D

05-01-2014

Even if a complete VU is not on your immediate agenda right now:

I would be happy for now if someone could just rotate Harbinger Kassadin's void blade by 180 degrees.

As you can see in the splash art, it's supposed to be the other way around (and a little bit higher up his arm, I guess).

Splash art:
http://i.imgur.com/aA6xzNa.png

Ingame model:
http://i.imgur.com/GpI8pWU.png

Riot Tokkelossie

Character Artist

05-03-2014
3 of 12 Riot Posts

Wow...I always thought Harbinger Kassadin's blade looked derp, I can't believe I never noticed that. I think you're right Proximus D. I'm gonna see what I can do to get that fixed. Nice catch, thanks for pointing it out!

Kassadin is very high up the list of worst offenders in the visuals department. As JxE mentioned, he's definitely slated for a rework. I am particularly invested in his update, as he's been my favorite champ since beta.

I can't discuss timelines unfortunately, but I would actually love to talk to you guys about what you'd expect from his base visual update and all of his skins. In what ways do they work for you, and in what ways do they not hit the mark?

NotBuzzJack

05-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosEidolon View Post
I can't discuss timelines unfortunately, but I would actually love to talk to you guys about what you'd expect from his base visual update and all of his skins. In what ways do they work for you, and in what ways do they not hit the mark?
I'm going to be blunt, Pre-Void is derp. Not only does he retain his voice filter without his helmet, he still has Void powers. While you can't completely remove his Void abilities since they're his entire kit, changing the particles from Void purple to an arcane blue would make it passable as a Pre-Void themed skin.

Thales

05-03-2014

Quote:
Wow...I always thought Harbinger Kassadin's blade looked derp, I can't believe I never noticed that. I think you're right Proximus D. I'm gonna see what I can do to get that fixed. Nice catch, thanks for pointing it out!

Kassadin is very high up the list of worst offenders in the visuals department. As JxE mentioned, he's definitely slated for a rework. I am particularly invested in his update, as he's been my favorite champ since beta.

I think he should feel more warped in his visuals. He has become a creature of the Void, even though he fights it. Still basically human model-wise, but make his animations more impossible. Kass sometimes forgets that humans aren't supposed to be able to move in the directions he can, or that Escher-stuff isn't okay to have in the normal world.

KevinDelMarr

05-03-2014

Name:  Kassadin_Splash_0.jpg
Views: 2210
Size:  55.9 KB
This Splash has always been of my opinion the ideal Kassadin. For one his color scheme is consistent, his base skin has a weird, sickly green color where this is a themed dark purple and blue scheme. Comparing the model to the Splash Kassadin should have a sleek, sexy-badass look. His current model is very bulky, his tubes are jagged and large, his kilt is very wide, massive horns, not to mention his Netherblade looks like it was made with MS paint in 15 seconds

Kassadin should look less mage-y and more fighter assassin. He's should look less like he's floating and shooting beams, more like he's prepared to get up close and personal with his swordmanship. If you look at someone like Darth Vader minus the cape his outfit is made for lightsaber combat, he's not a blob of cloth and tubes.

Kassadin should be visually streamlined. The big question I want to ask is, why does he have a respiratory device? While he is infected by the void, Malzahar doesn't require such an aid. Overall I like the concept of he looks scary and evil and badass yet is as good as they come, he's a positive core in a negative shell. I like the above splash because it instills fear and power, a mix of technology and barbarianism, the evil of the Void yet still a man

Slovakattack

05-03-2014

Quote:
In what ways do they work for you, and in what ways do they not hit the mark?
Kassadin's been my main practically since I've started playing league. His concept, art and feel grab me in a way that no other champion does, or has, since.

Some things that I'd like to point out in a potential VU: The lines that appear on the ground where Kassadin walks are a really cool idea (they can also be seen on the Void Nocturne skin), but I feel like they are artifacts of someone trying to shove a cool conceptualization into a medium with (at the time) limited art assets. I'd love for an updated equivalent of that to be in a Kassadin VU.

Additionally, there is amazing potential for Kassadin's character to be brought to life through new idle animations, recalls, dances, jokes and taunts that use his Riftwalk. (For example, his dance could be him riftwalking repeatedly in a circle with a different pose each time.)

In regards to the harbinger skin specifically, the model has little to no bearing on the splash art, which shows Kassadin with a covered chest, and non-green-grey skin, which is quite ugly.

Where his prevoid skin is concerned, I believe it could use some coloration changes in addition to texture updates, to keep it from looking bland.

I have much more to say, but it's nearly 3AM here lol. I gotta get some sleep.

Ytraz

05-04-2014

I would really appreciate if we could maintain the purple color scheme, the badass fist blade (needs a huge upgrade in visuals obviously), maybe thin him out a bit, he's too bulky, keep him flowy, floating, robes, etc though.

Proximus D

05-04-2014

I like the concept of the vanilla Kassadin and Harbinger Kassadin (Harbinger's splash art looks really badass like Darth Vader with a giant blade), although the first one has too few polys (the lower body looks like a pyramid), and Harbinger Kassadin forgot how to hold a weapon.

The void weapons as a concept are pretty cool though and that you can seemingly just see through the fabric of reality. I think they are designed as a wrist/sleeve weapon, but Vanilla Kassadin's weapon I imagined as an extension of his lower arm (you know like the guy who replaced his lower arm/hand with a chain saw) which I found really cool that the void became part of his body or he sacrificed parts of his body to gain new powers.

I also like the purple squiggly lines on the ground around him.

Since Kassadin is so all over the place and hard to pin down, I think the movie effect would be fitting where you can see multiple after-images of him or where he seems to exist in multiple dimensions and different semi transparent parts of him seem to be looking a little to the left or right at times etc. Maybe not all the time, but as an idle animation or from time to time.
I'm not sure if this is technically even possible with the game engine though.

Name:  ka.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  39.3 KB

Pre-void Kassadin would need different voice effects though. I think he should sound mostly normal, since he's at the beginning of his transformation.

Speaking of sound effects: I really like his E sound. It reminds me of a bowling ball striking pins and I like it.

Deep One Kassadin: black and green recolor of the standard Kassadin model. Thematically underwater Kassadin doesn't make too much sense to me unless he gets like a swimming animation and a more underwater sounding voice.

12345612 ... 14