Riot's stance on 3rd Party Mods (and Curse Voice)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PallasAthens

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAcKtR0 View Post
Neither does curse voice. Do some research you mindless peon.
But that's what it exactly does. It literally has a button to either connect you, or create a chat room created and connecting players on your team.

ItzWarty

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUCK MY RIBCAGE View Post
Is the skin giving you an advantage over your opponent?
I don't think so.
The underlying tech can be abused. ie: Increasing contrast via modifying shader files, making champions 2x larger.

Note that the title states "3rd Party Mods", where Mods is a fairly generic term.

Jswerv

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Sargonas View Post
LoLReplay pulls from the spectator data, which is something separate in our context from the client. When we draft the more "formal" wording of the policy in the coming days it should help clarify this.
Thank you just wanted to make sure I was still good to record my games.

CrAcKtR0

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljuk View Post
so what about the people who subbed to a twitch channel just for curse voice do we get some type of rp or something because we are not being far by using it
Seriously?

Go cancel your subscription kid.

Torkon

05-02-2014

What a load of ****. Drop hacking, balance issues, server issues galore and they are worried about a AWESOME free program that integrates perfectly with League? Fairness my ass, your corporate overlords just don't like anyone else mucking around with your program. You should be teaming up with Curse to get their great timers and VOIP integrated into League for everyone.

Fuzzkat

05-02-2014

Fine on the timers, whatever, but how exactly does Riot have the right to disallow people who CHOOSE to download a program, CHOOSE to sign up for a CRS account and enter their Summoner name, to then connect to each other in a voice call? How does that even have anything to do with the client?

If you remove that feature people will just post a link or something to get the room started, it just makes it harder and doesn't change that you can't filter or control the voice calls (AND NOR SHOULD YOU!).

If people choose to talk to each other you have no say in it. You can disallow the buff timers, but anything else is just overstepping.

Sabiancym

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljuk View Post
so what about the people who subbed to a twitch channel just for curse voice do we get some type of rp or something because we are not being far by using it
Seriously? Why would Riot give you compensation for something that in no way involved them?

It's like buying a T.V. at Best Buy, then getting that T.V. stolen from your house a week later and asking Best Buy to give you a new one.

xBadger

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
But no one does it, that's the problem between the "lazy" people who have CV and those who don't. The unfair advantage comes in place.
As someone who has Curse Voice but doesn't use it but on occasion, here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

1. The timers in Curse Voice really don't make a difference. If you don't have vision on the dragon, it's not like it tells you when it's dead. It still says it's alive. Not until you discover that dragon is down does it say that it is dead. The minimap has the same feature, so I don't even see a problem with that. In terms of counting down when the timer is, it's still more worthwhile to have the actual time, ie the time stamp in the chat box, than to just say in chat "dragon in 3 minutes and 42 seconds". All of this applies to baron as well. I, personally, just don't see how it gives that much, if any, disadvantage to players who don't have it.

2. I can see about the whole chat thing, but many times do I see people posting their skype names and all that other stuff in chat to try and get people to talk with them, is Riot gonna make that completely against the rules too? Where do we draw the line? I understand Curse Voice tells you if other people have it and allows you to immediately jump into a call with them, but you can get as many people as you want into skype/raidcall/whatever before the loading screen starts, I just don't see the harm in it unless Riot wants to make communication with anyone not on your friends list a crime.

3. The main reason I use Curse Voice is for the timers of my team's ultimates. That's literally about it. If Riot does something similar to Curse Voice so we can more actively see when our team's ulti's are up, I'd stop using CV completely. People worth talking to are mainly the people on your friends list and Riot already has built in timers in the game ala the time stamps in all chat as well as the dragon/baron indicators on your minimap. Make the team ulti time stamps a reality, Riot!!

Riot Sargonas

Developer Relations Manager

Follow Riot Sargonas on Twitter

05-02-2014
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varax View Post
Ok so what about the smartphone apps that keep track of timers? What's Riots stance on those? Don't they apply the same "unfair advantage" to people who don't download them?
Mobile apps live "outside" the context we described of the game client experience from "play" to "end game" above. Obviously they are *used* in this time frame, but they do not interact directly with the client during this time. We consider this to be beyond the scope of our policy. (Also, we would look pretty silly if we tried to tell you what you could and could not do with your cell phone while playing our game on a PC! )

Disgamesohard

05-02-2014

What about custom skins? They technically modify some experience in game.