Riot's stance on 3rd Party Mods (and Curse Voice)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dusk illusionist

05-02-2014

Sorry but I don't see the difference between this and Skpye. Not allowing Curse Voice and leaving Skype unblocked is redundant

WithoutQuestion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchaosrei View Post
I can not help but feel that riot was just to slow on this. ( i am prepared for hate). I have been against curse the reasons mentioned by the Riot Sargonas( though not about the auto connect feature).

Considering that League is a competitive game the official answer should of been "NOT APPROVED" until riot talked about it and APPROVED.

People have been using this ADD-On for months and some people have been paying to get it. Riot has always said that anything to do with league should be free and open to all. Well people have been paying curse membership to be given key or like on Darius steam subbing to be given a key.

I feel like riot turned a blind eye to the amount of selling and profit their affliets were making on this. Curse and some streamers made money off something that is now not even allowed in its current format at Riot's Rep.
They didn't want to take a stance because their TOS was so outdated

WithoutQuestion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk illusionist View Post
Sorry but I don't see the difference between this and Skpye. Not allowing Curse Voice and leaving Skype unblocked is redundant
Curse voice AUTOMATICALLY connects you to other players in your game as long as they have the program. Skype does not.

Fae Sorceres

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Sargonas View Post
So, what does this mean for Curse Voice?

Two elements of Curse Voice arenít allowed under this new policy:

1. Automated timers: while our design team is still exploring whether weíd want to add any kind of built-in timers to League of Legends, we agree with many of you that having it accessible only through a third-party app is a clear competitive advantage between those who download it and those who do not, and isnít acceptable.

2. Automated voice calls: We have no problem with players hopping on Curse Voice (or any other voice chat client) to coordinate with their friends in-game, but when the application begins directly connecting you with dozens of other people in unfiltered (and untrackable) voice chats, it can make for a huge negative player experience in a space where we canít help.
So, the entire program? How could they change the entire program to comply with this when that's all it is? Don't sugar coat it.

Ephruz

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthens View Post
This is anecdotal, unfortunately.
Unfortunately so. However, chat is hard to contextually interpret sometimes, so at least vocals make context almost certain.

CV is likely positively reinforced in my mind because of my social personality.

tedthedestroyer

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithoutQuestion View Post
Curse voice AUTOMATICALLY connects you to other players in your game as long as they have the program. Skype does not.
actually, you can DISABLE that in the options.... i feel riopt didnt even do their research on it and catered to the pros who complained... horrible decision from riot.HORRIBLE

Riot Sargonas

Developer Relations Manager

Follow Riot Sargonas on Twitter

05-02-2014
4 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegly Boogs View Post
since 2 weeks ago CV wasn't a problem, and now it is, instead of lying and saying you care about the integrity of competition or whatever, just be honest and say you did it because people whined on reddit
I can rest assure you, we don't make player-wide affecting changes based on just Reddit sentiment along. (Though we do value their input!) This has taken the time that it has because we've been hard at work discussing things internally, and making sure the steps we take are the right ones for all players. When doing that, this is something that requires time and careful thought to make sure people from all parts of Riot and various areas of expertise get a chance to come together and discuss things fully.

WithoutQuestion

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fae Sorceres View Post
So, the entire program? How could they change the entire program to comply with this when that's all it is? Don't sugar coat it.
They could just remove those features and make it like other VoiP's, you have to add people to your friends list in order to chat with them

Sirsir94

05-02-2014

So whats the current word on the built in timers (LoL itself not the CV timers)? Whats the basic discussion on it like around there?

Raptamei

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZerglingOne View Post
League has needed integrated voice chat since launch day. Yes, there will always be ragers, but when your direct and most powerful upcoming competition has it, you can't just leave it out. I promise, just like the report system rarely being wrong about chat ragers, it will rarely be wrong about voice ragers too.
Actually, Dota 2 avoids these issues related to the report system by simply not having a Summoner's Code. If people are willing to spend their precious few reports on you, then you are piѕѕing off your team in some way and you should be placed in a separate queue.

Dota 2 doesn't attempt to be a moral judge and distinguish between "okay" reasons to piѕѕ off your team (being bad) and "punishable" reasons to piѕѕ off your team (being an ass). It doesn't need to because you can't get banned from Dota 2. If you end up in low priority queue because you flame everyone, stop flaming, you are ruining games. If you end up in low priority queue because you suck, stop sucking, you are ruining games.