Riot's stance on 3rd Party Mods (and Curse Voice)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZerglingOne

05-02-2014

League has needed integrated voice chat since launch day. Yes, there will always be ragers, but when your direct and most powerful upcoming competition has it, you can't just leave it out. I promise, just like the report system rarely being wrong about chat ragers, it will rarely be wrong about voice ragers too.

It would be legal and exceedingly easy to capture a text log with basic voice recognition software. It wouldn't be perfect, but you can usually get an idea of what someone is saying.

PallasAthens

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephruz View Post
I think I'm okay with this. The only reason I used (or liked) Curse Voice was because of the ability to make quick calls with people I'm matchmade with because it provided a more positive, human-like medium of communication between my team while simultaneously ridding of the hassle of adding/deleting temporary contacts. It was easier to understand and express kindness and context.

TL;DR people are nicer on Curse Voice because psychology & it's easier to talk than type
This is anecdotal, unfortunately.

For Sargonas-If CV is illegal now, then how will you go forward in making sure players aren't using it? Will it be on your side or will it just be goodwill to the player?

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2014

since 2 weeks ago CV wasn't a problem, and now it is, instead of lying and saying you care about the integrity of competition or whatever, just be honest and say you did it because people whined on reddit

Iron Angel 2003

05-02-2014

I have my funnel prepared, if all of the curse voice users could line up in a neat single file line so I can harvest your tears in an orderly fashion, thank you

Araerker

05-02-2014

What about Razer Comms (http://www.razerzone.com/comms)? Is it allowed?

Kchaosrei

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2014

I can not help but feel that riot was just to slow on this. ( i am prepared for hate). I have been against curse the reasons mentioned by the Riot Sargonas( though not about the auto connect feature).

Considering that League is a competitive game the official answer should of been "NOT APPROVED" until riot talked about it and APPROVED.

People have been using this ADD-On for months and some people have been paying to get it. Riot has always said that anything to do with league should be free and open to all. Well people have been paying curse membership to be given key or like on Darius steam subbing to be given a key.

I feel like riot turned a blind eye to the amount of selling and profit their affliets were making on this. Curse and some streamers made money off something that is now not even allowed in its current format at Riot's Rep.

Jamore

05-02-2014

Finally! I have Curse voice but my computer freezes for no particular reason when running the application. I now no longer am at a disadvantage. TY RIOT!

WithoutQuestion

05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokkun View Post
I'm a little surprised that the voice chat element is also a problem. While it can set people up for issues, nothing really prevents people from NOT using the voice element (at least as I understand it). Plus, as you point out, voice programs are OK otherwise.

I am very very glad that even timers this minimal are not allowed. The slippery slope on that one was really really steep.
The voice element of connecting with people Automatically who have the app is the problem.
EX: you connect with someone who has like a super negative attitude and makes racial slurs, but is quiet in game. Riot cannot enforce a ban or any punishments on players who are reported and your experience is negative. This means that players cannot be punished for negative behavior because it is outside of Riot's hands. Also, on a competitive level giving comms to everyone who has the program means that anyone who doesn't automatically has a great disadvantage, which is something Riot also doesn't want. Skype and other VoiP's don't have this issue because you must have them as a friend.

slender

05-02-2014

Curse Voice is basically a handicap for a lot of players that don't "enjoy" having a Curse Voice Key, given the examples on the OP as for the timers and such. This just isn't making anything balanced at all.

I thoroughly agree with Riot's position on this.

Noric

05-02-2014

Thank you - this is great news.