FPS Issues on Death Using Mac Client

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SgtImrak

04-17-2014

10.9.3 is coming out soon for Mac OS and its focus is on updating the graphics drivers. One user already posted that he got the developer preview and his client stopped crashing but didn't say anything else. Once this version releases more future attempts to fix this issue might be easier.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

04-18-2014
16 of 18 Riot Posts

Sorry Mike. I think something about the other thread on 10.6.8 support got me thinking you only had 10.6.8 installed and not both operating systems. I think we have the information we need from you at this point in time. I don't have any updates on the issue at this time but the issue is on our backlog. I think that having multiple champions on screen at once lowering the "ambient" framerate is possibly worsening the hitch. I'm looking at it now with multiple champions. There are quite a few things going on when you die for the first time so I'm working on timing these issues to see what the smoking gun is.

As an aside, the biggest factor for LoL performance is single core speed. Yours is a 2.40Ghz (min spec is 2.00Ghz) which I think is the main contributing factor.

P.S. The more I look at this, the more I think it's not a Mac specific issue but possibly related to hardware.

Mike4Real

04-18-2014

I think I'll try and do what I said earlier about upping the number of bots in a custom game until I experience the issue. Like I said, I can do a Kog vs Soraka bot 1v1 custom game just fine without freezing when I go into my passive. There's some threshold that happens in normal 5v5 games when I freeze, I'll see if I can pinpoint what that breaking point is. Its just gonna take a while for me to keep loading into custom games.

About single core speed, there are people running on Core i7s who have told me that they have this issue. Then again, does that not really matter though since LoL performance is only concerned with single core and the intel processors are multi core? I don't really know, but brand new Macbook Pros on the Apple website have Core i5s in them that also run at 2.4GHz. Like what about my friend who I play with all the time, he has a 2.5GHz Core i5 in his new Mac mini and he has this happen to him too. Does that mean if I were going for best LoL performance I should prioritize a higher GHz speed rather than a multi core? Some brand new processors are multicore but they only run form about 2.4-2.8GHz, are these all relatively too low then?

And I figured out that geekbench is mostly for processors and memory not for testing disk speed really. I have done these terminal commands to find out my disk speed:
time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k of=tstfile count=1024
and
dd if=tstfile bs=1024k of=/dev/null count=1024

Here's what I got (keep in mind I was watching the LCS live stream during this so I can probably get it higher if I wasn't running so many programs):
Mikes-MacBook:~ mike$ time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k of=tstfile count=1024

1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes transferred in 26.241615 secs (40917521 bytes/sec)

real 0m26.284s
user 0m0.005s
sys 0m1.597s

Mikes-MacBook:~ mike$ dd if=tstfile bs=1024k of=/dev/null count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes transferred in 25.582196 secs (41972230 bytes/sec)

So that's writing at 39MB/s and reading at 40MB/s
EDIT: I redid this a few more times later when my computer was doing less, and I can get about 42-47MB/s write and 45-50MB/s read.
Do you still feel like disk speed is a factor? Is that low? Where should I be at to load a death animation or other LoL assets? Again I might not be testing this is the right way, so let me know if there's a better method/application for this. I have no idea what an average speed is or how much I would need for this to be a factor in the hitch or not.

Gonna restart my computer and do some custom game testing, bbl.

Cansema

04-19-2014

wow.. thought this was just the servers bugging out and thought it was just part of the game.

Blanksy3

04-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtimrak View Post
10.9.3 is coming out soon for Mac OS and its focus is on updating the graphics drivers. One user already posted that he got the developer preview and his client stopped crashing but didn't say anything else. Once this version releases more future attempts to fix this issue might be easier.
Wow. Hopefully it has a major impact on how league runs.

HexIXI

04-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergSwarm View Post
This happens to me almost every death, I didn't realize it was an issue with the mac client!
Same it happen occasionally , but usually on my first death

Brentmeister

04-24-2014
17 of 18 Riot Posts

Just as an update. We have an additional fix in 4.7 that will reduce the frequency and duration of hitches across League of Legends in many circumstances. We're still looking at this specific issue though because it doesn't 100% resolve this instance of hitching.

Mike4Real

04-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmeister View Post
Just as an update. We have an additional fix in 4.7 that will reduce the frequency and duration of hitches across League of Legends in many circumstances. We're still looking at this specific issue though because it doesn't 100% resolve this instance of hitching.
That's good news.

I did some testing about the threshold where the freezing starts to happen like I said earlier. Slowly added bots to a custom game until it became consistent. I'm able to do 1v1s just fine, and I was a even fine going up to 3v3s. But once I got to a custom game with 4v4s, I started having the problem. Once there was a 2v2 bottom lane I would freeze. But it wouldn't happen when it was 2v1. I used Kog'Maw every game and always added the same bots, leveled the same skill and bought the same items. I'll probably have to repeat the test when this newer fix is out though.

Do you think disk speed is still a cause given mine is about 42-47MB/s write and 45-50MB/s read as I found out. What numbers should I need for LoL assets to load quick enough?
Do you guys test on a min processor that runs at 2.0GHz, do you guys freeze on that machine? If not what's the oldest Mac system you guys test on? I wanna have a point of comparison to figure out what I need to fix if anything.

Brentmeister

04-25-2014
18 of 18 Riot Posts

I don't think disk speed is the cause any more. It's more likely related to intensity of the game and CPU speed. The machine I was previously using to reproduce this bug is a 2.4GHZ. We have much slower machines that I can acquire/test on after I implement some additional fixes. We also have an even WIDER array of hardware used by our various testing centers around the globe.

Mike4Real

05-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmeister View Post
We have an additional fix in 4.7 that will reduce the frequency and duration of hitches across League of Legends in many circumstances. We're still looking at this specific issue though because it doesn't 100% resolve this instance of hitching.
Just as an update these fixes in 4.7 haven't had any effect. Both me and my friend on his Core i5 are still having the issue for seemingly the same duration. However, it looks like Mac users are having more severe issues with the client right now with the non-patching and crashing.