Is Curse voice legal?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RhodopSIN

04-21-2014

I personally wouldn't have a problem with curse voice if it was free and open to everyone. OBVIOUSLY, voice chat and free timers on ults and buffs is a ridiculous advantage in solo q only offered to those who paid for a curse membership. Curse is making money off LoL. This makes the game pay to get a slight advantage. The best way to fix this is to either remove it or give everyone an equal chance to obtain it.

EDIT: Nobody likes pay to win games.

The Mechy

04-21-2014

I don't think you can pay to get in. It's a free service bro.

Arclight Thresh

04-21-2014

Curse voice will be free when it is out of beta.

MajorPain9

04-21-2014

Meh my biggest problems is with Riot offering 3rd party services. We have seen the bugs and hacks because of them, so this won't be any different. Imo best stance Riot should take is ban all 3rd party software, and if they deem a QOL aspect necessary for the game they should implement it.

WildPslyDuck

04-21-2014

In my opinion, we either all get timers, or we get no timers. Things like curse voice make this game a pay2win game. And that's not what I want to see League turn into.

Dotislav Pro

04-21-2014

bump

Kraemer

04-21-2014

Honestly a free voice chat system for this game would be the best remedy for most of the issues on the player side. Communication is key to this game, and honestly solo queue sucks because you have to type everything out and by the time you do the situation has changed. Having a voice system will let calls be made on the fly and ease up a lot of the problems that voiceless solo queue has. And since Riot isn't planning on implementing something like this as far as I know, allowing the free market to create a better alternative is the best scenario we have. For those who complain about "Muh squeakers, muh trolls", I think that those who do that will be less than those who "troll" in game due to frustration from bad gameplay stemming from terrible calls due to lack of speedy communication.

Riot Sargonas

Developer Relations Manager

Follow Riot Sargonas on Twitter

04-21-2014
5 of 9 Riot Posts

Hey all! Given the resurgence of the topic (and this thread) I wanted to pop in and give you all an update. As I mentioned a few weeks back, Curse Voice and other related 3rd party mods are something we are actively looking into, given the rise in popularity. We are moving forward with how we want to shape our policies around this and I just wanted to give you all a bit of an update on the direction we are headed.

The original wording was loosely phrased so that we had room to adjust to the best interests of the community on a case by case basis. It's clear however that our choice of wording made our intentions confusing. Generally speaking, the intent was that we reserved the right to take action against any programs we deem harmful to the community at any time, but that we did not have to explicitly keep a meticulous "bad list" or "good list" of apps. Instead, things would live in a neutral area until we had a need to make a call one way or another on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, this has caused confusion for a lot of you lately into thinking that unless we explicitly green light something, it is a bannable offense. That was never our intent.

Moving forward, we are crafting a clearer policy around 3rd party addons. It is not quite ready for prime-time roll out yet, but will be in the very near future. To give you some insight on the direction we are headed though (and to solicit your feedback) this is the direction we are heading. (Please note, this is a general idea of where we are headed, and NOT a verbatim example of the new policy.)

"Programs that give you information you have already earned (such as visible timers) are ok. Programs that give you information you have not earned (such as enemy timers/timers in the fog of war), ones that make decisions for you, or take actions for you, are NOT ok."

If you have any feedback on this, my team and I would love to hear it!

MajorPain9

04-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Sargonas View Post
Hey all! Given the resurgence of the topic (and this thread) I wanted to pop in and give you all an update. As I mentioned a few weeks back, Curse Voice and other related 3rd party mods are something we are actively looking into, given the rise in popularity. We are moving forward with how we want to shape our policies around this and I just wanted to give you all a bit of an update on the direction we are headed.

The original wording was loosely phrased so that we had room to adjust to the best interests of the community on a case by case basis. It's clear however that our choice of wording made our intentions confusing. Generally speaking, the intent was that we reserved the right to take action against any programs we deem harmful to the community at any time, but that we did not have to explicitly keep a meticulous "bad list" or "good list" of apps. Instead, things would live in a neutral area until we had a need to make a call one way or another on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, this has caused confusion for a lot of you lately into thinking that unless we explicitly green light something, it is a bannable offense. That was never our intent.

Moving forward, we are crafting a clearer policy around 3rd party addons. It is not quite ready for prime-time roll out yet, but will be in the very near future. To give you some insight on the direction we are headed though (and to solicit your feedback) this is the direction we are heading. (Please note, this is a general idea of where we are headed, and NOT a verbatim example of the new policy.)

"Programs that give you information you have already earned (such as visible timers) are ok. Programs that give you information you have not earned (such as enemy timers/timers in the fog of war), ones that make decisions for you, or take actions for you, are NOT ok."

How is noting 5 ultimates going off in a team fight possibly able to be recorded by a normal player? Is Riot going to make a team to particularly monitor such instances where the 3rd party programs effect the games, or will you use a program like Warden?

If you feel that a 3rd party addition is allowable, because it improves a QOL issue, why doesn't riot just apply it in the game so players aren't subject to possible harmful addons on there computer?

KellyOConnell

04-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Sargonas View Post

"We took bribes from Curse, so you guys can still use it."