Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Herald

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2014

I hope this post will make sense.

What do you love about playing Sona?
I feel like unlike most other supports with visibly impactful skills not including R, Sona's skills represents her persona pretty well, mainly her silence. The fact that she trades her ability to make super crazy plays, to quietly give power to her team represents her well.

The only thing I would suggest is that, to make it less invisible, I would say to up how the aura projects on allied champions. E.g. For W allied champions could somewhat glow a bit green to remind the enemy of what Sona is doing.

On a different note, the fact that Sona has amazing utility has allowed her to make some weird builds in different modes, most notably for myself I made a Bruiser Sona, which I guess would now be called Blue Sona, in Dominion that actually worked with the right team comp.

Hinagiku

04-18-2014

Constant healing
Passive Auras

What do you not like about playing Sona?
Receiving constant vitriol from certain influential rioters about how "toxic" healing is.

What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
How much mana can I devote purely to keeping my partner alive.

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
Using my very-nerfed heal to save an ally from certain death by the slimmest of margins.

BuboBubo

Business Analyst

04-18-2014
14 of 25 Riot Posts

Posting here as a sona fan (I am not on the gameplay team). She is my first love as a support - she's easy to pick up but has good trade offs and room for mastery, which all contribute to her unique value in LEague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Heart View Post
snip
+5, This captures my experience with her really really well, particularly the highs (lane poke, banging ults (although a little outclassed by Annie) and the squishy ness to balance it). I also agree that her auras don't feel impactful.

One idea to make her power chords more satisfying would be if you could target cast on allies or enemies similar to lulu. Also power chords every 2 spells, even if they were weaker to compensate would increase the number of decisions and skill cap. Or to get even crazier, you could choose when to power chord allowing players to ramp up her power chord and have it scale accordingly (my other main is Darius....)

Another point to call out...her w and e don't have a lot of counter play, this might be potential areas to beef up interaction.

Eskimoƒo

04-19-2014

Buff Teemo

ThaddeusMike

04-19-2014

I haven't played sona in a while because of how many other supports I feel have just overtaken her, but I used to really like her.

I loved her playstyle. Sitting in back, micromanaging. Honestly, if I had to suggest one change it would be to increase the power of powerchords but decrease their frequency. For me Sona was about making small moves while waiting for the big power play. Powerchords and ults were fun and rewarding.

I know the auras didn't feel good, but I'm the kind of player who enjoyed thinking about it. The real problem was that you would wind up dropping the aura as you cycled through anyway, so you couldn't really prioritize it even if you wanted to. Still, I enjoyed the way each skill had 3 components all of which mattered and were worth being aware of.

I stopped playing her because she was so squishy and punishing, and the rewards for playing other supports were just better. Sona's design makes her not the best at any one thing, but she just seemed to slip over that line from being always worth picking for her versatility to not worth picking because of her lack of strength.

Sona is an intricate champion. Her play is not mechanically intense, but her kit has a lot of depth and room to allow interesting decision making. When you change her, please keep that in mind even at the expense of making her flashy.

Akava

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2014

As a Sona player usually what I love about playing Sona is the ability to do so much such as helping my ADC come out on top of trades and doing pretty respectable damage early to mid game. Her ult is a game changer and helps set up a lot of awesome plays.

My problem with Sona comes from how she doesn't seem to measure up to newer supports because so much of her power is in her ult or as stat booster. I can understand the hidden power but sometimes it would be all the more fun to use an awesome non ultimate ability to save your carry. Another thing I dislike about Sona is that there are times where I feel some of my power is wasted like when half her heal is wasted on herself when she's at full hp or when she uses her Q and it hits a minion and a single champion.

Moments and decisions kind of go hand in hand for me. The plays obviously include the clutch ultimates but more often when I use things like Power Chord E's or W's and either slow a dangerous enemy or reduce the damage of a bursty assassin and save a weaker member on my team. Sometimes I wish I had more access to those cool moments without having to burn through so much mana to get to them.

Sona gets a massive boost in power at 6 but I also dislike that after her ult is used, she loses SO much power. Sometimes I kind of wish some of that power was shifted to her base abilities and passive so that when my ult is unavailable I could still make powerful plays. Thresh's plays come from his base kit, not his ult. Sometimes I wish Sona had that level of versatility.

Better Ban Sona

04-19-2014

Though this is rather outdated, I'm gonna add this for further info on Sona's state in the game for season 4.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4003952

Maldus94

04-19-2014

Quote:
Sonaís auras are powerful, but not satisfying to use, and create very little interaction.
^This. Her auras are literally nonexistant in game satisfaction. However I'm not sure about what could be done... Just a free aura offers very little gameplay, I would focus on active effects.

Quote:
Sonaís basic abilities donít have as much skill expression as many other supports.
^That. Just click and enjoy your effect, pretty much regardless of everything else. I would add bonus effects in combination with auras: if u use E while both Q and W auras are up, you get a special effect ( same could be for the ultimate )

Quote:
What do you not like about playing Sona?
What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
-The feeling of being at the console/command center. I can immediatly help where needed and I can shape my auras to what is more important at the moment. For this reason, Q is the worst skill now ( no important effects for the team )
-The passive gameplay
-Deciding what to max up, if W or Q in lane. You could make E an interesting choice too.
-Crescendos, ofc.

Hamut

04-19-2014

I actually really like where Sona is right now (conceptually, I think she feels like she's just worse than other options right now but that's a numbers/tuning thing, not a design thing).

I actually legitimately enjoy using all of sona's skills, but as you have noted before I only notice the active portion (not the aura). Though I know it's there and make sure to keep the right one up it doesn't really feel like interesting gameplay.

Skill specific thoughts:
Q: This skill feels great when it's doing damage (read: in the early levels) but it falls off so hard it basically becomes a way of readying a quick power chord by level 12 (though there is some middle ground, it's not truly useless until late game). This even feels true when I'm building some AP. I really like athene's/lich bane sona support as a way of providing consistent mid to late game poke but even when you're way ahead this just doesn't feel viable (especially with the new lich bane nerfs). This is the kind of build that frost queen's claim enables very well on a champion very suited to using it, but it just doesn't work. I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that it seems strange for a champion defined in part by her poke early game to have no viable options for poking late game.

W: This skill is the weakest feeling of all of Sona's skills. Though the difference is noticeable, it's not really relevant in a fight and is very mana-cost prohibitive. Ay change to this skill should gut invisible power from the aura (possibly change it to something very conditional, increasing healing effects including lifesteal/spellvamp on effected targets?) and add it to the active portion of the skill.

E: This skill feels like it's in a good place. It even feels like it scales acceptably and on AP builds I can notice the difference (but maybe I'm alone in this opinion). I don't think that any change is necessary for this skill.

R: Sona's bread and butter. I also think this is in a good place. I just wish it wasn't so consistently outclassed by other champions. Annie gets this with AP ratios without sacrificing much of anything =( . Still, that's a tuning issue not a design issue (or at least not a design issue with sona).

Other thoughts:
I think the biggest issue with sona is how binary she is. In lane you're either poking the enemy down with undodgeable damage (and your sustaining little enough to not run out of mana) or you're on your back foot healing constantly (and running out of mana) and feeling generally useless. Lategame your team is either strong enough to convert crescendos to kills or everything you do results in your death (because you're basically just a walking crescendo bot). The problem here is partially that crescendo is powerful but not reliable (not that the skill doesn't always work, but because of its understandably long cooldown it's not available) so Sona only has decisions to make 1/10th of the time, while her poke is reliable but not powerful (or even relevant). I think that this gets fixed lategame by giving sona a path to meaningful damage (not burst, just some solid poke), so that you have a backup plan other than cast crescendo and pray and something to do other than wait for crescendo to come off cooldown.

Rilakkuma

Recruiter

04-19-2014

I've played a lot of Sona over the years and have been continuously baffled at her buffs. Her ratios, damage, heals, etc are not the issue.

She can easily "carry the carry" with strong CC and sustain the entire game
She's one of the top tier pokes in any lane (most people just don't understand how to make Valor search for champions)
She can nerf any burst champion's damage into the ground
She can nerf Dragon's damage (or any monster except Baron)
She has a surprisingly high win ratio on SR (#5 this week)
She has the absolute highest win ratio on HA since its inception

The only thing I don't like is messing up which powerchord I want to use. Sometimes having to charge it up when the skill you want to apply is on cooldown is frustrating. If there was some sort of method to cast whatever powerchord you wanted on demand she'd be a legend.

I really think you just need to update her visuals. Make it more obvious what her powerchords are doing. Have an ally only indicator above her head (like Twisted Fate almost) so its easier to see what the effect will be. The pulsing aura around her feet is insufficient when you have multiple auras active (still keep this visual though so enemies know roughly what's up). The buff icon in your status area is also insufficient when you have several buff/debuffs on you...

The Arcade skin is the best at this and really hammers it home that your target now has "DAMAGE DOWN". Apply that to a LeBlanc just before she combos and it DEFINITELY feels rewarding.