Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Forrestfire15

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2014

I'm only Silver, but Sona was one of my first champions, and probably my favorite to play. After player for a long time with her current kit, I think I'd feel a bit sad if she was reworked...

What do you love about playing Sona?

I love the feel of playing her. It's a very fluid playstyle, mostly about quickly moving into and out of Q range and getting off a perfectly-timed spell before dodging out of their engagement range. Her ult is great, but I think that the most defining feature, at least to me, is the Power Chord and Q. The poke damage she gets from it is a huge part of her laning style, and the cycling of abilities to maximize it without running out of mana is probably one of the hardest parts of playing her, making sure you have the right range to actually hit with her Q.

Her ult is great, and a huge part of her teamfighting abilities and her laning (as it's a huge power spike at 6), but I think it's less fun, for me, than her Q and passive in-lane.
What do you not like about playing Sona?
I don't like how she's so squishy early on, honestly. I enjoy the rest of her kit, but she has a nasty weakness to hard engage.
What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
I've already said what I find most fun, but probably the most interesting decision is managing mana and preparing to have an engage if I have my ult up, I guess. She's fairly mana hungry in lane, and generally I float around the 160-200 mana range, so making sure I have the right aura up for an engage, having the ability to switch to a blue Power Chord, and still having the mana to use an ult is important.
What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
Well, besides from the obvious answer of hitting a good ult, I think my answer for this is the early game. If I've managed to play well and get good poke in at levels 1-2, then oftentimes I'll have both enemies trapped under their tower at half or lower health, or even better, I'll have a kill on myself or my ADC. The laning phase is immensely fun for me as Sona, because of how well her kit and playstyle mix.

its2late2say

04-18-2014

I have been playing Sona for most of my time in Season 3.

Sona is a range sp champ, her Q does decent dmg and E gives speed, ulti stuns enemies giving the team
great chance to kill the. W heals hp a bit of hp but still better then nothing. Thus, she can poke for her ADC and even secure kills for herself. Her mobility is not bad being able to Q and run from being poked.
Sona's mana cost is a huge problem. Although her Q does decent damage, she cant really heal or speed up her team constantly.
Her HP and resistance is pretty low. Once she is locked on, she has a low chance of survival.

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
I have ulti the opp team and my team is able to kill them.
Allow ensure my teammate's survival by healing and giving them mobility.
Her Q have some decent range and damage, being able to secure kills.

Cacahao

04-18-2014

Hi! Here is my little grain of sand.

First of all, sorry for my bad english, it isn't my native language and I have to use a dictionary to write my posts u.u

My suggestion is more focused to a great rework of Sona's kit, so sorry if you were looking for some more "little" suggestions.

What if Sona's kit would work similar to how magicka works? If you are looking for a full scale rework, would be nice to a kit that allows you to "create your owns songs" that is thematically good on a musical champion. Im suggesting a kit that have "musical notes" and depending of the notes and the order that you click them, you cast a spell or another.

As I said this is for a major rework, and I'm not sure if this is what you want. But is what I feel how Sona should be.

I'm not sure if I'm expressing correctly, so I will write an example kit:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Passive: Sona's spells are a product of the combination of two musical notes, being each one of her skills a note. Order is important. You can repeat notes.

Q- Musical note of offense: The offensive note. If casted first your spell will have somekind of offensive application. If casted second your spell target will be an enemy.

W- Musical note of defense: The defensive note. If casted first your spell will have somekind of defensive application. If casted second your spell will target an ally.

E - Musical note of utily: The utility note. If casted first your spell will have somekind of utility application. if casted second your spell will be an aura.

R - Crescendo: The same as it is now. this part of her kit is ok to me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example combinations:

Q+Q= her actual Q
Q+W= A skill that buff offensively an ally.
Q+E= her actual Q aura

The major problem with this, is that it would elevate the skill floor of Sona and make her a hard champion to master, and I do not know if it would be hard to designers to do something like this. The advantages is that adds skill satisfaction to sona and that makes yo feel like a musician, in addition to make extremely versatile that maybe could be a problem to game health because of her 10 skills.

Please Rito, I know my english is bad but I would like a reply to know what you think about this.

Archainis

04-18-2014

• Playing As:
    Sona is a great support to start out with (good times supporting myself out of Bronze). She also has a high skill ceiling, with plenty of places to improve if you're looking for them.
  • Playing Against:
    See below. It is worth noting that Sona as a champion tends to attract a certain type of player (generally a little passive, borderline passive-aggressive) and playing around that can be interesting.
  • Playing As:
    Sona is kinda a meta-golem of supports, whereby she lacks a unique utility profile. There aren't really any strategic reasons to pick her (besides "has greatest amount of stats") or not pick her and there isn't much iconic about her kit or playstyle. Also, Song of Celerity (E) is useless in lane.
  • Playing Against:
    Sona has that "wall of stats" feeling. If she's poking you and you can't outsustain it, you'll get pushed out of lane. If you're poking, but not more than she sustains, you're going to run out of resources. There isn't really anything you can do about a Sona besides stay out of range until you want to engage.
  1. What power chord do I want to use?
  2. Should I ult?
  • Chunking a poor soul who underestimated Q+Powerchord(Q)
  • Enabling a chase with Powrchord(E)
  • Turning a fight with ult
  • Getting a save with a max range heal

Random note: It'd be nice if Sona's VO got looked at, a number of them are music-y buzzwords that could be more correct/meaningful.

TL Pride

04-18-2014

Before I get to my Idea Dumping I'll answer the questions. I've never played Sona, but have played against her and understand how she works to a minor degree.

I think it's cool to have a champion with a focus on music, her ult is obviously her biggest strength as it has big rewarding feeling for people who use it, and people with the quickfire response to flash out of it.
I think the areas that make her weak as someone said, while she is a jack of all trades she does seem a bit lack luster until her ult is up. Sure there's the power cord but that could be more interesting. Her kit never seemed interesting enough for me to consider getting her.
can't answer this as I haven't played nor own her. But it seems that thinking about which power chord to use is an important battle aspect.
Can't really answer this one

Okay now for idea dumping. Because seeing a bunch of bad ideas might give you at least one good idea. Some will be general and others will be more specific because reasons.

1. Make power chord more interesting to use
2. People should be able to easily tell which power chord was used
3. Make Q a skill shot that hits breaks into smaller shots that hit nearby enemies
4. Make Q more understandable to use when harassing rather than relying on just prioritizing champions
5. Make the power chord Q spread to nearby enemy units (same as #3 but not a skillshot)
6. Make the heal a tether that heals over time, taking too much damage by you or the tethered ally can break the tether. (thinking of karma mantra W)
7. Make using her abilities feel like you're playing a song
8. Give sona feet
9. Abilities could work the radius in which you would hear the abilities VO
10. The further away from Sona's songs (abilities) the less they effect enemies
11. one of her abilities power chord should root
12. Sona's W should give ally a shield that heals for a percentage of the damage it abosrbs
13. Sona should feel more like a musician
14. Sona's ult should have the same CC effect but work in a radius of her rather than in a straight line (think amumu ult)
15. Sona's abilities could gain stacks as they're used increasing their effectiveness with each stack
16. Give Sona a support variant of Draven's passive
17. Give Sona an ability in which she smacks people with her instrument
18. Try thinking with portals?
19. Make her speed boost aura/ power chord slow increase in effectiveness over a duration (ala wither)
20. Give her a beard

Of course some of these maybe good, some maybe bat **** insane but if it helps spawn that one good idea for her kit then I did my job.

Fearless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

04-18-2014
12 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumlos View Post
I've been waiting for this moment.

Because I'm nostalgic and I suffer from the very human condition of loving storytelling, I'm going to start off this post by saying a bit about my experience playing Sona over the years.
Just wanted to let you know that I read every bit of this, and the Xin+Sona story is exactly the issue that is motivating me. Sona players pull of awesome plays constantly. There are players that make amazing plays all the time with her, but so much of what they do goes unnoticed, because we haven't made Sona communicate as well as other champions. I can't promise that we can make these changes, or if we do, when they would happen. I can say that this post, along with many of the posts in here are very motivating and very inspiring. It's awesome to get to interact with such a rad community.

Aeolian Melodies

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacahao View Post
Hi! Here is my little grain of sand.

First of all, sorry for my bad english, it isn't my native language and I have to use a dictionary to write my posts u.u

My suggestion is more focused to a great rework of Sona's kit, so sorry if you were looking for some more "little" suggestions.

What if Sona's kit would work similar to how magicka works? If you are looking for a full scale rework, would be nice to a kit that allows you to "create your owns songs" that is thematically good on a musical champion. Im suggesting a kit that have "musical notes" and depending of the notes and the order that you click them, you cast a spell or another.

As I said this is for a major rework, and I'm not sure if this is what you want. But is what I feel how Sona should be.

I'm not sure if I'm expressing correctly, so I will write an example kit:
Passive: Sona's spells are a product of the combination of two musical notes, being each one of her skills a note. Order is important. You can repeat notes.

Q- Musical note of offense: The offensive note. If casted first your spell will have somekind of offensive application. If casted second your spell target will be an enemy.

W- Musical note of defense: The defensive note. If casted first your spell will have somekind of defensive application. If casted second your spell will target an ally.

E - Musical note of utily: The utility note. If casted first your spell will have somekind of utility application. if casted second your spell will be an aura.

R - Crescendo: The same as it is now. this part of her kit is ok to me.

Example combinations:

Q+Q= her actual Q
Q+W= A skill that damages a bit and reduces enemy defenses.
Q+E= her actual Q aura

The major problem with this, is that it would elevate the skill floor of Sona and make her a hard champion to master, and I do not know if it would be hard to designers to do something like this. The advantages is that adds skill satisfaction to sona and that makes yo feel like a musician, in addition to make extremely versatile that maybe could be a problem to game health because of her 10 skills.

Please Rito, I know my english is bad but I would like a reply to know what you think about this.
Reminiscent of the Invoker in DOTA, which is a concept Riot has explicitly said countless of times that they would not include in their game because the burden of knowledge it forces on player is too high.

Fearless

Game Designer

04-18-2014
13 of 25 Riot Posts

Alright, I'm heading out for now, so I'll probably be less frequent in posting, but I'll still be checking in, reading up tonight and over the weekend. Please keep posting your thoughts, and I can't say how much I appreciate everyone contributing.

Bonquisha

04-18-2014

Where am i

Cosmic Heart

04-18-2014

- Harassing is a lot of fun. I actually like the power her auras bring, but I can see why people may not like it because it does frequently go unnoticed. I love her heal and I've always liked champions with that ability. Of course I love her ultimate and the surprise flash + ult combo. She is squishy, but I think it's fun to outplay/outsmart over-aggressive enemies with her. As other people mentioned, Sona is good champion to learn proper positioning with.

- Her E is a little lackluster, in my opinion. Other people may really like it, but I level it very late in the game. The movement speed aura and active aren't very good in my opinion, but her passive + E can be very useful. Sona is obviously very squishy so mobile assassins can destroy you before you can react.

- Wondering when to ult or wondering if you should flash + ult. It's usually better to initiate with ult, but you need to know when to use it defensively too. Knowing when it's OK to harass and knowing when harassing is dangerous (Sona is basically always in danger lol).

- As others have mentioned, it's usually how and when you use your ult. Other than that, it's early game harass and damage that can make plays if you and your ADC are in sync.

I love Sona. She is my favorite champion and I'm interested what changes (if any) are in store for her.