Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Battletick

04-18-2014

Last time we had on of these threads on GD they nerfed Sona. RIP Sona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Sonaís auras are powerful, but not satisfying to use, and create very little interaction.
Sonaís basic abilities donít have as much skill expression as many other supports.
Yeah... Sona's getting nerfed for sure, now it's just how hard?

Ezeon

04-18-2014

rework sona pls

Fearless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

04-18-2014
11 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Ban Sona View Post
1) The best possible scenario for Sona currently is that she is a jack of all trades support. She can be useful in nearly any situation, both actively and passively. The problem with her having access to so many useful perks, is that they seem to be undertuned...
Thank you for the super well thought out post. You bring up a very good block about the itemization dilemma especially, and that's something that at least I hadn't thought of as a core problem for Sona, that we definitely have to be aware of as we make changes.

We do have some ideas of how Sona could still have the experience of making her team stronger through her positioning and timing choices with her abilities. This thread isn't as much about trying to get all the answers from you guys, but making sure we have all the problems right.

Aeolian Melodies

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battletick View Post
Last time we had on of these threads on GD they nerfed Sona. RIP Sona.

Yeah... Sona's getting nerfed for sure, now it's just how hard?
Yeah I remember the "hey guys we want to discuss Sona, what do you like the most? "
players: "well we really like her poke, and her ult..."

following patch: **** YOU POWERCHORD DMG

so I replied to his question but idk if I'll end up regretting this >.>

Fock Raet Gumis

04-18-2014

I favor the concept of playing a resourceless champion alongside sona because it can be a strategically sound option.

Furi Kuri II

04-18-2014

Quote:
Thank you for the super well thought out post. You bring up a very good block about the itemization dilemma especially, and that's something that at least I hadn't thought of as a core problem for Sona, that we definitely have to be aware of as we make changes.

We do have some ideas of how Sona could still have the experience of making her team stronger through her positioning and timing choices with her abilities. This thread isn't as much about trying to get all the answers from you guys, but making sure we have all the problems right.
Make sure to kill Sona mid, because you guys cant have a support going in other lanes.

ShenpaiPlsNotice

04-18-2014

Sona was the first champ I ever played, and until Season 4, My go-to support (my main role). Sona has nice simplicity for starting players. However she also gets a tiny bit of complexity from her passive.

The things I liked about her:
1.In season 2 when I was just starting, I liked building aura items on her, just so being there could turn fights. When stacked with Mana manipulator, aegis, soulshroud, zeke's, wota, et al. she had an impressive "I turn the tide by showing up" feel. obviously this changed overtime, but I always enjoy her auras even without items now. She very much feels "like a bard".

2. Her high-risk high-reward playstyle. I enjoyed when in season 3 you gave us the "bandit" mastery that rewards you for harassing the opponent. It encouraged hit-and-run pokes. Her squishiness made it more fun actually. A mistake would make you dead usually.

3. Her passive is one of my favorites in the game. Much burst. such damage. wow.

4. love her micromanaging.

However, currently she doesn't feel like she fits in league right now. My dislikes:

1. there is little reward to harassing tanky supports like leona or thresh and annie has such better burst damage. When Annie support became a thing, Sona was suddenly no longer the best at what she was for a long time; early game harass. Also the meta changed so junglers don't gank as often and the game is much less focused on the first ten minutes. Overall, this was a great thought, Sona just happened to be a casualty of these changes. Basically, She has no lane presence until level 6

2. If you aren't in communication with your carry, your harass does little to nothing. If you don't (or are unable to) be overly aggresive early on, you probably won't win your lane and you'll sit there, bored.

3. Her Song of celerity really doesn't seem useful. I know it is, but it feels so bland. In lane, it seems to only really matter if disengaging.

4. Her Aria of Perserverence and Song of Celerity Power chords feel not as "cool" as Hymn's Chord.

5. Interactivity. She needs more.

6. Sona needs more moments then just ulting.

Interesting decisions include: where, when and who to stun with ult. When the best time to use a power chord. On whom to use a chord. Which chord to use. And whether to Prioritize harass or sustain during laning phase.

Obviously moments that feel as though I was a play maker are things like:
1. Initiating a teamfight with a well placed flash-ult.
2. Speeding up the jungler as he ganks the lane, ESPECIALLY if it is Hecarim, Rammus or Shyvana.
3. Using q and then a Sheen/Lich bane/Gauntlet triggered autoattack dropping down someone's health by half of more, whether as harass, an engage or a "disengage persuader".

Also, could she have some sort of visual change? Currently her head is smaller then Annie's hand, and it's especially noticeable on the muse and pentakill skins.

Best Hunk 2015

04-18-2014

I hope you'll keep her ap build contribution intact D;

FirinUpMuhLazer

04-18-2014

Before we butcher Sona for not being "fun" enough, let's really talk about what we want from the support class. Right now, the way I see it, the support class is being systematically eliminated from the game. The support position has been completely void of the support class for two seasons now, and even more, the support class champs are being reworked into... things that aren't very reminiscient of themselves. Raka is hardly the white mage we've all wanted her to be, and realistically with her current kit, is just better off being accepted as more of a magic bruiser then a support. Janna always has been picked for her disengagement ult more so then any other ability she has, and lulu is piece by piece losing her buff/debuff abilities in favor of damage.

And now, one of the last vestiges of support, our beautiful spoony bard herself, is being looked at as being not fun enough for the general populace. Well I acknowledge, and I'm sure most are able to say, supporting isn't for everyone, heck it isn't even for many people. But is it so wrong to want to play something that isn't damage/initiation. Sometimes I want to be a bard, or a dancer, or especially my favorite class the white mage. I know these aren't particularly fun for a lot of people, but there's over 100 champs, can't they just go play someone else.

So before we completely eliminate the support class from the game, can we at least re-evaluate why we're doing it.

P.S. Instead of warping sona into something other than a bard, can we instead spend that energy making Zil the time mage he should have been.

Aeolian Melodies

04-18-2014

Quote:

Eh, not trying to be snide but itemization is an issue with every support atm, you can either go AP then wonder why you didn't pick a mage support if you were going to build AP because you would deal more upfront dmg while CCing the enemies anyway, or you can build tanky utility (talisman-locket-crucible...) and then it does nothing to improve your OWN kit, essentially making you the packing mule of the team.

I like making plays with Talisman and saving butts with Crucible/Locket. I don't like that I can't use MY gold to improve MY kit - well, actually, I can, but realistically the team is much better off with a support who builds Talisman + Locket than Zhonya + Deathcap.