Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Furi Kuri II

04-18-2014

Oh Riot is going to rework nerf another champ :/

Shadow x Bringer

04-18-2014

What do you love about playing Sona? I love her positioning and the micromanagement she has for her passive is what I love the most about her. As for each skill her...
I'll go with each of her skills in order
Q - This is great as it is good harass and gives you the feeling of damage as a support, where you typically are lacking as a support. And the Auto Q is great as it allows you to be a damaging threat and gives you a point to micromanage your abilities to get to the damage.
W - As far as this goes, it is an alright spot. Gives you the heal you want but it is hard to do the save heals, but more often than not it does do what you want for healing. And the aura for it is really nice for tanking turrets and such. Her Auto W is lack luster aside for trying to weaken an enemy tank.
E - I love her E, a really nice team wide movement speed buff. The aura is nice for chasing, and the burst of speed on using it is great. And for the Auto E it does its job as a slow and CC outside of her ult. The slow it gives is strong and great for peeling or setting up ganks.
R - It's perfect, has a bit of a hard time landing, but if you are able to then you get rewarded with a huge stun. It's great for initiating fights or for disengaging fights. It is an all around great ability that is satisfying. Although it is true that it is her best point, and others don't think about her other abilities. Really the only thing I don't like is her W.

What do you not like about playing Sona? First off, it's her squishness and the fact you need to get in close to be effective, but you can easily get destroyed.
Q - The fact that it's range is kind of weird imo. But for the most part i love everything about the ability.
W - The heal is kind of weak for the fact that it is an uncontrollable 2 person heal. It could be buffed up a bit. The aura is really nice. The Auto on it though, is kind of pointless and just doesn't compete with the rest.
E - It's really great, some passive movement speed on it's aura. The burst of chasing speed is really useful, but barely lasts anytime so it could be a bit better. The Auto is amazing for the slow it gives, which is really strong.
R - Aside for the fact it can be hard to pull off without a flash, its pretty good.

What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona? When, who, and how to ult. Then just her micromanaging for her abilities to get the right passive proc and then just the aura bouncing in fights for which ones to use at certain points.

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like you've made a play for your team? The best feeling is the amazing flash crescendos onto a whole team. Other than that it would be her in lane poke with bullying people in lane with all parts of her Q.

As for how I got this opinions is that I'm a support main, and Sona has been one of my favorite supports ever since I started the role back in S2. She is satisfying with her abilities and aura control. The best part is her micromanagement. I know you said it was nothing about being weak or strong that brought this up, but I must admit that she is still really strong even if she isn't even "in meta".
If you want to ask me anything then just message me as I, along with any other Sona lovers, don't want to see her get ruined.

Sonas Boobs

04-18-2014

If she is getting changed, pls no nerf me

Davidleo24

04-18-2014

Please.. keep the damage she has. My favorite part of sona is stealing kills with Empowered Q+aa.

Better Ban Sona

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Hey all,

With the continuing goal of making Support players have more meaningful gameplay and enjoy their choices throughout each game of League of Legends, weíre looking at making sure Sona feels as awesome as possible.

Things that are already pretty awesome:

Sonaís role as a buff/enabler support is solid and rewarding.

Sonaís ult is impactful and allows Sona players to make big plays that they and their team can appreciate.

Things that need to be more awesome:

Sonaís auras are powerful, but not satisfying to use, and create very little interaction.

Sonaís basic abilities donít have as much skill expression as many other supports.

These are my current thoughts, as a dude who has been thinking about Sona gameplay a lot lately. I want you to tell me where Iím on track, where Iím wrong, and where Iím totally missing something.

Other things I want to hear from you:

What do you love about playing Sona?

What do you not like about playing Sona?

What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
1) The best possible scenario for Sona currently is that she is a jack of all trades support. She can be useful in nearly any situation, both actively and passively. The problem with her having access to so many useful perks, is that they seem to be undertuned. For example, her W offers a heal, armor, MR, and damage reduction; however each of these values are comparatively incredibly low compared to other champions abilities (this is also partially due to the low CD, which in turn also makes the ability a mana sink in many situations).

2) The most interesting decisions when playing Sona lie in her power chords. Utilizing the right one at the right time is what separates good Sona players from great ones (well, that and mana management in early game). However, her power chords do not feel nearly as strong as they used to, and this is largely due to the changes made to utility scaling recently. Sona got next to no scaling utility compared to other supports, and took a much larger hit to her damage in the process. The slow doesn't scale nearly as much as it should in my opinion; and the damage reduction scaling, while very useful, does not appear noticeable at all.

3) Late game, Sona is a floating ult bot. Her power chords are useful, her auras are useful, her skills do next to nothing at this point of the game, but her ult will always be devastating, even if the damage factor was to be completely removed. There are a number of changes that could be made to make her ult weaker, but it wouldn't feel quite as useful in many of these cases. I believe the trick lies in making her ult harder to use most effectively, but keeping the reward factor for best use cases just as high. This would still allow more power to be placed back into the rest of her kit. As a specific example, reducing the width on her ultimate would make the skill harder to hit a larger number of player, but she can keep the same damage and stun length, and perhaps have some other portions of her kit (W and E pleeease) buffed to a level where they actually feel useful to use.

Sona's biggest problem currently is this. If she builds AP to utilize utility scaling, and she gets sneezed on, she dies. If she builds bulky in order to ensure she is around longer during fights, it increases the use cases for her auras and actives, but at the cost of her abilities feeling like they do not do anything. She cannot follow both of these build paths effectively, and therefore does not feel like a useful contribution to the team at this point. If skill changes were to be made, increasing her bulkiness would not be the way to go (I personally believe Sona should be squishy if she does not itemize defense, it only seems logical for her character type). I do believe though, some changes to her kit for when she does not build AP will greatly increase the cases in which she can be useful to a team. Examples of this would be altering her healing skill (perhaps removing the armor/MR buff from the active, and instead granting flat damage prevention to the target and herself?), and her movement skill, which aura wise is still pitifully useless. The active on her movement skill does feel powerful at higher ranks, but at lower ranks its only useful to proc the slow power chord.

Quote:
The concern isn't that Sona is weak or strong, but that a ton of her power is in stuff that isn't fun. The goal would be to make Sona a lot more fun for Sona players, her allies, and her opponents with a lot more ways that everyone interacts with Sona's cool stuff.
I believe a lot of this has to do with how much impact her auras cause, without them being entirely visible. I personally am not sure how to change this at this point. The other aspect is her low cooldowns, and the minimal effect her skills can cause because of them.

First of all, the global cooldown reduction many patches ago made Sona much more fun to use, and incredibly more powerful. This is an aspect that should absolutely be kept regardless of other changes.

I would personally prefer her cooldowns be kept as low as they are as a whole, outside of maybe her ultimate (which in all honestly, could use a slight increase, if other portions of her kit were to be buffed).

In order to make her low cooldown skills feel more powerful, some pieces would need to be buffed, at the cost of others being removed (unless of course her ult was just nerfed, as I have said a few times before now (hint hint)).

Quote:
This is exactly the though that got this going. Sona deserves more high moments than just landing her ult.
Last time I'll say it, I promise :3

Reduce the cases in which her ult is incredibly useful. The best ways to do this would be a cooldown increase and width reduction. Add power back into the rest of her kit to compensate; specifically target her W and E.

Quote:
I very much can imagine changes that not only keep Sona's heal, but make it a skill that has more impact and a lot more gameplay. Currently, Sona's heal is really good at keeping an ally topped off, and really pretty bad at saving an ally. That makes it best at the situation with the least satisfaction, and worst at the situation with the biggest payoff.

We can do better.
Covered this earlier, but I should reiterate that a percentage damage reduction bonus attached to the active, rather than increased armor/MR aura for that short time, would make the skill much more beneficial and impactful in key moments to use.

Vortex IV

04-18-2014

So now they're gutting Sona after nerfing her patch after patch after patch? The "rewarding" Sona was the one from about a year ago or more. Where her Q/passive poke was strong enough to be feared, where her W actually healed somebody correctly for the ridiculous early 1/3 of your mana cost, and E actually made a noticable move speed difference. And the auras used to be powerful enough where it mattered which one you had up at the time, now they're nerfed into mediocrity to the point where that "choice" doesn't matter anymore.

You guys aren't going to be happy until she really is a floating 300g pinata are you? Either revert her entire laat year of nerfs or leave her alone. Some things don't need change.

Renaito Yuujou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2014

Quote:
What do you love about playing Sona?
What do you not like about playing Sona?
What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
What I like about Sona is the feeling I get of being able to zone my enemies out through fear of being hit with my Q. I don't have this feeling nearly as often as I did a year or so ago, and I'd like to have it back. I sort of feel neat looking at Sona as a floating sentry bot that sometimes shoots hot plasma death and sometimes shoots healing waves, and sometimes but not as often speed boosts.

I don't like being a floating target. I don't like that if someone looks at me the wrong way I'm either dead or almost dead.

One of my most interesting decisions when playing Sona is timing the armor buff on the heal. Not quite as potent as Soraka's armor buff, but every little bit counts.

Clutch heals and clutch speed boosts make me feel like I've made an impact for the team. Like healing somebody up just enough to avoid death from an enemy's skill or speeding someone up just enough to be out of range of that Nid spear/Thresh hook/whatever.

Aeolian Melodies

04-18-2014

Quote:
This is definitely a big problem. Sona's auras do have power, arguably a lot of power. The problem is that they are immensely hard to appreciate, and it makes Sona feel like she isn't contributing, even when she is.

Every change we've talked about has been all about maintaining the intent of each ability, but making Sona's contribution, and therefore the Sona player's skill, much more obvious and fulfilling.
Have you ever thought about giving Sona's allies a distinctive colored glow (aura's color = glow's color) when they're affected by her auras? Imo it would help reminding them that they're being buffed by her presence, having an icon ontop of your toolips is nice but it's not as "visual" imo as a glow/hue...

Same for Diminuendo, it is very powerful but I feel like unless I'm using Arcade Sona my teammates can never know I used it, so how can they capitalize on it or be like "wow, she freaking saved my ass there" if they can't SEE it?

Imo we shouldn't be looking into "what invisible power can we remove from her and still make her fun to play?", we should be thinking "so, how do we make that power visible?".

fridgy44

04-18-2014

Sona was one of the first champs I ever actually learned how to play. The most fulfililng part of sona's kit is with q than power cord you can help poke down that lane. W is nice with really aggressive lanes but feels weak. You can keep your carry topped off but for the special I just made a great play moment I've never really felt its been there. E is well E. When proced with power cord it just doesn't feel like a lot. Its like ok I slowed them a little bit but here they are on me once again in no time. Just compared to other champions she feels weak just out played in every part of her kit other than her ult. What I would like to see is a more rewarding power cord use. Power cord is great when used with Q. W meh not so much I don't believe I've ever noticed a dramatic spike in lose of power from the enemy you put it on. E with power cord is by far the least fulfiling. You slow for just a brief moment but not long enough to make a mistake or have them pay for being out of position. So what I would like to see is a change with the power cord of W and E make them so when you use them you actually notice is and feel like your contributing rather than just spam the 3 abilities and use Q for power cord.

Pentacle666

04-18-2014

If her heal was stronger and her auras either had ap scaling or were percentage scaling she would be great.