Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cushiondude

04-18-2014

Maybe I play sona differently from most people, but I build her straight ap and go for the pokes. It's extremely satisfying with a lich bane to poke then auto attack with a Q and make the enemy wonder where 70% or more of their hp went. I get great enjoyment from spamming everything in a team fight and keep my allies in good shape enough to get the tower, kill a few people, and be strong enough afterwards to back up. The auras aren't visually satisfying but you can definitely tell when there is a sona there and not out of mana. The active effects are quite powerful though with an ap build.

Perhaps the itemization for sona is more satisfying when you build ap as opposed to the typical support items. As long as you remember to leave base with a ward, you can perform the support roll fine.

Aria Sachou

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Hey all,

With the continuing goal of making Support players have more meaningful gameplay and enjoy their choices throughout each game of League of Legends, weíre looking at making sure Sona feels as awesome as possible.

Things that are already pretty awesome:

Sonaís role as a buff/enabler support is solid and rewarding.
Sonaís ult is impactful and allows Sona players to make big plays that they and their team can appreciate.

Things that need to be more awesome:

Sonaís auras are powerful, but not satisfying to use, and create very little interaction.
Sonaís basic abilities donít have as much skill expression as many other supports.

These are my current thoughts, as a dude who has been thinking about Sona gameplay a lot lately. I want you to tell me where Iím on track, where Iím wrong, and where Iím totally missing something.

Other things I want to hear from you:

What do you love about playing Sona?
What do you not like about playing Sona?
What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
1. Boobs
2. Not her boobs
3. when I decide on her boobs
4. the moment when boobs

Worst Riven EUNA

04-18-2014

Sona is, by far, my favorite support. It's very late for me now, so I wont be able to write a long post, but here's my short version:

Sona is fun overall, and I feel she has enough interaction through her Q and E + passive procs. Her ultimate can be gamechanging, but is not particularly powerful on its own, damage or CC wise, very much reliant on a teammate following up most of the time (why I am pointing this out: Thresh's Box, while not hard CC, does a very good amount of AoE damage with good scaling that allows him to chunk other players. Sona's feels not particularly satisfactory damage-wise even with high AP in comparison. While you might draw the argument that her Q does damage, thresh's E active and passive can do that as well.)

Her heal is good, but gated by a relatively high mana cost early that doesn't let her spam it in lane, unless she wants to forfeit poke, which is her strongest and most satisfying point in my opinion.

Issues with Sona:

a) Her poke is good, however since adcs began to actively use Lifesteal quints and tanky supports being dominant with their health regeneration, it can sometimes feel pointless. You can chunk off a 3rd of their health with a timed Q+passive proc combo, but they are not too hard-pressed to heal it back up. This makes her poke undesirable, especially considering how vulnerable it makes her to a counter-attack, which is vary dangerous due to how squishy and immobile she is. I am not sure what to suggest here. A flat damage increase can make the skill too powerful. A weaker version of grievous wounds (20-30%?) addition to it might still be pretty broken, but its the only thing I can think of at the moment. Will ponder more when awake.

b) Her E, both passive and active feel completely useless early game. I realize that it gives a good deal of power when maxed, but going for Q and W first is almost always far better an option. I would suggest buffing the base values of E's passive, while nerfing the AP ratios to prevent her letting her team fly around the map lategame, while keeping it more relevant early. Right now, the only reason you'd put a point in it at level 4 is for the slow, which is relatively okay.

c) Increased AP ratio on ult would help a bit, especially considering the lich bane nerf recently. Sona is very fun as damage, but rarely gets to build it, since she needs her slots filled with support items most of the time, which do not provide much in the way of AP. It would help her feel more relevant lategame, outside of being a walking aura with a stun that does only CC, and almost no damage.

Probably going to get downvoted since I only asked for buffs, but. Too sleepy here to think straight. Will try to write a more constructive post tomorrow.

Charles Barkley

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2014

I love the variety of tools that Sona has and I love that she is squishy while also being high impact. I feel that I can win any lane as her - even the more dangerous ones like Annie and Leona - just by being a skilled player and making proper use of power chords.

I dislike how, after the laning phase, there is little gameplay to how Sona's kit is used. In lane you regularly make use of all three power chords and all three auras if you play properly. Once the laning phase is over, however, you press Q to hurt people a little bit, you press W whenever it's up to heal people and you press E to speed people up. You aren't really doing anything. Nobody to target, nothing to aim, just stand near someone and press those three buttons.

Crescendo is fine, I don't have any problems with Crescendo although I understand that it might be too strong if her other abilities are made to be more impactful.

Waiting for that perfect moment for enough people to group up so that I can initiate with a flash -> Crescendo is probably the most fulfilling, for obvious reasons. I think that has to stay if any changes are made. I also like the strategy of which chords do I need to use during the laning phase. If I'm just going for harass -> Q. If our AD carries are duking it out -> W. If the enemy jungler ganks -> E. I find that during the mid/late game I'm only using the E power chord aside from the rare opportunity that I need to finish someone off with a Q power chord.

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?

I can't count the number of times I've won fights by doing flash -> Crescendoes only to get immediately blown up while my team finishes the fight. I also enjoy peeling through constant E and W power chords to both slow and reduce damage.

Overall I enjoy laning as Sona the most and like the impact of Crescendo in the late game. I just feel that after the laning phase is over Sona doesn't utilize the remainder of her kit in the same way other supports do. I'm pretty certain that a Sona with only Crescendo would still be viable after 40 minutes or so, but I want to be doing more than just ulting despite how much I enjoy her ultimate.

Drakonitus

04-18-2014

I just think that Sona Q could be stronger and a skillshot. =p

DarkvolcanReborn

04-18-2014

lets not talk about her and leave her alone

Best Dota 2 Sona

04-18-2014

Quote:
The concern isn't that Sona is weak or strong, but that a ton of her power is in stuff that isn't fun. The goal would be to make Sona a lot more fun for Sona players, her allies, and her opponents with a lot more ways that everyone interacts with Sona's cool stuff.
When you constantly emphasize on "fun" you are bound to be blind-sided of the aspect of viability to competitive play. Please do think through and make it a viable competitive champ.

Pangrine

04-18-2014

inb4 they "rework" her in the following ways

Q: Half the damage, +.1 AP ratio

W: Base heal changed to 5/10/15/20/25 with .005 AP ratio. But no worries, she now gets utility scaling of .1 bonus Armor/Magic Resist. Buff duration lowered to 0.5 seconds to compensate for the "amazing" additional utility scaling.

E: Range reduced to 500 units. Scaling reduced to .1 for the Active and .2 for the debuff. But don't worry, they'll compensate by lowering the mana cost to 60.

R: Stuns for only .5 seconds now. Because a support shouldn't have Aoe CC.

Bort

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2014

Quote:
Things that are already pretty awesome:
Sonaís role as a buff/enabler support is solid and rewarding.
Sonaís ult is impactful and allows Sona players to make big plays that they and their team can appreciate.

Things that need to be more awesome:
Sonaís auras are powerful, but not satisfying to use, and create very little interaction.
Sonaís basic abilities donít have as much skill expression as many other supports.

Awesome Things
1.) Not to nitpick but the buffing and enabling is far from rewarding - solid absolutely, but really that the point of all this right. I made my ally make the play, but no one goes "OMG Did you see sona pull out that MS buff to close the 25 extra range needed for Caitlin to get that last shot in!"
2.) Sona's Ult is the only "play" she can make.

Lacking Things
1.) Sona's Auras are powerful but they are just stats, and they balanced around the idea they provide the benefit to a team. It means the less her team is grouped up the weaker she is, and that power is hard to notice at all. Doing something a little better will never be exciting, its gotta be meaningful, and while that means it needs to have a greater cost (CD/Mana/etc.) - thats what builds excitement.
2.)Certainly true, short of exceptional positioning, there's little difference you can make when you use them.

Feedback
1.) I love playing sona because she is versatile, because she was the first champ I ever played, because I have lots of cool skins for her.
2.) I don't like that my contributions go unnoticed. I don't like being so vulnerable early.
3.) When to ult and What spell to power cord, I feel like everything else is too easy.
4.) Outside of a good ult, maybe an item activation.

Ideas
I think her aura's can do similar things but work in a way that perhaps focuses her power budget on a bigger payoffs and less lingering effects. When I do something like a power chord it could mean more, even if its harder to pull off. I dont really want a Sona that walks around with a proc like a support annie though.

GwingMaster

04-18-2014

Quote:
Hey all,

1.) I love her laning phase. There's actually a great sense of high-risk, high-reward to her that I don't think enough people appreciate. She's VERY squishy and vulnerable to ganks, but her kit and poking ability reward aggressive players who poke often and bully their opponents. Understanding how to balance aggressive poking and safe play are the best parts of playing her. Obviously Crescendo in team fights is hugely satisfying when done right.

2.) Late game she just feels so damn useless. I know she isn't, but after that crescendo you're pretty much left to spam auras in team fights. This is fine if you land the ult and win the fight, but if things start going badly you have almost nothing at your disposable to turn the tide. She also has very little means to protect her carry beyond heals and small move speed buffs.

3.) As mentioned above - the laning phase. When you're getting pushed hard, you can max her heal and play passive. Optimally, you'll be poking like crazy and maxing that Q to establish lane dominance. Knowing when to be very aggressive and when to back off is a big part of being good with Sona in lane. The added pressure of being super squishy magnifies this.

4.) Pretty much just hitting that crescendo at a crucial moment. It's about the only truly impactful part of her kit. There are brief moments in lane where you might land a solid power chord + a heal on your adc to swing a trade in your favor, but for Sona it's ALL about nailing that crescendo. Extra points if you do it off a flash.