Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Basic Payne

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
At this point, I just want to make sure that my thoughts on Sona were in line with the rest of the players. There have been some talks about where Sona could go, and things we can do to make her much more rewarding, but there's nothing prototyped. We're not even sure that changing Sona would be worth the disruption to people who love Sona already. I wanted to make sure that if we did anything, that every change we made would be something that solved problems that our players cared about.
Honestly, I love Sona the way she is, she is honestly fun for me to play because I feel like she makes a good impact on a match and can come back into a game easier than some other supports can. The Frostfang changes and nerfs to Annie, Thresh, and Leona made her a safe pick to go bot again, and she is at the balanced winrate of 52% according to Lolking. If she received a rework, there is a huge chance I wouldnt wanna touch her again because she was my first support, and seeing her get changed to something stale like other supports, killing her uniqueness, would make me feel poorly playing her.

HOWEVER, if you do make any changes to her, it would be great if you brought her ult up to date with a standard 100 mana cost at all levels like every other champion has been updated to

GG Crono

04-18-2014

While her auras may have a lot of "invisible power", I like being able to switch between offensive, defensive and speed "mode" on the fly depending on what my team needs. And trying to whack an opponent with just the right passive attack is fun too.

kongajinken

04-18-2014

Don't make her more manual. A possibly odd thing to say, but I feel strongly about. Basically a lot of what Sona does is using her skills, when they are supposed to be used. Not activating trying to individually targeting each of her q's as skill shots. Not pressing w and using heal on a certain area, not pressing e and choosing who it casts on. Its about one thing, using her abilities when they are needed, knowing when to use them, and knowing that when you press that button its going to do that specific thing. NOT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT LINING UP SKILL SHOTS OR OTHER CIRCLES. I seriously can't stress that enough. I can't begin to describe how nice it is to sit down and play a support class that is more about thought, than about having quick reflexes for precision. A more methodical game play style if you will. That's my biggest concern. Trying to take that away, would be equivalent to taking away Soraka's heal and "buffing" her. It just wouldn't feel like the same champ anymore. I'll go as far and say, everything you said you dislike about her worries me, I would rather nothing happen to her than risk any "improvements" be given to her.

TenSlashTen

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapster View Post
Just let Scruffy rework her and she'll be perfect :^)
lmfao!..
I hope you do well with sona riot.
Its the only support my girlfriend likes and my korean friend whos name translate to "flower" likes as well and shes in Diamond 2 and thats all she plays.
Don't skarner/rengar them.
Please and thank you.

Fearless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

04-18-2014
8 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG Crono View Post
While her auras may have a lot of "invisible power", I like being able to switch between offensive, defensive and speed "mode" on the fly depending on what my team needs. And trying to whack an opponent with just the right passive attack is fun too.
Seeing lots of feedback that people do very much appreciate her flexibility and the distinct modes her different abilities provide. Those were definitely elements we thought were cool, and probably want to punch up even more if we were to make changes.

Tortferngatr

04-18-2014

What if Sona's autoattacks had a persistent effect (or were like Dawngate's Zalgus and only procced current Power Chord effects on a fixed CD), and her Power Chords were better versions of her Q/W/E (and temporarily, the aura) every third consecutive spellcast?

What if she could cast up to 3 spells before any of them went on CD, but consecutively casting the same ability had an increased mana cost?

Raptor6789

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongajinken View Post
Don't make her more manual. A possibly odd thing to say, but I feel strongly about. Basically a lot of what Sona does is using her skills, when they are supposed to be used. Not activating trying to individually targeting each of her q's as skill shots. Not pressing w and using heal on a certain area, not pressing e and choosing who it casts on. Its about one thing, using her abilities when they are needed, knowing when to use them, and knowing that when you press that button its going to do that specific thing. NOT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT LINING UP SKILL SHOTS OR OTHER CIRCLES. I seriously can't stress that enough. I can't begin to describe how nice it is to sit down and play a support class that is more about thought, than about having quick reflexes for precision. A more methodical game play style if you will. That's my biggest concern. Trying to take that away, would be equivalent to taking away Soraka's heal and "buffing" her. It just wouldn't feel like the same champ anymore. I'll go as far and say, everything you said you dislike about her worries me, I would rather nothing happen to her than risk any "improvements" be given to her.
I agree - Sona's different playstyle is pretty cool, but I think there are ways to maker her more "interactive" or perceptively more impactful without making her more mechanically difficult - the idea in this thread earlier about having auras based on her position, for example, or the idea I had about having her skill order have an effect on subsequent skills.

Isaacqwerty

04-18-2014

Sona feels like she was built to lane (which is fine!). Heal an ally. Poke 2 enemy champs *cough* botlane *cough*.
And late game you're definitely weaker overall. "League of Mobility" was coined for a reason, there's so much mobility that you tend to get caught and deleted. Even if you're with your whole team, no ult means your team is fighting 4v5. Maybe 4.25v5

IF something HAD TO change. I would pick the movement speed spell. Its undervalued, yes, but its on such a fine line to balance (too little = too weak, too much = mini-sivir/karma OP). I would almost rather have something that makes Sona more relevant to a teamfight even after her ult is down.

Actually now that I think about it, I don't really enjoy the MS buff. In laning phase its usually so weak you dont notice any change. Mid/Late game where Sona MIGHT get ~200 AP, it pales in comparison to other engage/disengage tools (Talisman).

Ultimately, she's out of favor in this Meta of mobility. Too many people can engage instantly. But when the meta shifts... she'll be back.

P.S. I would LOVE to see some kind of rhythm mechanic

Thales

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
This is definitely a big problem. Sona's auras do have power, arguably a lot of power. The problem is that they are immensely hard to appreciate, and it makes Sona feel like she isn't contributing, even when she is.

Every change we've talked about has been all about maintaining the intent of each ability, but making Sona's contribution, and therefore the Sona player's skill, much more obvious and fulfilling.
Isn't it not just that she's providing auras, but that they're auras that grant stats? Raw stats don't scream power; they provide an incremental advantage. Perhaps if her auras were smaller but granted flashier benefits?

Rengar is life

04-18-2014

What if her auras powered up over time?

It could be a brief wind up period, but if you want to solidify her game-specific 'present' role then she could hold out an aura that's more beneficial for her time for some time.

The difficulty then is bringing her other skills into play and why you'd abandon your current aura. Seeing as she uses songs, I can think of a few clever ways to merge it all together.