Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maximum LeBroken

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Mad Pierrot View Post
She's the soccer mom passing out oranges after a game.
THE BEST QUOTE TO DESCRIBE EVER.

+1000 percent!

Raz al Ghul

04-18-2014

I feel like the interactivity with her passive is bland. You just cast thrice and then can autoattack based on the last casting. Since she's a musician, it'd be neat to have her build the chord based on the last three casts. Here are two suggestions to increase interactivity.

3 Qs = Tons of damage enhanced auto
3 Ws = Bigger debuffer
3 Es = Slower slow
QWW = Extra damage on base of her passive, plus lesser debuffer on the target
QWE = Least bonus damage on passive, least debuff, least slow
... and so forth.

You'd have more interactivity with her rather than just mashing. Maybe make her most recent spell bump the oldest one out of the three if she hasn't autoattacked yet.

Perhaps another approach would be to enhance her passive based on allies/enemies she's recently hit. So her Q passive hit gets a bonus based on number of enemy champs you've hit in your last 3 casts. Her W could do more debuffing based on how many allies the heal has hit (aside from Sona herself). Her E slows more based on number of allies you've sped up. Obviously you can boost these values by casting the same spell multiple times rather than just pulling off a quick QWE to power up the passive.

Katamari Skill

04-18-2014

I don't see much wrong with the uninteractive playstyle of Sona I just want it to be completely uninteractive while silently impacting the game. Don't see the problem with doing a little but gaining a lot saves plenty of skillshots.

GhastlyGhoulMan

04-18-2014

Hmm... this is a good question.

When I play Sona, I'd have to agree that landing that ult is sooo epic... and probably the most epic part of her kit. If you miss it though, or it's on cooldown, you just feel like you can't contribute much to the team (even if you are. I'm not saying she contributes nothing, but for a captivating musician that is supposed to take center stage before friends and foes alike she just feels "meh". Like, in the huge orchestra that is your team, she's more like the triangle player in the background than the lead soloist she's meant to be. And like said triangle player, the music (and team) still benefits from having her, but honestly, who in the audience is going to notice the triangle player, or even their contribution?

I'd agree that her heal outside of laning phase is so mediocre as to be laughable. Either allow it to scale much harder with AP (nidalee-heal style) or put the power elsewhere (maybe on the auras). The last thing I would say is that it's very confusing to know when her passive is up or not without putting your mouse over the passives, or after simply playing her forever and becoming an expert on it. At least, that's my experience with it.

I love Sona as a champion, but I would definitely like it if she were more clear on what you can do for yourself, and what you're contributing to your team.

HyperionWitch

04-18-2014

Honestly, I'm probably in the minority that I really like Sona the way she is. She's a nice, simple support when you don't want to think too hard about what's going on, which is probably a problem for most folks, but that's why I LOVE playing her. Furthermore, I always feel like I'm relevant--she's never useless.

Certainly there are problems--most people have already pointed out how squishy she is, and maybe it'd be nicer to have more of a trade-off between being squishy and going ham for power chording attacks and being more survivable while healing up your team--but I don't honestly have many problems with her right now. But again, I'm likely in the minority.

There's nothing I can really say I don't like about playing Sona, but I can agree that using her ult to lock down the enemy team always feels like the most satisfying moment as a Sona. That said, there are also satisfying moments where you drop a slow on an escaping champ and your team can follow up into a teamfight while you heal and speedboost everyone, dropping boosted attacks when you get the chance. Her flexibility is super exciting to me. It's really fun to decide if you want to churn out damage and cc along with your team or focus on staying in the back line and supporting everyone.

It's understandable that she kind of lacks the luster that other champions have, but personally I don't see anything not fun about her. She's one of my favorite champions. I'll be interested to see what changes come about, don't get me wrong, but I figure it's worth mentioning that some folks like her a lot the way she is.

Lystrates

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Hey all,
What do you love about playing Sona?
What do you not like about playing Sona?
What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
What I love about Sona:

1) I love her poking potential with her passive.
2) I love that she has no skill-shots (which is easier to play for us East Coast people)
3) I love that she can Q while running away.
4) I love her group Speed-buff aura. It feels amazing to boost the whole team and help them get the kill or run away
5) I love how useful she is at endgame.
6) I love her stun.

What I don't like about Sona:

1) How weak she is early game (she can feed the other team very easily (TOO Squishy) and she is not useful at all in early game - her abilities are TOO weak early on).
2) How she does not have a low-CD hard CC even though she is support
3) How her heal does not make a difference in actual fights. Its not fun just to keep on spamming her heal constantly to just top people off. I want something to make a difference in a fight.
4) How she does not have real escapes.
5) How useless her AP/AD and MR/Armor auras are in actual fights (except the speed-buff aura, that's AWESOME). 10 MR/Armor... yawn... 20 AP/AD.. meh. I highly doubt that I help my team avoid a single death with a temporary max 10 MR/Armor. All auras expect her speed-buff Aura are highly unsatisfying.

What decisions are most interesting to me when playing Sona:
1) Positioning, positioning, positioning. Sona is all about being at the right distance at the right time - how to poke and avoid being hit. Her stun needs good positioning also.
2) What to do with her passive buff. Its fun that I get three choices.
3) Whether I should sneak in a fight an poke before running out again. That's always fun.

What moments make me feel like I make a play for my team with Sona:
1) When I use her group Speed-buff to move my team forward to get a kill or objective or to help them escape.
2) When I use her Stun, to stun 3+ enemies and help the team win teamfights
3) When I use her Stun to help people escape.
4) When I get Lich Bane and can do actual damage to champions and help change the tide of battle.
5) When I use her Speed-Buff to rush over where a fight a happening and help.
6) When I Slow down an enemy champion who is running away with my passive and speed-buff the team to get to that champion.

Maximum LeBroken

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhastlyGhoulMan View Post
Like, in the huge orchestra that is your team, she's more like the triangle player in the background than the lead soloist she's meant to be. And like said triangle player, the music (and team) still benefits from having her, but honestly, who in the audience is going to notice the triangle player, or even their contribution?
These ****ing things are perfect

Drakylon

04-18-2014

What do you love about playing Sona?
Managing the auras and Power Chord based on situation and her versatility.

What do you not like about playing Sona?
The mana cost to get a Power Chord is too high, and the passive auras aren't very noticeable.

What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
As I mentioned before, the choice of aura based on the situation. This includes which Power Chord to use.

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
A 5-man Crescendo.

EnvyDragon

04-18-2014

I spent a good portion of S3 playing Sona almost exclusively (Silver league), so I'll try to give opinions purely based on what I like and dislike, not based on how I think they should be fixed.

What I like:

-The ult.

-The poke. Three spells > q > powerchord auto feels super satisfying and the enemy knows to be afraid of it.

-The feeling of being able to buff up the entire team at once, and of being able to pick the best buff to apply moment-to-moment.

What I don't like:

-Her W. Just in general. The passive aura is nearly unnoticeable, the heal is only single-target (and doesn't let you pick the target, to boot), and even the powerchord has limited use. Who do I most want to reduce the damage of? The AD Carry. Who is the squishiest? The AD Carry. Which means I almost always want to Q-powerchord in that situation - and if I can't kill them immediately, then an E-powerchord is STILL a better option because it makes it easier to escape and potentially gives my teammates a chance to react.

-Her passive auras don't really have any interaction. I turn on Q when we're attacking a tower or E when we're returning to lane, but then I just kind of sit there until it comes off cooldown (so I can cast it again) or until a different aura is needed.

-The auras aren't particularly noticeable, aside from (potentially) her E. I consciously know they're there, but I can't hit Q and watch the damage instantly spike for example.

TL;DR: I strongly value the idea of teamwide/areawide buffs as a Sona player. I do not, however, particularly value the auras as currently implemented. Her W could be completely scrapped and redone and I wouldn't bat an eye.

xDiostukosx

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz al Ghul View Post
I feel like the interactivity with her passive is bland. You just cast thrice and then can autoattack based on the last casting. Since she's a musician, it'd be neat to have her build the chord based on the last three casts. Here are two suggestions to increase interactivity.

3 Qs = Tons of damage enhanced auto
3 Ws = Bigger debuffer
3 Es = Slower slow
QWW = Extra damage on base of her passive, plus lesser debuffer on the target
QWE = Least bonus damage on passive, least debuff, least slow
... and so forth.

You'd have more interactivity with her rather than just mashing. Maybe make her most recent spell bump the oldest one out of the three if she hasn't autoattacked yet.

Perhaps another approach would be to enhance her passive based on allies/enemies she's recently hit. So her Q passive hit gets a bonus based on number of enemy champs you've hit in your last 3 casts. Her W could do more debuffing based on how many allies the heal has hit (aside from Sona herself). Her E slows more based on number of allies you've sped up. Obviously you can boost these values by casting the same spell multiple times rather than just pulling off a quick QWE to power up the passive.
This is an amazing idea, I love it.

And it wouldn't be OP, as you'd have to wait quite a while for the really strong ones. Say, you're charging a triple Q powerchord in the early game; you won't be able to heal your adc for about 21 seconds. May seem like a short while, but a lot of things can happen during that time.