Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eggy Bagelface

04-18-2014

her auras are pointless, they don't feel rewarding because they're so mediocre, and theres no way to make them rewarding without them being stupid strong.

I feel sona has an identity crisis. She can be quite strong building AP but she cant hold on her own lane because of the nature of her skills. Is she a support? Is she a mid lane mage? She seems to have a bit of herself in both but neither is dominant enough to shine. I feel her annual nerfs have finally hit her hard enough that she is inferior to many other supports and is more niche now.

Purodyuusaa

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
snip
Well, whatever you do, you need to do something about her q,w, and e looking more impactful. I have never met one person that ever said "Gee, thanks Sona! If you hadn't buffed us with that q aura, there's no way we could've won that fight!"

No one notices except Sona.

KT Rolster Kakao

04-18-2014

What do you love about playing Sona?
Beautiful skins, good lane poke and healing. Incredible game changing ult.

What do you not like about playing Sona?
As soon as you get touched you die. Super easy to catch out and die. U

What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
Need an aoe cc ult with poke in lane, as well as a heal to deter some enemy poke.

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
Obviously multi-man crescendos.

Kyrrion

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Hey all,

With the continuing goal of making Support players have more meaningful gameplay and enjoy their choices throughout each game of League of Legends, weíre looking at making sure Sona feels as awesome as possible.

Things that are already pretty awesome:

Sonaís role as a buff/enabler support is solid and rewarding.
Sonaís ult is impactful and allows Sona players to make big plays that they and their team can appreciate.

Things that need to be more awesome:

Sonaís auras are powerful, but not satisfying to use, and create very little interaction.
Sonaís basic abilities donít have as much skill expression as many other supports.

These are my current thoughts, as a dude who has been thinking about Sona gameplay a lot lately. I want you to tell me where Iím on track, where Iím wrong, and where Iím totally missing something.

Other things I want to hear from you:

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
What I love about playing Sona. The fact she's a musical themed champion. I also like how her kit allows her to "dance" around fluidly without cast times on her basic spells. Her movements are dictated by her musical masterpiece.

The only thing I hate is that it's hard to feel the presence of her Q and W, and E in the early game. One thing I've always hated was W power chord. I have to wait for my auto attack to hit the target in order to get the damage reduction (and using W itself to give the heal). W is something that should be used in a clutch situation, and feeling sluggish ruins it in my opinion.

The decisions? Power Chord would probably be the closest thing to a decision. Early game use Q-chord for pokes, late game use W + E to protect an ally or peel for one respectively. Otherwise with such short CDs, it's hard to fit decision making into it. Power Chord does to an extent, but it's rare for me to use a Q-chord late game (damage is generally the other roles' responsibility).

Ways I feel I made a play? Using E to chase down someone out of position and using ult to win teamfights.

Maximum LeBroken

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purodyuusaa View Post
Well, whatever you do, you need to do something about her q,w, and e looking more impactful. I have never met one person that ever said "Gee, thanks Sona! If you hadn't buffed us with that q aura, there's no way we could've won that fight!"

No one notices except Sona.
This ^^

NO ONE NOTICES. It is so minimal that it is horrific

joechuu

04-18-2014

What do you love about playing Sona? Not much at the moment. Her poke in lane is what used to make me love her because you could be aggressive. Her ult is the only real substantial fun factor currently.

What do you not like about playing Sona? The nerfs to her poke whilst being made super squishy. Her q range and auto range not matching up is annoying at times too but can be worked around. The fact that e is so useless people don't get it until lv4 or even lv7. The other power chords being too weak or too situational.

What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona? When it actually matters how you use her passive aka which power chord you use instead of just using Q 90% of the time because of how weak the others feel or are. It would be interesting to make her ult do different things based on the power chord you had up too.

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team? Sniping someone with a q or landing a multiple person crescendo.

GoAwayIfUh8it

04-18-2014

playing sona requires next to no decision making

all you do is roll your face on QWE

which one of you "game designers" thought that this was a good idea?

Myrakkae

04-18-2014

I love her theme of being a music-magic using support, and who can also do a little bit of everything for just about every situation. I also very much enjoyed how she had very high damages for being a support if you built her as a mage instead of a support before the s4 changes, and her powerchords are also very satisfying to use, since they grant powerful utility if used correctly.

However, I think her auras and her push-button-get-instant-buffs/damage skills except for her ult is holding her waaaay far back (like her ratios and base stats) :/ if you could shift her aura power to something more like area of effect buffs upon activation and more interactive active spells, I think she could be a lot more enjoying and the player could feel some gratification in being actively supporting.

Fearless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

04-18-2014
6 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2ZOMG View Post
. A lot of the fun of Sona is the reward for micromanaging your positioning and resources over time. It's the little things that add up over time that really make Sona awesome.
I completely agree that a lot of Sona's identity has to do with being a champ, if not the champ, that requires great positioning to be successful. That is very much something that we want to maintain and that we think is a great trait of Sona.

I do however think that there is room for Sona to care about her positioning and still have abilities that feel more impactful. Sona should probably have more reward for great positioning.

prophet of toast

04-18-2014

[quote]Hey all,

Quote:
Laning as Sona can be quite fun! The early aggressive power you have is great. Later in the game, clutch ults obviously can make or break a teamfight.

Quote:
Sona is so squishy its sad. Unlike a lot of other squishy mages, besides your ult, sona has no escapes. This makes her get super punished by bad positioning.

You can feel like a heal bot. After laning is over there isn't much "skill" involved in sona beyond landing a good ult.

Quote:
How to handle early laning and how to use ult in teamfights.

Quote:
Getting an early kill in lane through use of Passive. Landing an ult in teamfights. Clutch healing in a poke comp.