Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dfenestrator

04-18-2014

I'll give my two cents. I play a lot of support, but not a lot of Sona anymore, so take it with a grain of salt.

What do you love about playing Sona?
When she was first released (and frankly, overpowered) I liked 3 things about her:
- She had powerful, ranged harass that didn't push the lane if I didn't want it to.
- Her ultimate was unique (AOE ranged stun) and gave your team some awesome utility.
- She had some potent heals perfect for the meta (which had long laning phases).

Currently, there's not a ton I like about her:
- She's fairly versatile (can poke a bit, heal a bit, buff a bit), so it can be a 'safe' pick, assuming my lane opponent doesn't have a strong initiator.
- Her ult still brings some great utility, even if it does have a high CD.

What do you not like about playing Sona?
- Her kit does not allow you to make satisfying plays. Outside of positioning, her passive, and her ult, you don't have many decisions to make in the game.
- Her auras gate her power severely. While balanced, they don't feel satisfying.
- She's too versatile. This has been mentioned by others before, but leads into my next point.
- She has very clear, defined weaknesses (very squishy and weak if someone closes on her), but she does not have any clear, defined strengths.
- Her personality, identity, and lore are all pretty weak (but there are a lot of champions that currently suffer from this).

What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
- Pretty much the only decisions available to me: when to use the proper power chord and when to ult. I actually really like how many options are built into her passive; I just wish the rest of her kit gave opportunities to make plays.

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
- When I land a game-changing ult.
- When I land a game-changing power chord.

Summoners Drift

04-18-2014

reworking sona when we've heard nothing about the yorick rework for months

VoyMachoboy

04-18-2014

The aura utility that she can bring to the team and not being able to talk lol
Her scaling with the power chord feels a little underwhelming and ap/utility in general considering most supports like her get defensive/cdr items and little ap unless you are annie which is more on the lines of a damage support. Also she can't do much in a teamfights after she ults except single target heal (which you can't control who gets healed) and do hymnn of valor.
Pretty much when to activate certain abilities without facerolling my keyboard. Also when to ult in teamsfights or hold your cc.
What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
Landing your ult is the top priority, it's crucial to land it on more than 1 person in a teamfight.
I think it would be cool if her W's powerchord effect was reducing the armor/mr of the opponent instead of damage reduction but that's just my personal opinion.

SmokingPuffin

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
I very much can imagine changes that not only keep Sona's heal, but make it a skill that has more impact and a lot more gameplay. Currently, Sona's heal is really good at keeping an ally topped off, and really pretty bad at saving an ally. That makes it best at the situation with the least satisfaction, and worst at the situation with the biggest payoff.

We can do better.
It's definitely a good take on the healing part.

Please don't forget about the other parts of the W. It's a very busy button:
1) Heal Sona and an ally
2) Give Sona and an ally bonus resistance for 3 seconds
3) Turn on bonus resistance aura until next QWE
4) Power chord for damage dealt reduction

I'd say that all of these mechanics are up for review; everything here has more power than it feels like it has.

Also, I really like PC-W, but it doesn't read well and I'd be just as happy if it did something defensive that reads better (e.g. silence or blind).

Girl Gamer Terry

04-18-2014

Going in to Q
Now I can no longer do it because Q is too weak and I am probably going to die.

AP ratios are really weak considering how little else she has

When to use the ult, how to position myself so that I can do at least one 0.5 ratio Q without being instantly killed

In a teamfight when if they don't hit me I'm able to do a lot of sustained damage, or my ult otherwise. The damage has been hit many times with nerfs so I no longer play sona in ranked.

Vempyre

04-18-2014

Have her Q, W, and E being chargable, instant casts don't do much but holding them down and then releasing gives far stronger effects. It gives counter play and has a lot more decision making put into it, especially if cast times effect the range in which you cast them.

Instant casts are very long range but weaker, while charged spells have shorter reach but a much more powerful aftermath.

You could even do this with her ult I suppose.

Maximum LeBroken

04-18-2014

Q:
Why pick Sona in any condition? The fact she can harass enemies reliably. She's a very active laner and not passive, and that is a beautiful thing especially when we look at minimal-interaction lanes like Leona, Soraka, Nami. There is nothing going on in those lanes, so Sona is refreshing.

This does come at the risk that Q is short ranged, it isn't that long of a range... but it is reliable and consistent. So I actually enjoy Q.

ONE THING!!!! ONE THING THOUGH!!!!!!

Make it so that her AURAAAAA scales with her AP like Janna's shield or Lulu's shield. Sona doesn't have much CC so a lot of her power is in her Aura's and they are "her thing"... so allow her Q aura to scale off of her AP like Janna/Lulu's shield.

Sona cannot offer any shields to allies and her heal is weak (I discuss how I WANT YOU TO REMOVE IT below.).... give her some BITE to give her allies. Make it so if the enemy team goes against a Sona that they know that this Sona will make her allies bite them hard as hell.

Also it'll give them indication that maybe they should kill the Sona with 6deathcaps or suffer a team that will hit like trucks.

W: REMOVE THE DAMN HEAL AND GIVE THIS SKILL SOME OOMPH. 100 heal is garbage.
Heal is pathetically and abysmally weak. Remove it and place more power elsewhere, yeah really... there is no point in a 7second cooldown on 100 health at max rank. That is sooooo SOOOO ridiculously non-impactful in teamfights.

Give her something that matters in teamfights.

It offers her nothing when she goes oom spamming it in lane cause you need to spam it to at all notice it. It offers her nothing in teamfights. Heals are toxic and have no counterplay and are overall brutally antifun...

GIVE HER SOMETHING REAL.

E: This is okay but the aura doesn't scale so its only mediocre... I find this skill "weak"... its okay but ... really.... really.. not that satisfying to use.

Passive: Make this scale higher with AP, right now it is cute but not all that imapactful. Or maybe make it like Kha;zix where she can specialize in one aura or something for her teammates. It feels like a ****ty lichbane to be blunt.

For her passive... I'd say something AMAZINGLY FUN would be to allow her to specialize in an aura at level 6/11/16 and she can put all points into an aura or spread them out.

Like if she adds a special point in Q (Like Kha'zix)
then her aura gets doubled or each allies IMMEDIATE attack (Only the one after the aura is initially activated!) attack does 30% more damage based upon Sona's AP...
1 point: 10% additional damage scaling off of Sona's AP
2 points: 20% additional damage scaling off of Sona's AP
3 points: 30% additional damage scaling off of Sona's AP

W adds an effect like "thornmail" onto allies for 2 seconds when activated or E will make them impermeable to slows for 2 seconds.
1 point: 10% damage reflection
2 points: 20% damage reflection
3 points: 30% damage reflection

E adds tenacity to all allies that stacks with boots/etc for 2 seconds
1 point: 10% tenacity
2 points: 20 tenacity
3 points: 30 tenacity

Fearless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

04-18-2014
5 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Miku View Post
color me curious
Are you releasing any information on that today?
At this point, I just want to make sure that my thoughts on Sona were in line with the rest of the players. There have been some talks about where Sona could go, and things we can do to make her much more rewarding, but there's nothing prototyped. We're not even sure that changing Sona would be worth the disruption to people who love Sona already. I wanted to make sure that if we did anything, that every change we made would be something that solved problems that our players cared about.

RisottoNero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2014

Another thread asking how can they make X champion "as awesome as possible". Great.

You probably want to remove the auras completely. Took Riot many years to start the rework. Let's see if anything good comes out of that.

KSHarrison

04-18-2014

Well, as you guys already know, auras are boring.

Imo, Sona's identity is versatility. She can poke, sustain, and bring utility. There's a certain amount of OPness in doing everything at once, which is why I think Sona has been a problem champion in the past. In light of this, I personally don't believe any champion should be able to do everything. They tend to overshadow other champions, crowding them out because they lack meaningful trade-offs. I can't think of any champion who is so versatile who hasn't teetered between unplayable and OP.

Additionally, I think from a design perspective it is very difficult to pull off a satisfying jack-of-all-trades champion. The mindset is usually that you trade power for versatility -- you give the champion versatility, but make each ability slightly weaker to compensate. I don't know if it's possible to make the player have a satisfying experience when the individual abilities are weaker.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to decide Sona's role: poke, sustain, lane presence, engage, etc. and then aim to make her versatile within that given role, allowing skillful synergy between abilities to overcome their individual weakness. The hardest part may be her ult, because that can be used in so many different ways that it's hard to confine Sona to a specific role, at the same time, it's integral to her identity because it's her defining non-aura ability.

Anyways, those are my worries with Sona and my opinion on a possible solution. Riot has rarely let me down with their creative solutions, and I know this is all stuff you guys are probably already well aware of. I hope this thread continues constructive and useful to you, it's certainly nice to share some of the process with us. Good luck!