Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fearless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

04-18-2014
4 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pyrenees View Post
Dear Fearless

What do you love about playing Sona?
I love to heal. It is my support fantasy in a MOBA.
I very much can imagine changes that not only keep Sona's heal, but make it a skill that has more impact and a lot more gameplay. Currently, Sona's heal is really good at keeping an ally topped off, and really pretty bad at saving an ally. That makes it best at the situation with the least satisfaction, and worst at the situation with the biggest payoff.

We can do better.

A2ZOMG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
What do you not like about playing Sona?
What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
I like that Sona does nice burst damage earlygame without crowd control. It's an exciting way to play that rewards good positioning skills. Furthermore I like that I can pick her on about any team comp and feel like I can be successful, and that I can play multiple ways during the laning phase both offensively and defensively and be really successful.

I mostly get upset that the primary counter to Sona is ganking her. Then again I feel it's a fair tradeoff for having strong damage and sustain. What's more upsetting however is the current state of bot lane where snowballing has become extreme. It's basically once a side gets ahead, their jungler camps, and there's nothing you can do. Yes this strategy applies to how camping works in general, but it's by far most extreme in bot lane where there's Dragon, and multiple champions put in a lane. Also Sona's ulti cooldown is a bit archaic and unnecessarily long earlygame, and furthermore Power Chord W is RETARDEDLY HARD TO USE given how circumstantial it is.

Mana management and positioning are fundamentally all the decisions that Sona makes. And believe me when I say that it's a fun way to play. Sona in a sense rewards micromanagement that way. Every little thing you do right adds up. Of course positioning well to get a good ultimate is also cool. But mostly I like how by paying attention to little details, Sona's sustained presence is amazing.

In general I feel best with Sona when I either dominate the laning phase because of my superior positioning skills, or enable a weaker range AD to farm successfully without getting crippled by pressure from the other team. Then I also feel best with Sona when I'm able to group with my team and help them dominate skirmishes and teamfights either by saving lives with heals/movement speed, or stunning the right targets.

If I were to look at changes to Sona, I would still want to keep her identity as a well rounded support that fits on the majority of team comps successfully. Things that I'd like changed would include increasing the overall TEAM BUFF utility of Hymn of Valor, given that spell falls off really hard lategame outside of its damage applications when building AP. Furthermore Power Chord W would be a hell of a lot less stupid if it scaled very slightly with durability making the circumstantial use of it less suicidal overall. Or if you did something really crazy like apply Power Chord effects through Sona's ultimate while toning down the base damage and ratio (then I wouldn't mind keeping the higher cooldown). Which would then further diversify Sona's presence in teamfights, thus maintaining the overall niche of being a versatile and well rounded support.

IonCannonKarthus

04-18-2014

I have faith in you Fearless.

Nyhver

04-18-2014

Quote:
Everything, she's 10/10 beautiful, would brush hair and play again.

auto+q+r or r+auto+q is great

I tend to always build lich bane on Sona and play her as a support APC

Quote:
If played a bit much, she may seem too linear- like a lot of other champions that have low skill caps
Quote:
How & when to use ultimate though it may be included as a bad thing that the depth doesn't 'seem' to go very far

Quote:
What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
When you've hit the right people with crescendo or zoned out/caused enough damage to the right people

I play Sona but I don't play a lot of Sona

JaxMoonStealer

04-18-2014

The fun of bot lane in this meta is the support using his combo and then his/her ADC following with some sweet moves. Pretty flashy stuff. However, with Sona this doesn't happen... All she does is walk around pressing her keys, without making plays with her marksman.

Sorceo

04-18-2014

Hello, my experience is about 100 games on her : D Maybe my feedback will be interesting.

1) I totally love her W. With good mana regeneration item (my personal choice is Chalice of Harmony), I feel like i can heal my carry endlessly. Her Q is really powerful. It is really satisfying to have tool that makes you able to outdamage many marksmans early : D

2) Her E just feels kinda... meh... Comparing to her other abilities, it is the least satisfying one. Honestly, if I use it, I do it just to get it's Power Chord slow.

3) I like deciding whether I should build like clasical Sona, or get tons of AP instead. She is one of those supports that make me feel able to carry games. It is great when things go wrong.

4) Well, ulting whole enemy team is great, but soloing other member of their teams is even greater : D If only i could see those shocked faces outplayed by Sona.

Buboniic

04-18-2014

I think she needs some newer particles imo, they are cool but a little stringy and ugly looking @ the same time.

DamNiluniS

04-18-2014

I like the concept of sona, being the ultimate aura support, having both defensive and offensive parts on all her abilities, and ofc her ultimate.
she's kinda boring to play and doesn't have those clutch plays outside of her ult, she got abit of everything but doesn't really have something unique, she doesn't really feel like controling the battlefield with her abilities, she's just standing behind spamming keys and giving auras to her allies.
what chord to use, but you're not really feel you got full control of it since you just spamming the key you need to in a given situation.
ulting a few member of the enemy team, chasing someone down with E and using powerchord to slow the enemy down and see your team catching up to him and killing him.

Hellioning

04-18-2014

I find her poke, landing a good ult, and ability to help her teammates just by standing there as fun (and, of course, getting assists just by living. Why yes, I did deserve that assist for standing next to Karthus while he casted his ult, thank you very much!)

My least favorite parts of Sona are primarily balance wised. She's way too squishy and has no escapes, meaning she's really risky to run in the current bot lane environment, especially given how her poke is almost completely negated by vamp scepter.

I believe the best decisions I can make as Sona rely in the use of her power chord. Q is simple but effective, W can help shut down an assassin, and E can help in chasing or kiting. I like the ability to use her passive like this.

I 'make plays' by giving people auras, landing good ults, and generally being awesome, but can I just say that I hate how everyone needs to 'make plays'? Maybe I just want to help other people make plays. Is that something that's discouraged in League?

I'm fine with Sona as is, and if you're going to change her, you need a reason to besides 'oh she's boring to play.' Because I don't think so. I understand that that's not everyone's opinion, but seriously, I really like playing Sona, and I would do so more often if I felt like I could get away with it, but right now, she still feels really weak besides her ult. Maybe make that a bit weaker and instead increase the power of her other abilities? Or maybe just get rid of the AoE stun and instead have her play a tune that causes all of her auras to become hypercharged for a short while? Because that sounds kinda cool.

Postal Miku

04-18-2014

Quote:
I very much can imagine changes that not only keep Sona's heal, but make it a skill that has more impact and a lot more gameplay. Currently, Sona's heal is really good at keeping an ally topped off, and really pretty bad at saving an ally. That makes it best at the situation with the least satisfaction, and worst at the situation with the biggest payoff.

We can do better.
color me curious
Are you releasing any information on that today?