Letís talk about Sona

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AbamaStank

04-18-2014

Sona is incredibly fun to play as a poke support. I love using her to poke an ADC whenever he goes for a last hit, or to poke a Leona down before she engages. Not to mention her ability to instantly lockdown potentially a whole team is baller.

What I hate about Sona is she doesn't do anything particularly well besides her ultimate. She already is the squishiest champion in the game, so I'd love for her to be loaded with tons of utility to compensate. Right now all she has is DECENT poke, and you have to time your abilities well to get it to work. Contrast that with Thresh who gets his poke up no matter what, or Annie who has ridiculous range.

She already is basically free food for most meta Supports right now at level 6, I don't get why she can't have strong consistent poke when someone like Annie gets strong consistent poke, armor and MR, stuns that come up every 4 spells, and the ability to burst so hard.

Picking the right moments to poke as Sona should feel really rewarding, especially since it's really the only expression of skill she has outside of her ultimate. The other thing I'd like to see is for the passive procs to be especially devastating, moreso on the movement speed slow or the damage reduction.

Especially since you guys just buffed heal to a ridiculous level, why pick Sona when someone like Leona can just take heal?

To be honest, I'd like to see her basic abilities buffed or reworked to the point where application of her passive is what defines her gameplay. Aura's are great and all, I guess, but I wouldn't mind if you scrapped the Aura's in exchange for a more impactful application of her passive.

A Sproutling

04-18-2014

Sona's kind of a jack of all trades- poke, sustain, engage, disengage- but master of none, which leaves her somewhere in the middle tier. Her greatest strength imo is her early game laning phase with the heals and pokes, which is awesome, kinda winning bot lane early just by those. But aside from a flash+ult mid-late game she feels underwhelming as a champion.

I read that Sona wasn't meant to have her AOE stun ult, and if she didn't she'd probably be useless as a champion.

I think her role as a support needs to be defined. Poker, healer, engager? Like I said she can do all 3 but not to the max that top tier picks do. She needs something unique about her. What that is i'm not sure i'm not a game dev lol.

Zastie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
What do you love about playing Sona?
Zooming around, poking, and being able to make a difference with your ult. Her peel is pretty nice with E+passive.
Quote:
What do you not like about playing Sona?
Squishy squishy squishy. If someone catches you, there is absolutely no escape(which is fine if you're in the jungle, but not fine when simply laning and you get bursted at lv.1 into oblivion).
Quote:
What decisions are most interesting to you when you play Sona?
Where to be. Do you try and get in range for a Q? Do you simply sit by your ADC and wait to defend him/her? Do you go balls deep and try to land an ult on all 5 as the initiation starts?
Quote:
What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?
A good peel or landing an ult very well.

-

My problem with Sona right now is she is weak with no real compensation. She has to buy AP to use her utility. How can she afford to do that when she also has to buy defensive&utility items due to her other weaknesses? If she builds AP she can give a small burst of utility, but then dies. Old Sona was able to build utility items and be able to survive longer and was able to stick around offering aid to her team, like a support should. Now she just briefly does something then becomes a Magikarp.

LetsHarmonize

04-18-2014

Sona's Q and W are great as they are. Her E could use some more power at earlier levels.

Her auras are in fact not fun to use. I put Q aura on when taking towers, and I don't use the other auras much because I generally use the active spell again (example: if my allies need bonus resistances, I'll just use W again. And if my allies need movespeed, I'll just spam E).

Her Q aura is the only good one because it gives you something that the Q active doesn't.

As everyone has said, I hate how squishy she is, but I don't think she should be very tanky since she has pseudo tankiness in her heal and bonus resistances from W active & aura.

Also her ult is great.

Erockandroll

04-18-2014

This coming from someone who picked ups sona as their first champion (turning me into a support main)

What I like? Jack of all trades.

what I dislike? master on none. way to squishy, no damage/little AP scaling.

What is most interesting about her? This would be in her powercords, with full CDR and mana font, you can spam your spell, thus, spam your powercords. the problem is she requires to be too close for her squishieness.

When I make the best Plays? This is entirely team dependent. It's usually holding down multiple enemies with her ult while the get nailed by allied Zigg's mega infernal bomb.

Over all, Sona's Auras, powerCords, and heal, would make her good in sustained battle if she was just a little more beefy.

Fearless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

04-18-2014
2 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylotic View Post
Sona is fine as is. The latest Frostfang changes made her perfectly viable
The concern isn't that Sona is weak or strong, but that a ton of her power is in stuff that isn't fun. The goal would be to make Sona a lot more fun for Sona players, her allies, and her opponents with a lot more ways that everyone interacts with Sona's cool stuff.

FIatulence

Recruiter

04-18-2014

Her passive. It's really powerful and separates an average Sona player from a great one. Average Sonas seem to forget that she has more than one Power Chord type, and it's not just on her Q.

1. She's really weak early, and it's annoying to miss your Q harass by 10 range, or accidentally take minion kills, or push the lane too much. I have to back off the wave to switch to my Q aura because I don't want to mess up my lane partner's last hitting.

2. She doesn't feel as effective as supports like Thresh and Leona up until level 6, and even then she has to play perfectly to turn one of their engages in her favor.

3. She's incredibly squishy with terrible base stats. Even though her base HP nerf got reverted, she still has the stats of a tissue, and that really hurts her since she can get exploded instantly if her ult is down (sometimes even with her ult up)

Using Power Chord effectively. Do I want a little bit more damage? Damage reduction? Or a pretty good slow?

What moments of a Sona game make you feel like youíve made a play for your team?

Any play involving my ult. Flash+ult, Talisman+ult, whichever. Unfortunately outside of her ult Sona isn't renowned for making "plays". And since it has a long cooldown, there's not much to do while waiting for it to be back up.

In my opinion, Sona is too ultimate-dependent and the rest of her skills outside of her passive feel really weak.

Fearless

Game Designer

04-18-2014
3 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algalaz View Post
Sona just doesn't feel very satisfying to play imo, bar ult
This is exactly the though that got this going. Sona deserves more high moments than just landing her ult.

Great Pyrenees

04-18-2014

Dear Fearless

I used to play ranked. I used to play sona in ranked. I loved the healing sustain style of play. Then all of a sudden Riot Nerfed all heals. A year later they nerfed Sona so they could give her scaling utility. Just recently they nerfed Lich Bane. These are a few of the reasons I do not play sona or ranked anymore. I ENJOY healing. It is the fantasy I want to have in a MOBA. I want to heal my team. But the way things have worked lately if your team gets behind you are useless, if your team is ahead your unbeatable. There has to be a middle ground.

I love to heal. It is my support fantasy in a MOBA.

Her abilities do not need to scale on AP. She is squishy but I am willing to accept this, however her heal needs a serious buff. I would love to see a 50% increase across all ranks with a severe reduction in AP scaling. The reason for this is simple. At my level of play I NEVER get to build AP on her. She has weaknesses that MUST be addressed if I want to live long enough to heal. Additionally as a support she is pidgeonholed into buying supportive items.

I enjoy positioning but I do not like how Riot has allowed POKE comps to be far more mana efficient. It is time to bring back sona heals. If you ask me she does not even need a Q, make it another aura passive.

When I land a creschendo and the entire team actually kills the proper targets in order.

So basically I am asking. I WANT to play ranked again. But with so few hps, and such weak healing it is more of a liability. Heck Soraka is a nightmare counter for Sona. So basically every support is currently better (Unless your Edward from M5). Please rework her so we can have a healing MOBA champion!

Captain Justice

04-18-2014

Quote:
The concern isn't that Sona is weak or strong, but that a ton of her power is in stuff that isn't fun. The goal would be to make Sona a lot more fun for Sona players, her allies, and her opponents with a lot more ways that everyone interacts with Sona's cool stuff.
You have more pressing balance issues other than player interactions with Sona.

Stop focusing on the wrong areas of the game.