In-game skin incorporation

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaVaG3xTuRt1e

04-18-2014

I'm okay with this not being a feature, but perhaps of it was implemented, it could be an individual setting that is off by default for every player, that they can turn on if they desire to.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

04-18-2014
4 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvic Maractis View Post
We had this discussion months ago and you just said deal with it and stopped responding instead of giving a good reason.
You must be thinking of another Rioter, I don't think I've ever talked about the hp bars, I am curious as to what kind of issues you're seeing with it though, do you have a link to the thread where you talked about this that I can check out?

Corvic Maractis

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
You must be thinking of another Rioter, I don't think I've ever talked about the hp bars, I am curious as to what kind of issues you're seeing with it though, do you have a link to the thread where you talked about this that I can check out?
I was talking about Riot in general for who had responded.
When the HP and MAna bars were changed for the preseason there was a thread made to ask why HP bars were bugged out. they then said that the hp bars were changed so that custom colours could no longer be used (custom colours is what im talking about) with the new health and mana bars. when asked why they said they just couldnt and left the thread to die. I then made a post on the Community beta about it and never got a response at all about Colour blind people and the changes effect on my friend. Later on the Comunity beta for a thread completely unrelated i finally got a response on the issue asking what i meant by the change being bad for some people. apparently the people who made the change said that they only knew of one type of colour blindness and that they had no idea there were multiple types. which makes me think that riot needs to really have some eople do research on things before destroying something like the custom colours for bars.

EDIT: I wish i had a link but i abandoned the hope of anyone ever talking about this subject months ago and i wouldnt have even thought about it if you didnt bring it up in your post.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

04-18-2014
5 of 6 Riot Posts

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...83551#43483551

Looks like it's on their radar and they're looking to fix it

Corvic Maractis

04-18-2014

i would like to point out that they are only looking at this for colour blind mode and not standard mode which was what i was talking abut. the custom colours helped on streams and in game for the players to identify themsleves in fights.

Corvic Maractis

04-19-2014

I would like to ask why i was downvoted for what i said above as it is exactly what they said and is not entirely the whole reason for my comment.

Ptarlorr

04-21-2014

Also maybe the legendary skins could change the interface a bit? Not that I have any legendaries, but maybe Infernal Nasus could change the colors to a magma-y palette and there'd be a little rocky perimeter on some stuff. Or Super Galaxy Rumble would have a red tint to things because of his shades. That would probably be too technical or trivial and might affect gameplay, but tinkering with that stuff would be neat. A legendary Draven skin could have himself be the announcer of who got killed and what got destroyed instead of whatever the default enigmatic female is.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

04-22-2014
6 of 6 Riot Posts

I love this idea and think it would be awesome to see the UI become modified for epic skins or something like that. It would definitely improve the experience for sure. This isn't in my field of expertise and I don't know if it can be done or not, but it's a great idea, thanks!

Thales

04-22-2014

One thing along similar lines is alterations to the ability icons. Currently, only Surprise Party Fiddlesticks does it (crow with a party hat!), but it could be another avenue to enhance the experience of a skin. There's good reasons it's not used more, I think abilities need to be recognizable from their icons, and ability icons aren't hidden in spectator mode, for instance but for legendary skins with radically different themes, it could be a good addition.

SzarkAttack

06-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
I threw this together super quick to illustrate my point:
Attachment 946898
If you see this on your minimap or the deathrecap screen will you immediately realize who it is? It could be Shyvana, It could be Varus, It could be Draven, it's not immediately clear who this is at all. Splashes work when you have the full context image, but as a mini icon it really lacks clarity.
To be completely honest; yes. I instantly recognized that that was soul reaver Draven.
And I think most other players would too. I understand that this would be sooooo much work. But I think it would just make the game outstanding. All I'm saying is that people are paying good money for these; and it would make the game that much more player-oriented. I want my champion to look epic. And I want everybody to see my epic champion.