In-game skin incorporation

First Riot Post
12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SzarkAttack

Junior Member

04-10-2014

Hello all. First time posting in a thrm but I have what (I think is) a really good idea. So, league of legends is one of my favorite pastimes. The concept, mechanics, and gameplay are just so amazing. But I have a suggestion.

So right now, when a summoner buys a skin, they get to choose after champion select, get to see the skin on load up, and then see the skin on the character model. This is pretty cool, because it adds a level of uniqueness to summoner's favorite champions. But that's pretty much the extent of a skins exposure. What I am suggesting is, 'why not incorporate skins in-game even further'?

Basically what this means is to change the kill icons and the death icons to the champs skin instead of just the default. So where it says" ______ has slain ______"and there are pictures of the default champion skins on either side of that; replace that with the selected skin. Also, when the kill notification appears on the side of the screen, in the "statistics" tab menu, in the past game roster, and in the "review death" option in-game. So, pretty much anywhere that uses a default skin.

This is just an idea. Please tell me what you think.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Imotekh Kharn

Junior Member

04-17-2014

I think its a great idea and I'm not sure why its not already a thing


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Steve Esquire

Member

04-18-2014

Yeah I was a bit disappointed when I got my first skin and saw it was still the normal Caitlyn on the bottom left and in the kill feed, etc. I'd love them to make skins a bit more noticeable. Also, it would be nice to see an in-game version of the skin when browsing as well (I get tired of looking them all up on google to see which looks best while playing).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

04-18-2014
1 of 6 Riot Posts

While this would be really cool I think it suffers from a clarity issue. It's hard enough to recognize/remember the icon for the 118 champs, imagine how much harder it would be if this went up to 500+ icons.

This isn't my area of expertise so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I would rather see us develop clear icons in the game that aren't attached to the splash art so that it's easier to recognize who killed me even if they have a different skin in the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pikku Nino

Senior Member

04-18-2014

Would a toggle between [keep original icon on all skins / give icons corresponding to current skin] be a good idea?

So someone who has the former will see only original icons (as is live now) and someone with the latter enabled will see everyone with the current skin icons?
That way someone who's confident in their knowledge of skins/champs will be able to experience the skins further, while someone who's still learning will get to see the standard ones.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HesOnTop

Senior Member

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
While this would be really cool I think it suffers from a clarity issue. It's hard enough to recognize/remember the icon for the 118 champs, imagine how much harder it would be if this went up to 500+ icons.

This isn't my area of expertise so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I would rather see us develop clear icons in the game that aren't attached to the splash art so that it's easier to recognize who killed me even if they have a different skin in the game.
I still prefer the skin icon one. You see their splash art before you load into the game so you should know who it is that killed you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

04-18-2014
2 of 6 Riot Posts

It's definitely doable and a really cool idea, the question then becomes how much value does it add to create 500+ icons for something not all of our players will see. Would you rather we spend time doing that or something like the unique colors for your health bar, or the undo button, or some of the other stuff we've been bringing out.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corvic Maractis

Senior Member

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
Would you rather we spend time doing that or something like the unique colors for your health bar, or the undo button, or some of the other stuff we've been bringing out.
You mean what we had before you guys changed it and made it so that colour blind people have a harder time in the game. cause you dont accomodate all the types of colour blindness.


We had this discussion months ago and you just said deal with it and stopped responding instead of giving a good reason.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mandaari

Senior Member

04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
It's definitely doable and a really cool idea, the question then becomes how much value does it add to create 500+ icons for something not all of our players will see. Would you rather we spend time doing that or something like the unique colors for your health bar, or the undo button, or some of the other stuff we've been bringing out.
TBH I don't find that kind of stuff very valuable at all. I'd rather see skin purchases being more pervasive in-game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

04-18-2014
3 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesOnTop View Post
I still prefer the skin icon one. You see their splash art before you load into the game so you should know who it is that killed you.
I threw this together super quick to illustrate my point:
Name:  SkinIconTest.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  16.6 KB
If you see this on your minimap or the deathrecap screen will you immediately realize who it is? It could be Shyvana, It could be Varus, It could be Draven, it's not immediately clear who this is at all. Splashes work when you have the full context image, but as a mini icon it really lacks clarity.


12