4.5 Reduces Mac crashes by 66%

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

04-07-2014
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Hey guys,

I'm hesitant to post this but figured giving you guys some transparency into what we've been working on here at Riot to make the Mac (and Windows) experiences better for our players. Also to give you some insight into why those crash reports are so important to us. If you do get a bugsplat, try to at least give a short description of what was going on. Sometimes even the smallest comment of "Crashed after I opened shop" can help us reproduce, prioritize and track down crashes.

Just a cool little tidbit for you. We saw a 66% reduction in Mac bugsplats with the release of 4.5. This was due to a large effort by many engineers at Riot to handle some outstanding crash issues. Overall this patch showed a steep improvement but the trend for the past year has be down and to the right for crashes. Each release sees a reduction in these crashes.

Also for those wondering, we don't see a larger percentage players crashing on Mac. Even after factoring in the number of users using each OS we still see Mac crashes as more rare.

Gamelova

04-07-2014

I crash at least two times a week. Including right now. If there is information I can provide for Riot to help aid this problem please don't hesitate to ask.

Ancient Tower

04-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmeister View Post
Just a cool little tidbit for you. We saw a 66% reduction in Mac bugsplats with the release of 4.5. This was due to a large effort by many engineers at Riot to handle some outstanding crash issues. Overall this patch showed a steep improvement but the trend for the past year has be down and to the right for crashes. Each release sees a reduction in these crashes.
It's cool to see this kind of information, but "outstanding crash issues" is kind of general and it makes it hard to see/tell/understand what was causing the problem, or what was fixed, but of course if you guys went in depth about the actual problem we'd probably get lost pretty quickly in the explanation.

From a player perspective, the game defiantly feels more stable then it was earlier this year (yay), but there will always be new problems that crop up as things update/change/ect. so It's unrealistic to get mad over these kind of things, but it's cool (at least to me) to have an "oh, that's what's going on" moment. So I guess this was just a long winded explanation of how I like that you guys are communicating things to us, even if it's just general stuff like a 66% drop in crashes due to issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamelova View Post
I crash at least two times a week. Including right now. If there is information I can provide for Riot to help aid this problem please don't hesitate to ask.
Quote:
If you do get a bugsplat, try to at least give a short description of what was going on.
What usually happens right before the crash Gamelova? For me it's usually the a bunch of flashy abilities frying my poor cheap laptop, but I know I just need a new computer (one day maybe).

Mike4Real

04-07-2014

Quote:
I'm hesitant to post this but figured giving you guys some transparency [...]
I really don't like hearing things like this. You must not be afraid to give us details. As long the posts are truthful, the realistic and reasonable users will get the information that they need from them. Being unable to communicate with those that need it is a hinderance to us all.
Quote:
Just a cool little tidbit for you. We saw a 66% reduction in Mac bugsplats with the release of 4.5.
This is very good news, but I would like to inquire about a couple of things. Does this reduction in crashes include the kind of crashes seen in this thread:
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4323761
I know that you have posted in there, and I do not have this issue myself, but this seems to be the most prominent issue with users on here for the moment. Riot Dannamoth asked users to provide him with data to help address and fix the problem by running 'scutil --dns' in terminal. He has not followed up with users about the issue one week later. Those users have no idea if their data was helpful in resolving the issue, or if/when the issue will be resolved. Does this 66% include that specific crash? You should address those who are there as well regardless.

And just to keep you reminded, you told me that this issue of having a false bug-splat after clicking continue to the post game lobby would be fixed in patch 4.5. It has not been fixed. I am not angry that it wasn't resolved, I just need you guys to acknowledge that it still exists as an issue. I just want to make sure you guys are aware.:
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...45112#46045112
Futhermore, I provided a ton of information in this thread:
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...4008524&page=9
But I have no idea if that feedback was received or not since there has been no reply.

I believe the 3 threads I listed to be the most consistent and largest problems on the Mac client right now.
Keep doing a good job, remember to keep the communications lines open, and please never be hesitant or afraid to be transparent with us.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

04-07-2014
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Yeah my hesitance was more about not wanting to appear "patting ourselves on the back" than anything else. Especially on a forum most people only visit when they are crashing.

The issue Dannamoth is looking into isn't a "Crash" per se but more a maestro error in the air client. We're unsure what triggers it and all attempts to reproduce it have failed. That thread has gone all over the place with users reporting un-related issues though so it started to get difficult to glean accurate information from it.

The Bugsplat at end of game still occurring is interesting. We definitely fixed some(most?) of them but there may be others lingering. Have you submitted a bugsplat in 4.5? I searched all reports after 4.5 where the user contains "Mike" but nothing came back.

I've responded to that death thread BTW.

Pop Lok Drop

04-07-2014

I have notice with in the past two days many people are lagging so bad that they have to escape the game and reconnect. One game on both of the teams there were several people who suddenly had connection problems. Usually it happens when someone is about to get killed or there is a bunch of champions in one area of the map. I hope this problem get's fix cause it really interrupts game play.

Mike4Real

04-07-2014

Quote:
Yeah my hesitance was more about not wanting to appear "patting ourselves on the back" than anything else.
Ohh, ok, well its fine. I don't think it'll be seen like that. Its good news.
Quote:
The Bugsplat at end of game still occurring is interesting. We definitely fixed some(most?) of them but there may be others lingering. Have you submitted a bugsplat in 4.5? I searched all reports after 4.5 where the user contains "Mike" but nothing came back.
Well the thing with that one is, most of the time , the bug splat software does not come up for me. Its just finder telling me that "League of Legends has quit unexpectedly". Its just frustrating that it tells me the game quit improperly when it actually hasn't. Its not too huge of a deal though. Most of the time when it happens the bug splat won't actually appear.

IceMountain23

04-08-2014

I USUALLY begin crashing when i get near team fights or when a large amount of spells are being used by either my allies or enemies

llamasx

04-08-2014

I've only crashed 2 or 3 times since last year during game, but I get a bug splat 90% of the time when loading the score screen. It loads, maybe taking a bit longer than when I use someone's PC, but I get a bug splat anyways.

GarnetDust

04-08-2014

Since the newest patch, my mac hasn't crashed during death at all. I also lowered the graphics so that might be helping, as well.

I'm running a 2008 macbook. It's ancient but doing it well.