Rengar Thread of Bolas and Roaring

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Von Nicklesnout

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Verve View Post
Rengar doesn't smash people in a second, he's tankier and he's now quite sticky. Overall safer to play in game and less...Shaco-like. I like.

Just need to smoothen out the Q animation and skill combos, some of the internal cooldowns and animation feels a bit clunky and I was confused why on Runeterra skills don't fire when Ferocity maxes out when I realize the Ferocity skills have, what, 0.2 sec prep time? It should be smoothen out.

Thanks for the gameplay update (GU?) guys! I'm gonna go master some Rengar now!
Spoilers: Assassins are meant to murder you very quickly.

Spoilers addendum: I would expect a lion-man (i.e. BASED ON AN AMBUSH PREDATOR) to be able to assassinate people, given he's based on Predator.

ZaganJustice

04-04-2014

lol... they made him visible when he ulti's yet fiddle just lost the passive when he's not visible
biased much?

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

04-04-2014
13 of 21 Riot Posts

There are a few people suggesting that the warning from his ult should be global. We thought about this idea actually but it was actually too punishing for Rengar because it gave his opponents too much time to react, and essentially removed all of his ganking power. Enemies would all just back up to their tower before he could engage, so we went with a much shorter warning time frame.

I'm much more keen on the idea that if he wouldn't be visible, the warning will not appear. This rewards clever paths and approaches when ulting.

DancerofWar

04-04-2014

One thing I would like to see is the ability to Q the tower again. Maybe since it is weaker now, it shouldn't be as good of a tool for split pushing, but right now it isn't a tool at all.

GD Warrior

04-04-2014

Stealth indicator kinda removes the purpose of stealth no?
''ganking'' R
*enemy runs backwards into turret*
next gank bro

eatsgokuforlunch

04-04-2014

FIX His Q it does not proc when you jump on some one ! You keep talking about his ult scruffy but his MAIN DAMAGE ability is BUGGED do you understand the frustration? Or should I cry harder?

CrimsonAxests

04-04-2014

Yes because it's fine for champs like twitch to have no stealth indicator but shaco and rengar do. And rengars is worse because you know the entirety of his ult.

DeathByWaffle

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsgokuforlunch View Post
FIX His Q it does not proc when you jump on some one ! You keep talking about his ult scruffy but his MAIN DAMAGE ability is BUGGED do you understand the frustration? Or should I cry harder?
^ This

Also, the damage on his Q needs to be buffed imo, at least for the basic Q. Right now, it feels just really awful and weak.

Fuzen kuden

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
There are a few people suggesting that the warning from his ult should be global. We thought about this idea actually but it was actually too punishing for Rengar because it gave his opponents too much time to react, and essentially removed all of his ganking power. Enemies would all just back up to their tower before he could engage, so we went with a much shorter warning time frame.

I'm much more keen on the idea that if he wouldn't be visible, the warning will not appear. This rewards clever paths and approaches when ulting.
this would reward you for trying to be an assassin out thinking your target. >.><.< i like this

one thing i would add is when done right rangar should do a special taunt like "never seen it comeing did you?" or "should have warded....seriously" or even just a simple yell

PKpwnage

04-04-2014

First impressions of new Rengar:

Q
Feels...underwhelming, especially if building as an assassin. While the ability itself is comparable to Jax's W, it fits more nicely with a fighter's kit than an assassin's. A simple auto-attack power spike has a place in longer duels - fighters in general put out sustained yet slightly lower damage, and being able to add a little extra burst to that can give them the edge in a fight. In an assassin's case, however, it's just another number to add to the whole "how much damage can I dish out in two seconds" equation. Adding X amount of damage to a combo can be done with number and ratio tweaks.

Really missing the attack speed buff on base Q. Doesn't have to be the 30-50% of old, but I'd prefer something to help with top lane trading and jungle clears. New Q feels REALLY clunky when doing first and second clears, and by clunky I mean "I'm just dealing 80ish more damage every six seconds. Woo." Finally, not being able to Q structures is a tad annoying simply for the fact that you can't build ferocity while pushing. I'd be fine without getting the attack speed buff when Qing structures, but let me charge my abilities, please?

W
Feels really good, especially when jungling. Heal is pretty much the same above ~60% but can heal pretty well when at low health. While normally a heal like this would be more suited to a fighter's kit, you can use this to bait all-ins and dives. Heal up for like 25% and burst them down if building assassin. I do like the higher cap on the base W's resistances. Rewards you a bit more if building fighter, but that's good. Assassins don't need huge defensive stats.

E
REALLY loving this. Range is good and makes pre-6 ganks doable, rather than "hope they're close enough to cast E." The slow amount and duration is very satisfying, forces flashes and is generally pretty cool. Also really like that you can aggro jungle camps from a distance - slightly helps with clear time, checks whether or not camps are up (read: "did anyone invade my ****?"), aggro Baron for the lols, etc.

Empowered E is equally satisfying. The increased root duration is a welcome buff, giving players a reason to actually use empowered E.

R
First off, I have to say I'm greedy when it comes to Thrill of the Hunt. I wish it still built ferocity while in stealth. While smart Rengar players can sit on 5 stacks before ulting, it does lessen the impact of ulting after clearing a camp or something.

I don't quite understand why the "RENGAR IS NEAR" alarm was put in, considering you guys removed the same thing for Fiddle. I think both Fiddle and Rengar ganks were meant to have an element of surprise, whether crows or claws, but only Fiddle's is truly a surprise party. Makes kitty sad.

Everything after stealth, though, is awesome. One of the biggest annoyances with old Rengar was once you went in and did your thing, you were kind of just...there. You either killed your target and then died yourself, or just kinda stood there with some bonus resistances and auto-attacked while everything was on cooldown. Having another five stacks and bonus movespeed after going in gives Rengar players something to do after going in - a huge boon and really an added fun element. Finally, many thanks for lowering the rank 1 cooldown. 140 seconds was a little unnecessary.

~~~

Overall, there's a lot to like about new Rengar in his W,E, and post-stealth R. However, I feel his new kit could be more consistent with who Rengar is as a champion. While Rengar enjoys the fight itself, he ultimately needs to kill things. If he prides himself on securing kills, I feel his role is an assassin first and fighter second. If you guys feel differently, that's okay, but that's my opinion on him. Besides, fighters generally aren't prone to precision assaults from hidden areas.

W and E feel really good. I'd still like his base Q to tell the enemy "I'm about to have some major DPS coming out; back off!" and it'd be nice if you could still build ferocity off towers, attack speed buff or not. Other than that, I'm just greedy with his ultimate. It's not bad but I'd like it to be a true surprise attack.

Just my thoughts.