Summoner's Rift Map Design feedback

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

03-27-2014
2 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctes setcoN View Post
I think a lot of people here are confusing "map design" with "art design". Pretty sure they want to discuss matters such as brush placements, general geometry placements and sizes, etc etc, not how things actually look (that would go into the "detailed art feedback" thread).

Let's hope @RiotForScience hasnt forgotten this thread already.

I am checking in very frequenty, but not always commenting. You are right about the intent of the thread. I am mostly looking for game-design feedback related to the map. There is another thread dedicated to art concerns. http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...1#post46100280 but I am not too stressed about it if an art critique makes it into this thread. If it is something unique I will probably copy the feedback and paste it into the other thread.

"I think it would be cool if lightning flashes when someone gets a pentakill."

I think additional "Juiciness" on a pentakill is a brilliant idea. There are a lot of ways to do that. I will relay the feedback.

Cosmic Warper

03-27-2014

Those pesky side cliffs near the dragon+ baron tri-brushes where people fail flash the most often; making them thinner would be nice.

Kiech Bepho

03-27-2014

I would really like to be able to view over the side of cliffs. Specifically the one's next to the river by top and bottom. It just feels out of place to be standing on a cliff overhanging the river and not being able to look down.

Also I would like high ground in general provide more vision than low ground.

exec3

03-27-2014

Minor thoughts are that i'm not a fan of the Dragon/Baron pits, the way they've been setup gives one team or the other a higher advantage eg: purple team has easier access to Dragon as well as an easy way out for a failed Dragon where as blue team has to waste a bunch of flashes.

Jungle layout feels a bit outdated and isolated in the map. The transition from big empty lane to dense winding jungle isn't smooth (you could argue this is as much a visual problem as a design one). And with the layout there often doesn't feel like many ways you can go. There's also parts where you're kind of stuck have to walk quite a while around some geometry to get to where you want (hard to explain without being able to point it out).

Finally the bases are too empty, fights in there aren't interesting because of them being gigantic empty areas with no geometry to fight around, I don't know what could be done to help that except maybe expand the small plantation that is in there atm.

Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like if there were mini entrances to the enemy base at the middle of each wall. Maybe it'd allow new in base gank gameplay or something and access to enemy base other than just via past turrets.

Noctes setcoN

03-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctes setcoN View Post
I have a suggestion on how to make Baron a "multi-staged" boss fight, while at the same time potentially balancing out the map: Make it so it spawns at 2:30, the same time as Dragon currently does, only instead of it being the full Baron, it'd just be small tentacles or smaller baby barons. Make them worth as much gold and exp as Dragon, and you have a truly mirrored map (until the real Baron spawns, but usually by that time towers have been taken and people begin roaming).
Something I posted in the "SR Detailed Art Feedback" about Baron and Dragon balancing.

FlongerDonger

03-28-2014

I think the announcer should get more hyped up as towers go down. Destroy tier one tower, same announcer, destroy tier 2 tower announcer sounds a bit more excited, destroy tier 3 towers and beyond announcer is flippin out

Leeroy Gankin

03-28-2014

I think there are some things that do need updated. Like the cliffs the towers and some things like that.

Noctes setcoN

03-30-2014

Bump for the sake of map design.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

04-01-2014
3 of 10 Riot Posts

There really is no need to bump this thread, I am keeping an eye on it. It is a little tricky to comment on since I cannot really explain the design impact of the line-of-sight changes you guys are talking about. Apart from being a little bit of a better simulation what are the advantages to letting you see over the cliffs. How do you see this improving gameplay?

I just need to understand the issue a bit more before I can talk to design about it.

pissedplatypus

04-01-2014

In my personal opinion I feel that the jungle could use a little bit of a rework.

Yes I understand Riot has tried to balance out the jungle but I feel like that jungle is way too horizontal and allows for easy plays for champs such as khazix and tristana and or any champ with a champ that could hop over the small walls of the jungle.

I feel like additional routes throughout the jungle could be implemented and be replaced with either open spots or bushes that could allow for vertical movement through the jungle, this would give teams a faster transition through the jungle and the jungler to actually have a higher mobility through the jungle to stay with the pack of the team. such as the golem spawn, there are is a wall that extends completely down to the East of it to a bush that connects a 4 way crossroad that is constantly contested for ganks on bot lane, if you could open that up it would allow for counter plays against a constant gank on bot as well..

who knows these are just random ideas I have about the map.

1234567 ... 13