Maps Skin Ideas

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bowl of Ketchup

03-29-2014

Some people already mentioned it but I would really like to see story-themed Summoner's Rift. For Piltover maybe the jungle can look like dark alleys with wolves being stray dogs, and Baron Nasher/ dragon is in a zoo-like setting. Everytime they are slain a little siren goes off

discog

03-29-2014

I'll edit my entry in the General SR Feedback thread to this more specific one:

One thing I haven't seen formally suggested in this thread I'd like considered: map skins that correspond or be home to the most common champion skin themes.

I've already seen suggestions to bring back the Harrowing and Snowdown SR skins, and add in an underwater or beach skin and a Magma/Fire/Infernal skin. Those four SR skins correspond to a lot of champion skins:

Winter/Snowdown/Frozen: 43(!) skins (if you include all Snowdown Showdown)
Harrowing/Halloween/Haunted: ~17 skins
Underwater/Pirate/Beach: 27 skins (including pool party and Bilgewater themes)
Fire/Infernal/Magma: 20 skins

I love this idea because these common skin themes suggest different, shared worlds for the Champions, and an SR skin to correspond just extends that awesome idea. Imagine a battle of on-fire or infernal champions, waged on a volcanic/hellscape battlefield? How cool would that be? But there are some other popular character skin themes I'd really like to see reflected in a map skin. For example:

Lunar Revel/Warring Kingdoms: 12 skins
Wild West: 8 skins
Modern Life/City: ~15 skins
Modern Warfare: ~17 skins
Deep Jungle/Tribal: ~15 skins
Middle East/Shurima Desert: ~10 skins

Plus, I can think of so many cool ideas for map skins based on these themes! A Lunar Revel SR skin could have traditional chinese buidings in the bases, and look like a Three Kingdoms era battlefield. A skin based in a modern day city could replace the trees with buildings like a doughnut shop (for Officer Cait and Vi) or a hospital (for the Dr. Ninjas) and the lanes with paved streets, and feel like a riot (hah!) or gang fight. Or imagine a Wild West skin with cacti and tumbleweeds where the bases were small wild west towns, and the lanes feel like western showdowns. I'd love to see any of these worlds come to life.

RiotForScience, thanks for taking all these comments in such an enthusiastic way.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

04-01-2014
15 of 16 Riot Posts

No problem at all, thank you for the amazing suggestions.

daft inquisitor

04-02-2014

I really like Discog's idea. I think it fits well with skin selections, and makes a lot of off-lore sense as well.

HazeyInDaHead

04-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by discog View Post
snip

Plus, I can think of so many cool ideas for map skins based on these themes! A Lunar Revel SR skin could have traditional chinese buidings in the bases, and look like a Three Kingdoms era battlefield. A skin based in a modern day city could replace the trees with buildings like a doughnut shop (for Officer Cait and Vi) or a hospital (for the Dr. Ninjas) and the lanes with paved streets, and feel like a riot (hah!) or gang fight. Or imagine a Wild West skin with cacti and tumbleweeds where the bases were small wild west towns, and the lanes feel like western showdowns. I'd love to see any of these worlds come to life.

RiotForScience, thanks for taking all these comments in such an enthusiastic way.

Did you say a piltover SR skin??

We could have faction based genome skins. What about a void skin? I like the underwater skin idea.

I like correlating SR skin idea with existing Champ skin themes!! Pool party skins in the underwater SR. Mafia and officer skins in the piltover sr. Noxus for the noxus skin and void champs and skins for the void sr skin!

The overwhelming use of the SR skins in the niche Factions game type would be enough to warrant their creation.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

04-05-2014
16 of 16 Riot Posts

I think the niche point is pretty valid. As an artist I just think it would be aesthetically awesome. I like themeing maps based on the champion skin genres.

Dorkdav

04-05-2014

I'd like to add my vote for a beach themed SR. Lots of palm trees, turquoise waters, warm sand. You could have Urf there. Beauty and fun should be the main theme of the map.

As for other ideas, I like the idea of having maps for each major country/faction. So people can get a better idea of what Runeterra is like.

Another would be a Riot Headquarters map. Where the camps are different departments. Wolves are replaced with monkeys throwing darts and "Champion Balance" is the sign over their camp. The river is made of money. Phreak could be a shop keeper that keeps making horrible puns about the items you are buying. Baron has the head of one of the designers. Lots of opportunities for jokes.

I would like to see an indoors map of some sort.

Gnome Reaper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2014

Bitter Sweet Summoner's Rift. Candy land theme would be funny and would fit with quite a few skins that are already in existence.

ManaToast

04-05-2014

World championship skin

Cya later Nerds

04-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I think the niche point is pretty valid. As an artist I just think it would be aesthetically awesome. I like themeing maps based on the champion skin genres.
please new maps for 5v5 it'd be amazing if we got a beach/theme park themed map