Team Builder is live!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-30-2014
15 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman Fizz View Post
I'm getting into games a lot faster when I have one or more people to play with and one of us gets to be Captain. The time it takes me to get teammates and get into game is much shorter than the time it's taking me just to find a team when I look by myself.

Also, even though it might make wait times a bit longer, I liked not having the premade requirement for 2 reasons:

1. It feels nicer having a larger portion of your wait being inside of a lobby waiting for other teammates. Even if you're not talking to the other players, just knowing that there are other people with you waiting makes it more bearable.

2. You won't have to wait as long if you decide that the team you get doesn't fit what you want to do. For example, if I'm playing Yasuo and get no knockups on my team, I would want to find a new team, but if I found that team only after waiting 50 minutes, I'm extremely pressured to go with it anyway because it would take a long time to find a new team.
The experiments with Captain requirements aren't quite done yet, but we're very interested in giving positive or honorable players more features in a system like Team Builder.

We know there are lots of Solo players who enjoy having full control over their composition, and don't mind the extra wait in queue times. Perhaps one idea would be to allow positive players or ones that have been great teammates always have access to be Solo Captains--something worth thinking about.

Nosef

03-30-2014

Can we have it where you don't have to pick your champ and just your role? I feel too locked in having to choose a champ and a skin before doing anything, and would like the ability to select my champ based around my allies picks.

Fisherman Fizz

03-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
The experiments with Captain requirements aren't quite done yet, but we're very interested in giving positive or honorable players more features in a system like Team Builder.

We know there are lots of Solo players who enjoy having full control over their composition, and don't mind the extra wait in queue times. Perhaps one idea would be to allow positive players or ones that have been great teammates always have access to be Solo Captains--something worth thinking about.
That would be awesome! How many people would it consider to be positive enough for that though?

The Kajikid

03-30-2014

I know that it was just finalized in normals, but when do you think you might insert something like this in ranked play? Countless times I, and many like myself, are forced into roles and classes we aren't good at. I am constantly having to play either a support or a jungle (two lanes I'm admittedly not the best at) and while yes practicing the role would be beneficial, it won't change the fact that they are my worst lanes, and not what I want to rely on when I solo que into ranked.

On a non personal note- it will help to reduce in lobby fighting allowing for a cleaner, smoother champ select if everyone knows what roles they have, and not needing to worry so much about pick order, or call order (Let's be honest. It's against the summoner's code, but if they are that kind of person, they aren't going to care about something like that.)

leaving bans the way they are is fine, leaving champion selection the way it is is fine, just please give us something to call our roles with ahead of time that way we can focus more.

Take your time with it, because I don't mind waiting for you to get it just right

I admit that it won't stop every troll from making us want to tear our hair out, but it would be a welcome addition and would make me, and people like me, much more willing to start ranked play if we can reduce the stress that happens before the game even by a little bit if we let the try-hards get their role without making someone else's life miserable in the champ select.

I love you guys, I love your game, And I thank you for taking your time to read this (Assuming you do).

Chess435

03-30-2014

Something I'm curious about: How often do people Honor each other in Team Builder compared to other queues?

blindworld

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2014

Lyte:

Are you looking at the effects of Team Builder on toxicity in blind pick?

Theoretically, most players will try and use their time in the most efficient way possible by playing the mode that has the shortest queue time for the role they want to play. Since Team Builder has gone live, top/mid have had longer queues than blind pick, jungle has been about even, and ADC/support been significantly quicker. If I am either a top or mid main, I'll be able to play more games if I play exclusively blind pick. If I want to play jungle, with queue times being equal, or if I want to play ADC or support than I'll queue Team Builder in order to be guaranteed the role I want while still making an efficient use of my time.

This is fantastic for Team Builder, but once everyone figures this out the only players left in blind pick will be top and mid mains who also want to make an efficient use of their time. Toxicity and tilt both occur often in champion select, usually because a player does not get to play their desired role. Over time Team Builder will shrink the pool of blind pick players to those who just main top or mid, making it common to start games with 3 people who are not in their best role. I would not be surprised at all if normal queue reports have gone up because of this. If this trend continues, blind pick will be avoided even more by jungle, ADC and support mains as it becomes known for being toxic.

Of course the easiest solution is to disable blind pick and force people into draft or Team Builder. If that's the case, draft may end up seeing negative effects as well as everyone slowly gets more specialized. Another common trigger for toxic behavior is having a teammate performing poorly. As people become more specialized, their MMR will no longer match their skill, but will be an average of "I'm on my best role and stomping everyone" and "I'm getting crushed because I'm forced on something else". I have not been able to think of any good solutions for this, but I do think that this risk is lower than the risk of increasing toxicity in blind pick.

TLDR: Team Builder will cause toxicity in blind pick because only top and mid mains will be playing so 3 people won't get their desired role.

Obake

03-31-2014

Another data point here, playing Team Builder on my low level account (started 5, hit 6 after first game).

Starting at about midnight CST:
Sona bot support - <30 sec to lobby, game started shortly thereafter
Miss Fortune bot marksman - 15 min waiting then cancelled
Sivir bot marksman - 10 min to lobby, 5 to game start
Xerath mid - <30 sec to lobby, 5 to game start

-----

One more for the night, Xin top fighter at something over 20 minutes. Didn't get an exact look at it.

Also, forgot to mention incase its relevant, but all estimated times were at 1 minute.

What struck me as slightly odd was that I had such long queues for marksman, yet both the following games were waiting on marksman (technically bot lane/any role).

IStillLikeU

03-31-2014

Before this "change" i used to wait 5-10 minutes.Now i can't enter an lobby,after this time This is my 2nd try of Team builder(after the change)
PS:
Eu/Nord east Server its 11:39 AM at here'

Topzr

03-31-2014

the best way to implement team builder is to merge it with Blind pick. I know it sounds ridiculous but it makes sense. It would Decrease Q time tremendously . For those that like traditional blind pick wouldn't know that they are facing a team builder. And for those that are using team builder wouldn't know the difference that their opponents came from blind pick. For league of legends to be discreet about this change because it would create a bit of an Epidemic of complaints on the forms. But speaking from a buyers perspective I would be more inclined to pay money for characters if this would be implemented. League of legends needs to do what is best for the consumer. Personally I like team builder because I can preselect if I would like to be a Tank support or just flat out DPS character. It reduces the arguments of who goes where. That would reduce the work on number of complaints as well just saying that's where it normally starts.

on a separate note I would totally say more but maybe for a later note.

Super Explosion

03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Perhaps one idea would be to allow positive players or ones that have been great teammates always have access to be Solo Captains
Do you realize the detriments of actually disallowing solo captaincy except for select circumstances?

To be honest, duo captain requirement seems to be a gambit to force players to pick more support+marksman and jungle to improve that queue time specifically-- rather than just balancing the game to make those roles more enjoyable.

Again, that would perhaps be a subversive method of meta enforcement.