Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

daft inquisitor

03-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
The purpose of this thread is to gather feedback based on people's feelings and opinions about the state of SR. There are similar threads for every map and even a thread for maps that we have not made. The existence of this thread should not imply any future direction. It is just a convenient place for people to leave input where they know the members of the Environment Team will see it.
Right, but we KNOW a Summoner's Rift rework is in progress, people have already found the data files and textures. Those of us that know about it are DYING to know when it's coming, because it looks so amazing so far!

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

03-26-2014
78 of 97 Riot Posts

I think now would be a great time to recap some more of the feedback that I have noticed on the thread.

61. Need a more iconic exploration of dragon
62. Make creep comps feel lived in by their inhabitants
63. Minions need a rework and it would be great to have a map-specific skin for minons
64. Build models and textures in a way that permits the map to be rotated***
65. Destroy landscape when towers fall
66. Make Baron look like the Twist of Fate cinematic
67. Make baron be a multi phased bossfight. Fight tentacles before baron spawns***
68. Make SR look as good as HA
69. Redesign the map to be as animated as CS
70. Balance the map by fixing inequity of HUD and camera. Orient the map from right to left***
71. Have min spec lower than HA
72. Create landmarks in the playspace to indicate where you can flash or ward
73. Increase the resolution of the map, but donít change it like we did with HA/TT***
74. Tie SR into Freljord and Ironspine mountains. Hook it into the lore of Runeterra***
75. More easter eggs especially things associated with specific champions

I think this batch of feedback from this thread is really great. I really want to thanks everyone that has made suggestions and given critique on this thread. It has been really informative. I really like the idea of making jungle creeps feel lived in. I think that idea would both be visually cool and would help map clarity by making it easier to orient yourself around the map.

exec3

03-26-2014

Baron being a multi stage boss fight would be crazy epic. Though would need a complete redesign of him which I assume would be beyond the scope of a VU.

You said in the original post that items with asterics you would go into more detail as to why they may not be possible (or at least from memory that was the reason for them) but you haven't really as of late, any reason why?

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

03-26-2014
79 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
Baron being a multi stage boss fight would be crazy epic. Though would need a complete redesign of him which I assume would be beyond the scope of a VU.

You said in the original post that items with asterics you would go into more detail as to why they may not be possible (or at least from memory that was the reason for them) but you haven't really as of late, any reason why?
well 2 reasons. Mostly I forgot, but partially I have answered many of those asterixed issues previously in this thread. I can dive in again though

Build models and textures in a way that permits the map to be rotated***
I get why people want this, but generally the sacrifice is too high. It reduces the quality of our map by forcing us to abandon some very powerful art creation tools, and raises our min spec; something we would not be happy to do.

Make baron be a multi phased bossfight. Fight tentacles before baron spawns***
This sounds super rad... I don't have much to add on that point. I am not sure that the flow of the game would support a full-on raid-style encounter. But I think there is a place between there and where he is now that could be good. Great suggestion.

Balance the map by fixing inequity of HUD and camera. Orient the map from right to left***
This is the point I think I have discussed before, We are looking at a myriad of things we can do to improve the balance of the map. Many of the most effective tools at improving this concern are very disruptive to the feel of the map. We are examining solutions that solve the problem while preserving what people enjoy about SR.

Increase the resolution of the map, but donít change it like we did with HA/TT***
From an environment standpoint we want to raise the visual fidelity of every map in our game to the levels we set on TT and HA. I hope my great grandchildren could play league of legends, for that to be possible every avenue of improvement needs to be on the table. Even the points that I have shied away from in this thread are more concerns about whether those changes are appropriate in the near term, rather than if they are appropriate concerns at all..... Sorry I get wordy when I am trying to be vague.

Tie SR into Freljord and Ironspine mountains. Hook it into the lore of Runeterra***

I really like the idea of tying SR into the overall lore of Runeterra. I think the concept of Freljord has evolved into a distinct space from SR and is already represented by a pretty cool map. but, yes SR needs it's own place in the world.

Noctes setcoN

03-27-2014

I have a suggestion on how to make Baron a "multi-staged" boss fight, while at the same time potentially balancing out the map: Make it so it spawns at 2:30, the same time as Dragon currently does, only instead of it being the full Baron, it'd just be small tentacles or smaller baby barons. Make them worth as much gold and exp as Dragon, and you have a truly mirrored map (until the real Baron spawns, but usually by that time towers have been taken and people begin roaming).

Some people (myself included) brought this up (map balance, not the "baby baron" idea specifically) in your other thread on SR Map Design Feedback (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4388140).

Proximus D

03-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Build models and textures in a way that permits the map to be rotated***
I get why people want this, but generally the sacrifice is too high. It reduces the quality of our map by forcing us to abandon some very powerful art creation tools, and raises our min spec; something we would not be happy to do.
You can rotate the map in LoLReplay, and it honestly already looks pretty good. The brushes are looking strange from that angle and some areas with lots of tombstones are just plain grey stones on the back side, but fixing that for a properly rotated map surely wouldn't raise the system min spec noticably?

Nimir Rah

03-27-2014

All of this stuff sounds really, really cool! Although there is one thing I'm really afraid of.

If things are "more like the Howling Abyss" on Summoners Rift, I mourn for my poor computer. Howling Abyss is fun to play every so often but I can't/don't play it regularly because there is slight lag due to all the extra features going on. I'm really fearful that this will make normals unbearable to play and I hope that doesn't happen.

prey2112

03-27-2014

It would be awesome if the dragon area looked more like a dragons den, because it kind of looks out of place right now.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

03-27-2014
80 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimir Rah View Post
All of this stuff sounds really, really cool! Although there is one thing I'm really afraid of.

If things are "more like the Howling Abyss" on Summoners Rift, I mourn for my poor computer. Howling Abyss is fun to play every so often but I can't/don't play it regularly because there is slight lag due to all the extra features going on. I'm really fearful that this will make normals unbearable to play and I hope that doesn't happen.
I believe we recently made some optimizations to HA performance, I'm curious to hear if you're still experiencing the framerate issues.

exec3

03-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
I believe we recently made some optimizations to HA performance, I'm curious to hear if you're still experiencing the framerate issues.
Are you talking about new performance improvements or fixes to the recent fps issues? If new I should check it out as I wasn't impressed by the performance (GTX770 here) but I rarely play ARAM so I haven't noticed and change in performance.