FPS Issues on Death Using Mac Client

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SgtImrak

03-24-2014

For me its the worst on the first death and happens randomly on the next deaths. It has not changed for different champions I play nor what happens around me for it to occur.

Asatorrr

03-24-2014

just out of curiosity, you said it was an issue rendering the deathrecap screen...could there be a way to force an early one? so like maybe when the game starts, it begins with a "dead" phase (ala deathrecap) and then you spawn (say .5seconds after the match starts so its not even like a huge issue)?

[edit] as i read that back it doesnt really sound feasible

Mike4Real

03-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmeister View Post
Dang. This bug continues to be elusive. I do know for a FACT that we cut off ~80ms off of death for Mac (when working on this, I have the game log how long each frame takes). Are there any specific champions (other than nocturne) where you notice this is more of an issue? Is it every time you die or does a lot have to be happening?
I feel like you did make a small impact, because when I do a custom 1v1 game on summoners rift versus a bot for example there are times where I won't freeze. I've done this with Kog'Maw without freezing, and Nasus. I haven't found anyone else yet who freeze more consistently or longer than others other than Nocturne. For me this issue has always been for just my first death, but there have been some rarer cases where it would happen on my second or random sequential deaths.

Maybe a custom game is no longer the best place to test this issue. I don't feel like what's going on around me has a big effect on the problem because I've definitely died to an ignite just sitting at my tower alone and the issue happened. Which isn't really a lot going on, but then again I've had it happen on ARAM a lot, which would be the map where the most stuff is going on.

If I play some normal games later tonight I'll post about each of my games. I'll keep track of who I was playing, if I froze or not, what was going on around me, and If it was only on the first death.

GarnetDust

03-24-2014

This hasn't affected me since the new patch. I also lowered the visuals in game and my ping and FPS are much higher too.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-24-2014
12 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4Real View Post
I feel like you did make a small impact, because when I do a custom 1v1 game on summoners rift versus a bot for example there are times where I won't freeze. I've done this with Kog'Maw without freezing, and Nasus. I haven't found anyone else yet who freeze more consistently or longer than others other than Nocturne. For me this issue has always been for just my first death, but there have been some rarer cases where it would happen on my second or random sequential deaths.

Maybe a custom game is no longer the best place to test this issue. I don't feel like what's going on around me has a big effect on the problem because I've definitely died to an ignite just sitting at my tower alone and the issue happened. Which isn't really a lot going on, but then again I've had it happen on ARAM a lot, which would be the map where the most stuff is going on.

If I play some normal games later tonight I'll post about each of my games. I'll keep track of who I was playing, if I froze or not, what was going on around me, and If it was only on the first death.
Can you post your game.cfg file as well? I'd like to make sure we're testing with the exact same settings. It'd be weird but may it only happens on a very specific combination of settings.

Mike4Real

03-24-2014

Yea, here's my file from League of Legends/Contents/LoL/Config

I had to I had to change it from a .cfg to a .txt because the file uploader on the forums kept telling me it was invalid.

Attached Files
File Type: txt game.txt (1.7 KB, 38 views)

Infinthesis

03-24-2014

The same issue happens on all deaths. A second before the animation occurs (Nidalee's spear is a cm away from me), the entire screen freezes, and then I am suddenly dead.

I have the issue on my MacBook Late 2009, but on my MacBook Pro 15" Retina (the most recent model, 16 gb ram, nvidia gtx, 2.5 ghz) it runs perfectly at 60 fps with no errors ever, even in loading.

I've also noticed my Macbook 2009 will not load on the loading screen until the mouse changes into the glove-pointer for the game. It just stays at a certain stagnant point.

Mike4Real

03-24-2014

Quote:
I didn't wind up playing any League tonight so I'll try and do this tomorrow. I'll keep a log of everything I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinthesis View Post
I have the issue on my MacBook Late 2009, but on my MacBook Pro 15" Retina [...] runs perfectly at 60 fps with no errors ever, even in loading.
That's interesting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinthesis View Post
I've also noticed my Macbook 2009 will not load on the loading screen until the mouse changes into the glove-pointer for the game. It just stays at a certain stagnant point.
Same thing with me! I also notice that my game will falter around a certain percentage sometimes even giving me the rainbow wheel, and then when I get the LoL 'glove' cursor it starts to go extremely fast. Pretty weird, not sure what that's about.

suprachiasmatic

03-25-2014

hi this bug is extremely annoying. I play zyra a lot and it has really ruined my ability to use her passive.

Mike4Real

03-25-2014

Quote:
Alright so I played 4 games tonight, 3 on summoners rift in normal games, and one ARAM.

Game 1: Shyvanna jungle on Summoners Rift in a normal game. My first death was top lane in the bush against an enemy Lee Sin in a very close 1v1 duel after a tower dive. He killed me and I did not freeze. There we're no other champions near us. I did not freeze for sequential deaths.

Game 2: Pantheon on Summoners Rift in a normal game. During this game my internet went out for about 2 minutes (Comcast OP). After reconnecting my first death still had not yet occurred. I died for the first time near the enemy bottom inhibitor turret. I definitely froze for about 1.5 seconds. There were about 3 enemy champions near me and one allied, it was a smaller skirmish. I did not freeze for sequential deaths.

Game 3: Diana on Howling Abyss in an ARAM game. My first death was in a fight where most of both teams were involved. I froze for about 2 seconds. This was during an ARAM team fight basically. I did not freeze for sequential deaths.

Game 4: Warwick top lane on Summoners Rift in a normal game. I didn't pay attention good enough during this game so I don't have any data for it. Its hard for me to remember to keep track sometimes.

I played on the same options I uploaded earlier but I'll re-attach it. I will keep doing this if its helpful.

Attached Files
File Type: txt game.txt (1.7 KB, 9 views)