Summoner's Rift Map Design feedback

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

03-24-2014
1 of 10 Riot Posts

I have been monitoring a thread over in the Art Forum where people have been posting feedback and critique for SR http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3717689 . I thought it would be great to create a sister thread to that one over here to focus on Map design features that you like or hate in SR. I would love to hear your ideas.

Jikanu

03-24-2014

It would be nice to have it more obvious whether or not you can flash/jump/dash across/through/over walls.

Whoa There Betsy

03-24-2014

Holy hell a red posted in SR

Slurpeess

03-24-2014

How about riot focuses on their connection problems.

Jikanu

03-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Riven NA View Post
How about riot focuses on their connection problems.
an environment artist should fix connection problems???

immortalibra

03-24-2014

Those Wolves and Golems could look so much cooler

Xtremey

03-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalibra View Post
Those Wolves and Golems could look so much cooler
this would be nice.

I dont really feel there are any major things, aside from playing rengar and wanting bushes everywhere.

FlongerDonger

03-24-2014

I would like a better looking map in general, the the only reason I liked dota's 5 v 5 map better than SR was because it had feeling with it. Roshan, the Baron of DOTA 2, his pit looks amazing, you can place wards around it but not directly in it and he has a much more epic feel than the purple monster we call baron. The map's jungle should be sproosed up too and the lanes could look so much better.

Maybe you could play on the battle cast feel that you guys are going for recently. Have one side of the map be completely battle castified (Red side) the trees and jungle creatures are all robotisized and the area is noticeably darker, while blue side has this all natural feel to it. Baron and Dragon would be immune to the robot changes since they are the games big bads and as such aren't effected. It would make the map feel more worth it and make it feel epic to play.

Think about it your on blue team and you have to stop Victors army of creeps from corrupting your nexus while you have to purify the enemy nexus. It would be so epic! hell you could even do it with the void instead of battlecast, Have one half of the map be nothing but void features and hell change baron nashors lore to where HE IS FROM THE VOID. Make him one of those void gods that we've never seen before.

Noctes setcoN

03-24-2014

I've always felt like something should be done about the locations of baron and dragon, because they're kind of the reason the meta is what it is, in terms of lane positions and map control, and purple side kind of has to suffer for it.

I dont know, I dont think how things are is bad, but I think things can be better to better balance the two sides.

Why aren't both sides of the map mirrored, when other maps such as Twisted Treeline are? What were the reasons the map design team decided to place and keep things in the same place they're in now on SR? And have any ideas popped up (internally) in terms of possible ways to change how much dragon influences champions and their lane positions (basically the bottom half of the map is what matters early, top lane and jungle is more or less its own isolated island with no necessary impact until roaming begins)?

gr8job

03-24-2014

I feel like the game could be a lot cooler and foster a bit more team spirit if the sides represented factions of some sort. Like what is blue, and what is purple? Why would the two colors fight against each other? It would be neat if two random factions were generated for each side, so sometimes you'd see Freljord vs. Ionia, and Void vs. Demacia the next match, and the map for either side could reflect that alignment.
I also agree that the map should mirror each other to increase viability of roles being played in different lanes. Additionally, dragon and Baron should really be, like, in a central location, with no walls preferential to either side.
All in all, I like the simplistic nature of SR. No bells or whistles to distract from the gameplay. But I feel like a little extra flair could be interesting if done tastefully.

1234511 ... 13