Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

12-08-2010
176 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigiwoo View Post
Jungling as a required mechanic.
It wont be as much in the mid-december patch. We are reducing global XP rewards in general, and giving solo laners an XP penalty (no effect on junglers). We feel this will make double duo lane viable, or closer to it anyway.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

12-08-2010
177 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadi View Post
But as a design director, isn't it your job to make sure we are satisfied?

Oh wait. Design director. Just force an underling to tell us, then fire him for doing so. Problem solved.
In general yes, but I won't please ONE player at the expense of my job. Now, if EVERYONE in the community wanted blind monk, maybe it would be a different story.

Waffles Inc

12-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
In general yes, but I won't please ONE player at the expense of my job. Now, if EVERYONE in the community wanted blind monk, maybe it would be a different story.
But everyone in the community totally does want Blind Monk. Just ask hohums.

CogitoErgo

12-08-2010

Waffles Inc Speak for yourself.

Anti-fun = 70 min game(s)! yes plural
That includes Tryn being the ONLY person who can kill your team even though you can beat his whole team (over and over and over) followed by him aceing you after.

Doesn't happen every game but **** it happens a-lot...

Karbon

12-08-2010

Quote:
I would say if you took a poll on who wants him you would get close to the "everyone" figure

Bradders11

12-08-2010

Quote:
I don't agree. You were dead anyway, your expectation of retaining the buff should be 0. But they get a lot of fun out of spawning with it. So the anti fun should be less than the fun in that case.
Yes but it gives them a huge advantage in their lane for overextending and getting lucky by getting an afterlife kill.

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

12-08-2010

Quote:
Annie is a stronger character, but there are situations and team comps where LeBlanc is better.
Quote:
LeBlanc // ...also better against a tanky melee team.
Hi Zileas - I have been playing quite a number of games with LeBlanc. Could you please list some reasons how she's better against a tanky melee team? What types of advantages does she offer to counter that type of team?

What types of team comps can you recommend to lend to a more compatible team combination to include her? Perhaps when time permits.

Thank you for your continued posts, very insightful.

S T

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-08-2010

Zileas, here is a similar question I brought up to morello, and seeing as you touched on the idea of reducing the XP gain for the solo lanes, there is still a large problem in duo lanes, namely:

The fact that when you and a partner are in a lane together, you are forced to compete for last hits.

Is there going to be any remedy for this?

P S Y

Master Recruiter

12-08-2010

Still can't figure how how Vlad's pool made it in under these patterns. It pretty much pisses off anywhere from 1 to 5 people when he uses it, and really only makes vlad happy, so the net effect of anti-fun of vlads pool is anywhere from 0 to -4.

CogitoErgo

12-08-2010

P S Y vlads pool does nothing other then heal him (most times for less then he spent) and it slows.

It's not game breaking, it has a huge cooldown and if you miss use it your dead.