Is Curse voice legal?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tetsuo91

Recruiter

03-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seshouki View Post
I think the "advantage" it gives a player because of the timers is not a problem, there are many jungle timer apps going around already...
The problem is: as of now Curse Voice is only avaiable for people who own a Curse Premium account(unless you get gifted a beta key), meaning that it is sort of a "paid" software, therefore Curse is making money with a League related software.

Now Riot's preview statements about other third party projects:

"We’ll start with our golden rule – you can use League of Legends IP as the basis for a fan project that you’re giving away for free or that’s only generating ad revenue (we’ll refer to this type of free fan project as a “Project”), as long as you comply with the guidelines outlined below for using our IP (the “Guidelines”). As a matter of fact, as long as you comply with our Guidelines, we think it’s great if you create awesome, free and original content for League of Legends fans."

HERE YOU GO. FREEEEEEEEE

http://www.gamerscove.net/cursevoice

NOW SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT IT BEING A "PAID" THING.

KnightxSScarlett

03-14-2014

If anyone has ever paid for the curse voice beta, then it IS a paid thing.

Drenel

03-14-2014

I would just like to say, It seems like a great 3rd party application. Currently, like most things with Curse, it is only for Windows. This excludes a (notably) small portion of users who use Macs. Whether this is a benefit to players or not, excluding a group of players would not be cool.

So basically my point is, if anything is added or changed, please do the same with the Mac Client.

ZzRadio

03-14-2014

Outlaw curse voice. There's no reason not to make it not allowed. Riot is playing favorites with Curse.

Theorchero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2014

Lol.

It only keeps timers for Baron/Dragon and only if you see it get killed. You can't manually toggle it.

It also doesn't time buffs or any other camps.

NineTales9

03-14-2014

what about BoL? it is impossible for you guys to not have noticed it yet.

WuTuStronk

03-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Sargonas View Post
Interesting. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'll look into it. As I stated earlier we have not decided on an official stance to take on this matter yet, so as of this time I can assure you no action will be taken for the use of Curse Voice.
If riot decides to disallow the use of curse voice and assuming it is detectable (wich i have no clue how it gets the information for its timers so i dont know if it is) Will the players be provided with ample time to remove curse voice or will there be retroactive bans?

Riot Sargonas

Developer Relations Manager

Follow Riot Sargonas on Twitter

03-14-2014
4 of 9 Riot Posts

To answer a common question in the thread, if (and heavy emphasis on "if", since as I said before we have no formal stance on this yet), IF we were to decide the use of a an app such as Curse Voice is both a TOS violation and one which we choose to enforce, we would do our best to provide a heads up before hand. It would be bad times all around for everyone involved if we suddenly handed out infractions to huge swaths of members of the community without any sort of warning.

As a side note, just to clarify something mentioned earlier in the thread about the validity of the response from Player Support vs. what I have said previously: My role within the community team is as the Developer Relations Manager for Riot, and my team's job is to manage our relationship with 3rd parties who utilize our API and work with us in other related ways. We work with everyone from big companies like Curse all the way down to little 2 man teams working out of a dorm room, and work to grow and encourage the developer community with all of them. A large part of the policy around the use of third party applications and how they are enforced comes in part from my team. When new issues like this pop up, it's quite common for there to be lots of discussion about this internally, however in this case the poster in question reached out to our Player Support team before I properly included them in the discussion. The mixed messaging was entirely unintentional on my part there. I guess in hind sight I should have communicated a bit more clearly about where I was coming from when I first jumped into this thread!

Latitoast

03-14-2014

i dont see a problem with it

is there any difference between using curse voice and keeping a stop watch next to my computer to time buffs?

supafoot

03-14-2014

ok not that I support or use curse voice, but why not implement some sort similar thing in league? we use the ping system and though some people find/ use it at varying levels there's no doubt it highlights what is going on, from noise to visual queue's that attention is needed in a select area, and normally draws a lot of response, and im a bronze... implement a new sound and new visual queue for everyone, and while people will no doubt argue its fairness, it will no doubt give death to curse voice and problems regarding its unfair advantage. as for the implement of making the game too easy, just make ranked a true scale of difference regarding its players... don't add it, this will allow players in ranked to feel their tier isn't affected and allow some players who need/desire that handicap realize that they need a better understanding of spawn times.