Is Curse voice legal?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saga of Ilthire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unflip View Post
There are several addons on the Chinese client for League that provides even more help than Curse Voice (timers for ALL camps, enemy summoner & ult timers, etc). Not sure of their restrictions overseas, but Curse Voice doesn't exactly provide an unfair advantage, anyone can use it once it goes public.
It shouldn't be required for a player to have to download 3rd party applications to be competitive on timers and such, especially if they're a new player.

Binxy Prime

03-13-2014

If they are a new player it helps more but lets be honest how much difference does it really make, your average bronze player isnt going to make more right decisions because they know the timer, more than likely it will just pressure their team into bad spots and get them killed.

Not saying it isn't helpful but its not such a big advantage that its going to hurt anything, I'm pretty excited for when its public and I can have better communication with my team.

Riot Sargonas

Developer Relations Manager

Follow Riot Sargonas on Twitter

03-13-2014
1 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanical Heart View Post
I think it's really cool you that you get timers and stuff. I really hate keeping track of timers in the chat. I want to play League, not do simple arithmetic. And then forget the time 3 minutes later and go scrolling for it.
This is actually something we've been discussing lately ourselves. Currently we've not taken an official stance on the use of Curse Voice, but we do find it an interesting application. Rest assured, we're aware of the polarizing effects it's had on parts of the community lately and are keeping an open mind. We're taking our time to make sure we make decisions that are the best for the community, as the more information we make available through systems such as our new API, the more that creative tools like this that are developed by the community will arise.

Personally however, I rather enjoy the timers as I'm simply not at a skill level to keep track of those things effectively in my head, and it saves me from having a watch or notepad sitting next to my keyboard.

Noxe Out

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Sargonas View Post
Personally however, I rather enjoy the timers as I'm simply not at a skill level to keep track of those things effectively in my head, and it saves me from having a watch or notepad sitting next to my keyboard.

That gives you an edge.Shouldn't you be getting better yourself? Practicing timing buffs? You just basically said I'm not good enough to time buffs so now I use this addon to make me better.

Should be illegal. Read your terms of Service. If this becomes legal, everyone who wants to do well will have to download it. You're basically saying this is a must-have addon if you want to get higher ELO.

The main issue I have with this is you are basically punishing the team/player who is aware and times the dragon/baron/buffs and actively leads his team to secure these objectives. With this addon, it takes that element out of the game; everyone will be at dragon at 15:05 instead of the better player/team having control on the timer.

Quote:
As the manager of the team who handles our partnerships with third party developers...
This worries me. Considering you love this addon and you handle your partnership with them, it would almost seem like you instigated this to become a thing.

ToS -

J. Using any unauthorized third party programs, including but not limited to "mods," "hacks," "cheats," "scripts," "bots," "trainers," and automation programs, that interact with the Software in any way, for any purpose, including, without limitation, any unauthorized third party programs that intercept, emulate, or redirect any communication between the Software and Riot Games and any unauthorized third party programs that collect information about the Game by reading areas of memory used by the Software to store information;

Just Mid

03-13-2014

Quote:
This is actually something we've been discussing lately ourselves. Currently we've not taken an official stance on the use of Curse Voice, but we do find it an interesting application. Rest assured, we're aware of the polarizing effects it's had on parts of the community lately and are keeping an open mind. We're taking our time to make sure we make decisions that are the best for the community, as the more information we make available through systems such as our new API, the more that creative tools like this that are developed by the community will arise.

I think you should ban all crs members for a day. That would be hilarious.

But really who even cares? So many people have timer injections or apps right now. Also even if it was illegal, how would you even be able to tell? You guys don't even ban BoL users which is definitely illegal. But I understand that you don't really want to stop players from messing with the game because you want us to have the freedom to have cool map mods and such.

Double edged sword eh?

Wild Gengar

03-13-2014

Quote:

glad to see a red reply on this topic! I personally enjoy the idea of having timers as well, i usually mark down timers in the chat but i sometimes forget to check back. so this is useful

chaser676

03-13-2014

Quote:

Very diplomatic answer, thanks for responding. I'm assuming that if you ever decide Curse Voice isn't something you want around, you'll just break whatever it uses to integrate into the client rather than suspending user accounts?

BrandNameZombie

03-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxe Out View Post
That gives you an edge. Should be illegal. Read your terms of Service.
says ir right here

J. Using any unauthorized third party programs, including but not limited to "mods," "hacks," "cheats," "scripts," "bots," "trainers," and automation programs, that interact with the Software in any way, for any purpose, including, without limitation, any unauthorized third party programs that intercept, emulate, or redirect any communication between the Software and Riot Games and any unauthorized third party programs that collect information about the Game by reading areas of memory used by the Software to store information;

Sufyries

03-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxe Out View Post
That gives you an edge. Should be illegal. Read your terms of Service.
Perhaps Riot will officially integrate timers into the client. Not out of the question.

Causation

03-13-2014

Quote:
Its not hard...
Time stamps.
5 minute Buffs
6 minute Dragons
7 minute Barons

You shouldn't even have to think about letting this go through. No.

Quote:
We're taking our time
Nothing new here.