Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seshouki

03-12-2014

Hello @RiotForScience.
First of all I would like to say thank you for your approach to the community's feedback, i really like the way this thread is flowing!

Now to the feedback!

"Historically, the forest where the Rift resides was the site of several battles during Runeterra's various Rune Wars" taken from the SR's Lore. So my question is if SR was the site of several battles where are the scars left by these confronts?

My suggestions to address this and even a few of the items you've listed are:
If we could make the river have it's spring,(currently inexistent) in a waterfall at the Dragon pit, and make the Dragon respawn behind the waterfall (like theres a cave behind it and he's emerging from that cave every 6 minutes, instead of just appearing out of nowhere), that would address:

15. The jungle camps need to be higher quality -(partially)do we consider Dragon to be a jungle camp? =p
24. The River needs to make more sense -check
32. The Terrain feels too flat *** -taking from the rocks surrounding both pits, the river area is supposed to be a lower terrain in comparisson to the rest of the Rift, so the effects of a waterfall would make depth/height perception clearer?
36. Higher tech deep water for the River -check
Name:  drag.jpg
Views: 4043
Size:  89.4 KB

Now that we have set the river's spring at the Dragon pit, my suggestion is that we set it's mouth at the Baron Pit, so the river would flow towards top lane, where there would be located a Scar left from the Rune Wars (maybe a huge Noxian toxic explosion left a crater in the ground creating the perfect place for Nashor's home <3 ), that allows Baron to have a Death animation and a respawn animation where he would rush from his underground lair much like he does in TFs cinematic.

4. Baron’s area does not feel as epic as it should -Toxic residues flowing from Baron's lair while he's dead , danger/toxic warnings , a few skulls lying there and the Nashor respawning in a epic way ready to chew some yordles would do it imo...
13. The map needs better integration with the lore -check
38. The map should feel war-torn - in adition to the baron Lair being a toxic underground cave acidentally created during the wars, we could even replace the bushes located near Baron with a "toxic fog" residue so while near the baron pit you hide in the fog(that works exactly like a bush) instead of a regular bush (maybe i went too far here idk...)

Well thats it, what do you guys think?

Edit: Added a paint image(dont judge me im at work =p). Wow this turned out bigger than i expected and im supposed to be working

Zerglinator

03-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I would not theme the sides to be He-Man vs Skeletor for example, but I would consider something like Lions vs. Unicorns.
You mean you're not aware of the various atrocities unicorns have committed throughout history?

CynicalGiant

03-12-2014

IS THIS REAL!? found in pbe files recently

http://yurixyworks.com/2014/03/01/a-...n-development/

Zegon

03-12-2014

Quote:
59. SR should have a very distinct top feel vs Bottom feel (Light Side Dark Side)
60. Avoid cliché divisions between the top and bottom, like good vs evil

If you look at note 59 and 60 there is some obvious disagreement on this front. I don't think that the good vs evil paradigm for a map is appropriate or realistic. But I do think that having distinct neutral visual motifs would be very beneficial for orientation and creating a clear visual narrative. I would not theme the sides to be He-Man vs Skeletor for example, but I would consider something like Lions vs. Unicorns.
You could do something similar to what Valve did with Team Fortress 2 and RED vs. BLU. They each have very distinct styles in their color pallet and construction (BLU is cold with blues and greys with a very industrial concrete feel while RED is warm with reds and browns and a very rural feel) that makes it easy to tell whose territory you're in. Perhaps simply a change in the type of trees (pine vs. deciduous) or even a seasonal difference (Fall vs. Spring) would give enough variety while still keeping the theme cohesive and not impose 'good vs. evil' morality on the map.

Of course, one thing to keep in mind is even if you don't intend to put a good or evil side in, society gives implications and meaning to colors and shades that may make one side more 'good' or 'evil' anyways. Which is why games usually label threats with red and non-threats with green.

Spectre Gadget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2014

It could be cool to have the map based off of the different regions of Runeterra. Things would be done in opposite of each other. Bases would be Noxus and Demacian themed. The top lane could be Freljord themed while the bottom lane was more Shurima desert. In other areas you could have opposites like portions of the jungle are Piltover and Zaun opposite each other, or Bilgewater and Ionia. The link to the void would be the baron pit (he seems like he's from the void, I'm not sure if there is any lore on him currently...). It would seem weird though to spawn as Jarvan in the noxus themed base lol

blindworld

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2014

Why is good and evil such a terrible motif to avoid? I understand it if you want to avoid making blue good and purple evil but I don't see an issue if you change the border from the river to midlane. Instead of blue vs purple, each team would have top lane fighting in evil territory and bot lane fighting in good territory (or vice versa) without aligning either blue or purple to good or evil, but you still have the added benefit of being able to produce a map based off of any lore concept.

That being said, it would be amazing if you made maps based off of the champions lore. Want to play on freljord? Then someone on either team needs to play a champ associated with that area. You could also do this in sections for champs that historically caused havoc. Someone picked Brand? Add a burning village to the scenery somewhere. Obviously you would want 10 of these on a map but randomly selecting 1 (or maybe 1 per team) would add to the scenery without overcrowding the map.

Mr Tulkas

03-12-2014

Someone mentioned it earlier but they didn't expand the idea in the way that i would have liked. So, Why not make Summoners Rift a battleground? like literally a battleground. Make it LOOK like it was. I feel that approaching it this way opens you up to way more options and give variety to the map besides just a top theme and bot theme. How about depicting like a "fairy" forest, which is kind of what the Rift looks anyways, and add a bunch of signs that this forest was the site of major battles. You could have the lighter element of the forest but bring in darker elements by showing signs of fights once fought. This would give you much more freedom to give certain areas of the map their own feel. I liked the idea of making Baron and Dragon pit like the actual structures a result of some sort of magical or chemical explosion. Maybe Baron was twisted by the magics that tore his home apart. You could imply that by changing the artwork of Baron pit. Giving a name to the buff monsters would be a huge boon as well. You could even put greater emphasis that they are apart of the forest and that the champion is the one invading their home. I feel that just starting with "fairy forest" and adding "war torn battleground" would let you really get creative and not limit you to not being able to add something because it doesn't really fit with any of the themes that you incorporated.

Kildyu71

03-12-2014

So, it's not really an "art" issue... but... well yes, it sort of is...

There are some bushes where if you stand on what looks like the corner of it, it looks like you should be completely inside the bush and shrouded, but in fact your champ is visible, and not in the bush at all. The best example I can think of is the bush near the river, near the mid lane (it used to be called the "banana bush" I think). When I go to the tip of the corner of that bush, I would think I would still be "inside", but I'm not. I'm visible even though the edges of the bush seem to surround my champion.

Thanks

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

03-12-2014
69 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindworld View Post
Why is good and evil such a terrible motif to avoid? I understand it if you want to avoid making blue good and purple evil but I don't see an issue if you change the border from the river to midlane. Instead of blue vs purple, each team would have top lane fighting in evil territory and bot lane fighting in good territory (or vice versa) without aligning either blue or purple to good or evil, but you still have the added benefit of being able to produce a map based off of any lore concept.

That being said, it would be amazing if you made maps based off of the champions lore. Want to play on freljord? Then someone on either team needs to play a champ associated with that area. You could also do this in sections for champs that historically caused havoc. Someone picked Brand? Add a burning village to the scenery somewhere. Obviously you would want 10 of these on a map but randomly selecting 1 (or maybe 1 per team) would add to the scenery without overcrowding the map.

Good point, you are absolutely right in that regard. If we ever did a Noxus vs Demacia map or some other concept that was otherwise bent aesthetically toward good against evil I would orient that conflict away along the other axis.

exec3

03-12-2014

Not too fussed on those PBE leaks, they look more like rough sketches for concept art than actual textures. The designs are nice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klien Kurai View Post
One flaw i see in making the middle of mid lane a bridge is that champions still need to get onto said bridge from river.
I think a good way may be to keep the idea of the slope or steps and have a couple mini arches run along them to allow water to flow through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurgon View Post
I can't figure out how to search this thread to see if this has been mentioned already, so apologies if this is a repost, but one thing I thought would be cool in the event of an SR rework would be to update the shopkeepers, much like the ones in HA. However, in order to prevent set factions appearing to control each side (since I know Riot wants to stay away from a "good vs. evil" implication), I thought it would be neat if each time you got into game, the shopkeeper was chosen from a list of characters, like an Ionian swordsmith, a Noxian armsmaster, a Piltover engineer, etc. That way it's not just "Demacian side vs. Noxian side" or something every single time and each faction gets a chance to be represented. Although I'm assuming it would be difficult to not only create a variety of shopkeepers but be able to randomly insert two into each game without major bugs happening, it would add a lot of flavor and immersion to one of the most frequented locations in the game.
Having you choose makes it complicated and difficult. They should just go with two seperate shop keepers with their own stories like keep the current one for blue side (now with 100% more dialogue!) and then add some sort of native to the other side that can tell you the story of SR.

Quote:
-snip-
I was expecting/hoping for a significant layout change for SR in the Season 4 "jungle change" but that sadly never happened. I don't honestly expect any changes as that's more of a Pre-Season change and assuming the SR VU releases before next preseason you guys won't be interested in redoing your work all over again.

I don't get people who want strictly 'good vs evil' it's not the most interesting setup. It doesn't even have to be something vs something, it could easily just be different parts of the same forest like a city will have commercial in one section and residential in another.