Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

exec3

02-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I think this is a great idea, and a missed opportunity to add depth to Summoner's Rift. I have been talking to folks about this idea. Great suggestion!
Line his den with treasure and call him Smorg.

Klien Kurai

02-17-2014

Quote:
I think this is a great idea, and a missed opportunity to add depth to Summoner's Rift. I have been talking to folks about this idea. Great suggestion!
Bill his name shall be bill

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY bill!!

Klien Kurai

02-17-2014

One flaw i see in making the middle of mid lane a bridge is that champions still need to get onto said bridge from river.

so i was thinking making it less like a traditional bridge and more like a raised platform with long ramps on either side with some sort of way (barred holes of some sorts)to let the water through without it looking weird for champs to walk over.

i do like the idea of it tough would serve to makes the lanes interesting as well as give river more depth

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

03-04-2014
66 of 92 Riot Posts

A couple themes that keep coming up here are the ideas that regardless of other changes; we should preserve the colorful tone of the map and it's min-spec performance. Both of these are very high priorities for the Environment team.

Laurgon

03-04-2014

I can't figure out how to search this thread to see if this has been mentioned already, so apologies if this is a repost, but one thing I thought would be cool in the event of an SR rework would be to update the shopkeepers, much like the ones in HA. However, in order to prevent set factions appearing to control each side (since I know Riot wants to stay away from a "good vs. evil" implication), I thought it would be neat if each time you got into game, the shopkeeper was chosen from a list of characters, like an Ionian swordsmith, a Noxian armsmaster, a Piltover engineer, etc. That way it's not just "Demacian side vs. Noxian side" or something every single time and each faction gets a chance to be represented. Although I'm assuming it would be difficult to not only create a variety of shopkeepers but be able to randomly insert two into each game without major bugs happening, it would add a lot of flavor and immersion to one of the most frequented locations in the game.

RemusNeo

03-05-2014

So when can we estimate the release of a visual update for SR? This year at least?

Donstheman

03-11-2014

Any news on adjusting where the camera locks? People have been crying out for it for years now and still nothing. Its a very fast fix and would make many players happy.

RiotForScience

03-11-2014
67 of 92 Riot Posts

I brought this up several months ago. I don't know where the conversation went after that. I will follow up on this as soon as I can. I may not be able to share that answer once I get it though. I just wanted to let you know that you are being heard.

CragBlade

03-12-2014

Quote:
I brought this up several months ago. I don't know where the conversation went after that. I will follow up on this as soon as I can. I may not be able to share that answer once I get it though. I just wanted to let you know that you are being heard.
These were found in the files of the PBE. Are they real? If they are, Im impressed and excited.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4327409

RiotForScience

03-12-2014
68 of 92 Riot Posts

I would like to keep this thread focused on feedback relating to SR. In that mode here are the next 15 things that people have mentioned on this thread that they would like to see improved or implemented.

46. Secret Portals
47. Make Buff monsters more prominent
48. More directed audio based on factions and characters
49. More SFX in the jungle
50. Stranger audio interactions with Baron and Dragon
51. Darker color template ***
52. The place needs to feel like either an arena or a site of conflict
53. SR needs to feel organic and grounded in reality
54. The jungle shoulden’t feel cultivated to have specific paths
55. The buff creatures and dragon deserve names and implied stories
56. The map needs little details that give it character
57. The map needs to feel “Clean”
58. Make bold changes to the layout***
59. SR should have a very distinct top feel vs Bottom feel (Light Side Dark Side)
60. Avoid cliché divisions between the top and bottom, like good vs evil

Portals are cool, but would be most appropriate for a completely different game mode.

Concerning creating a darker color palate for the game, It is very important to retain the lighthearted tone of our game because people play on it for an extended period of time. A grim-dark map would be visually exhausting. On the other hand if we can control the value and saturation of our visuals in such a way that Champions and VFX are more legible without compromising on the tone, that would be a huge win.

If you look at note 59 and 60 there is some obvious disagreement on this front. I don't think that the good vs evil paradigm for a map is appropriate or realistic. But I do think that having distinct neutral visual motifs would be very beneficial for orientation and creating a clear visual narrative. I would not theme the sides to be He-Man vs Skeletor for example, but I would consider something like Lions vs. Unicorns.