Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Megaware

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanie40 View Post
It's heartening to hear that beta has it at the 95% level. I would expect to be a special case in this way (level 7 (now 8), haven't played PvP before Team Builder was available, possibly that Shyvana was a free champ this week also, misselecting a role (fighter instead of tank maybe)? I don't know, just throwing out ideas that may help.)

Go ahead and take a look at my account in any way you need to see if it will help in any other way to pin this down, if you like.
Shyvana tank is more common but fighter is by no means uncommon, you should be ok either way there. Your being level 8 could make finding pairs for you a bit hard if the other people below level 30 are just not playing team-builder.

Tommies

03-11-2014

I really like it. I hate the queue times. Already in a group using standard meta. Over 12 minutes to get us a Tank jungler.

15 minutes earlier same issue. 10 minute wait time, host quit and I go back to the 6 minute queue to find a group as vel'koz mid.

Nearly 30 minutes of queues

Update: Host quit at 12 minutes. Instantly got put into a party this time. 8 minute wait for tank jungler. Game starting. Total wait time? ~35 minutes using the standard meta comp.

Is this just because people don't queue as jungle tank?
If that's the reason than I'll just avoid the thing because it's a role I primary when I play with friends.

Zerana

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Team Builder was specifically designed as a new take on the core Champion Select experience. The system does not account for drafting and counterpicking, which we agree is integral to the competitive League of Legends experience.

If we were to build a Team Builder queue for Ranked Modes, it'd probably look completely different and we'd just incorporate the lessons that worked from Normal Team Builder. We'd also design the system from the ground up with drafting and counterpicking in mind.
Simple way to fix this is randomizing the captain position. 2 captains are randomized first out of a pool of players, they then face off and ban whatever champs they want banned. They are then matched with 4 other players who also banned the same champions before hand in the same mmr bracket after already picking their roles the only difference is your matched with people who made the same bans and you then choose the champs in the same order as before under your role sheet which you design yourself. If the captain smells a troll he kicks you during the pregame phase or you vote as a team, and then you wait for another player with the same bans who then picks the champion.

Megaware

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerana View Post
Simple way to fix this is randomizing the captain position. 2 captains are randomized first out of a pool of players, they then face off and ban whatever champs they want banned. They are then matched with 4 other players who also banned the same champions before hand in the same mmr bracket after already picking their roles the only difference is your matched with people who made the same bans and you then choose the champs in the same order as before under your role sheet which you design yourself. If the captain smells a troll he kicks you during the pregame phase or you vote as a team, and then you wait for another player with the same bans who then picks the champion.
The kicking could cause problems of elo manipulation.

Send Me Lewds

03-11-2014

I feel like it should be you queue for a role FIRST then you queue for a champ if you want. Put in an option to queue as any role and then just select a champ. That way if say you wanna play top but not sure who as you can still use team builder and don't have to know the champ first. You can just queue top.

Pyrrasu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2014

Playing solo as jungle or support, I can get into games within seconds. But yesterday I made teams with friends. We had between 2 and 4 people total, but it usually took us 5+ minutes to find the jungler or support (whichever I wasn't). Basically the second we began searching, we'd get a mid, and then the remaining time was spent looking for support. I'm not sure if it's just because of the way people are playing or what, but it's very off-putting.

One positive of the long wait: People talk in the pre-game chat, so everyone seems a lot friendlier. There's still ragers in games, but not more than normal.

Supe90

03-11-2014

As a programmer with an interest in UX and solving problems with software, I find the whole story behind the teambuilder to be fascinating. So far I like the concept, and the interface is very impressive. That said, I have a few comments.

I think the fact that playing with friends requires making a lobby is slowing down matchmaking. Currently, there is no way for 2 groups to be matched through the teambuilder. If I want to practice duo-laning with a friend, I have to create a lobby. If another 2 people want to play mid and top, they also need to make a lobby. Ideally, we'd have been matched together and only needed one more player. I don't have any data on this, but there is probably an excess of lobbies being created. I'm sure someone on your team has probably thought about this, and you have actual data whereas I don't, but feedback is feedback.

As far as support and tank being synonymous in some cases, my suggestion is to have the role dropdown shrink in width and expose a new dropdown for a "secondary role". Support isn't a role, and pretty much means "the non-farmer of a duo lane". Therefore, someone can queue up as a Support-Tank or a Support-Mage, or as a bottom lane non-support mage. There's probably other ways of handling it, but that's my suggestion. It may also have been mentioned in this thread, but I have no time to read through 100+ pages.

Anyways, good work so far to the development team. From what I've seen, its very amazing stuff.

MysteriousGoo

03-11-2014

[QUOTE=MysteriousGoo;45754779]Is this supposed to happen?[/Q]
as in we were all matched as middle

PenguBandit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2014

It's be nice to edit the options in search screen in case team comp changes a little.

djump

Senior Recruiter

03-11-2014

I made use of my team builder beta time to play agressive, gold generation, support ashe. I'm calling sleeper OP on this. I went 5-0. Here's an example (note the gold).