Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fallenmoonz

03-11-2014

[QUOTE] Before I start I just want to say I absolutely love the Team Builder feature. I dont mind waiting the extra few minutes queuing up. Probably the best feature about team builder is that I can do other things while waiting. There is one small bug I have noticed, when someone leaves the team the chat empties out and then refills when someone talks. Besides that I absolutely love this feature. At first I thought it would be useless for a penta-queue but it actually helps me and my friends pick their roles without having to rush. I can also fill out my mastery page before hand knowing what I will be playing. One thing I have observed is there are way more AFK'ers in team builder than in normals. I have played about 6-7 team builder games and in them I think I may have had 2-3 afk'ers.

Thanks again Lyte. Love yah <3/QUOTE]

yeah I've met a lot of Afk'ers and people who would kick people immediately But also there are tons of people who have fun plans and will accept anyone no matter what they want to play I BEG you to please please please make this a permanent game mode this is an amazing thing.

fallenmoonz

03-11-2014

and it would be nice if it was possible to invite friends in to the game

Chrisgbk

03-11-2014

I tried out team builder, duo with a friend so we could lane together at bot. Picked basically standard meta, nothing special, typical AD Carry and support. Sat in queue for almost 20 minutes waiting on a jungler, any jungler. Had 2 join and decline. Gave up on waiting.

I would suggest adding an indicator of what the queue times will be per role, based on what people are looking for, so if people see that jungler, for example, is in demand, they will be more inclined to queue as that role to join a game faster.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-11-2014
45 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojourneRBurns View Post
Can this be modified in a way so that it doesn't enforce the current meta and the game is allowed to continue to evolve on the input of players?

I know I know, it doesn't enforce the meta, playing non-meta just "takes a little longer." Tell that to the two hours I wasted sitting in queues that inevitably failed to get a game going and eventually closed down.

As of right now, this stops people from learning to change, adapt or compromise and to top it off it all but eliminates anything but Tank/Fighter Top, Tank/Fighter Jungle, Mage/Assassin mid, Marksman and Support Bot.

I like the concept of team builder but it has all the problems many of us predicted it would have, at least those of us who weren't yelled at, silenced and talked down to for daring to dissent.

So far riot's response to the meta worry has been "It will just take a little longer." I feel like this is shrugging off legitimate concerns because the out and out reality is that it won't "take a little longer" it just "won't happen."

Since I have a dissenting opinion, this comment will now be voted down into oblivion. All glory to the hypnotoad.
I've seen a lot of posts of players having some queue issues with some roles or champions, and we're investigating them.

So far, most (and by most, we mean ~95%) players have queue times that are just a few minutes or less--that's even with unorthodox things like Marksman-Corki-Mid or Talon-Jungle. But, a small % of players are getting queue times more than 10 minutes. We're investigating to see if there's something weird in the matchmaking, or what is in common with these special cases.

King of Limbs33

03-11-2014

One idea, allow players to select "random". This would work similar to ARAM. There seem to be gaps in the queues, assigning "random" to those gaps might help move the queues forward.

KevinDelMarr

03-11-2014

It should not take 5 minutes to find someone who wants to play Marksman Bot Lane. I don't know what the game is trying find, but I really don't want to wait several minutes just to find one commone position. If the game tries too hard to find perfect MMR matches or whatever then I would very much like an option that asks you how strict you would like your search. Often I'm using Team Builder as Captain because I want to play a certain Champion in a role and just want other people to play with

If everyone is trying to be captain and not enough stragglers then i guess I understand. but I really just want to get into a game

Kagami

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I've seen a lot of posts of players having some queue issues with some roles or champions, and we're investigating them.

So far, most (and by most, we mean ~95%) players have queue times that are just a few minutes or less--that's even with unorthodox things like Marksman-Corki-Mid or Talon-Jungle. But, a small % of players are getting queue times more than 10 minutes. We're investigating to see if there's something weird in the matchmaking, or what is in common with these special cases.
Lyte can you comment on how you think the MMR of it is working currently?

As in quite a few games on team builder I've had diamonds in my game, I am use to seeing plats off and on in normals with my MMR, but the amount of diamonds I've been matched with and against seems a bit off.

Meanie40

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post

It's heartening to hear that beta has it at the 95% level. I would expect to be a special case in this way (level 7 (now 8), haven't played PvP before Team Builder was available, possibly that Shyvana was a free champ this week also, misselecting a role (fighter instead of tank maybe)? I don't know, just throwing out ideas that may help.)

Go ahead and take a look at my account in any way you need to see if it will help in any other way to pin this down, if you like.

MessiahForHire73

03-11-2014

So far, Team Builder is pretty darn great, but there are a couple things about it that I don't really like:

1) You can't invite friends without first choosing your own champion/role. I get why you wouldn't be able to change anything after you start searching, but it'd be nice to be able to get everyone in the lobby and talking before you have to choose a champ.

2) You can't change what you're searching for after you start. A couple of times now we've started searching without specific roles at first, but then after getting maybe four champs we'd rather be able to just change the last slot from any role (or whatever else we may have put intentionally at the time or by accident) to something that would round out the team nicely, rather than be forced to remake the lobby or sift through a bunch of players.

Dausken

03-11-2014

Simply amazing. Played it on PBE hoping it would come true, and here it is on live. Even though it is only for the moment, I can't wait till it is here to stay.