Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Youseishi

03-11-2014

I enjoyed being able to get my lane with no problems, but the only problem I encountered was how long it would take for me to get in a game. Either I was kicked for no reason, or the captain disbanded the game. I like the idea of team builder, I just wish it didn't take forever to get in a game.

Megaware

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishli View Post
... AS simpler example would be, what if i main support, and have different supports i like to play with different adc, someone locks in adc, but the support i've chosen doesn't work well with them?
Yeah I did think that bot lane champ synergy is a little lost in this system. Soraka in particular is hurt as she is only useful in lanes where she is paired with a mana-hungry champ.

demonwarrior11

03-11-2014

So pretty much this new team builder is the regular selection just without a pressured time selection and a guaranteed, on your role and position whether you want to jungle or go adc it will find you a match to where you fit in perfectly without conflict on who goes where, also this will not work for ranked due to the fact that there must be champion banns, unless riot experiments, without the banns for ranked, which is highly unlikely

Smoke DMT

03-11-2014

soooooo i feel there needs to be some sort of chart showing what most people need to complete a group and what is least needed. would help a lot with waiting forever in queue

Ant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

03-11-2014

Third time playing TB and the queue was still extremely short. Not sure if I'm just lucky or what, but I've picked Support each game.

Linkkie3

03-11-2014

After 1 hour and 30 minutes in queue as mid Vel'Koz, I give up xD

Vanilla Sands

03-11-2014

I didn't like the fact that you had to restart the lobby if someone needed to repick or you wanted to invite another friend. If you want to try some weird new meta it's unlikely that the group will let you join. Introducing this game mode for other matches like ranked would be helpful but adding draft pick to the picking.

FrazzledFel

03-11-2014

I'm not sure if what I'm going to say has been mentioned before. I admit, I did not take the time to read all 128 pages of this thread! I just wanted to share a few little glitches I've found, and some suggestions on features I feel the team builder is really lacking.

But before I start "complaining", I want to thank the riot team for this. I feel this has not only helped create teamwork, but in ensuring you get the champion and role you prefer, it helps eliminate contention and thus reduces overall game toxicity. I am very pleased with my experience in team builder thus far, and I hope it comes back for good after you folks fix a few things at the end of the beta. =)

So -- firstly, the major bug I've noticed. For some reason, I've seen this a couple of times now, the team builder would arbitrarily kick someone from the team. Only they wouldn't be kicked. They'd still be in chat, talking, and filling the spot, but to all the other players, they didn't "appear" as being on the team, so they were unable to click the ready button so we could begin play. Also, I, as team captain, was unable to kick the player, because he didn't register as being in the team on my client, either, so our only option was to either disband the team, or ask him nicely to leave.

Some things I feel team builder is lacking without -- I would like to be able to cancel the search for players. There's been a couple of times where I've had a friend log in and want to play with me, but I've been searching for players, and I've already found two of three. Since I can't cancel that last search, my options are either to disband the team (a disappointment to the players I've found) or not include my friend on the team.

Also -- I'd like to be able to change champ/role/lane after the team has been assembled. There still is no clock pressure at that point, it allows us to, after we have a team, discuss weather or not we like the team as it is, or if we want to change anything about it. For instance, we have someone that only plays support as Soraka supporting a Vayne? Maybe they can lane swap to their favorite mid, and allow the person who registered mid to support as Leona. Again, because of the lack of time pressure, I feel this is likely able to be done in a respectful manner. Nobody's going to be begging for a role, or they would have registered as that role to start.

Lastly, I'd like to be able to select a variety of lane/role combinations to start. If I'm not emotionally attached to playing mid, but I'm happy to play anything but top or jungle, for instance I'd like to be able to register that as I solo queue. One could use team builder to "narrow down" their options, but still be flexible to team need. They would just show up in a team, be given their lane and role (based on what the team was looking for), and can then pick the champion they intended to use to fill that role.

A few other things less significant to me, personally, is the ability to change summoner spells / runes + masteries after the team has been readied. I like how in regular draft or blind, you can do that during the final countdown, in case you've forgotten, and it's bitten me a couple of times so far in team builder. I can also see a case against this, if people feel this will be used for griefing (such as switching a Nidalee support to a Nidalee kill-stealer in the last minute, visible by grabbing an ignite or something)

As well, I would be upset if team builder *completely* replaced blind or draft. I like the the ability to deliberately choose a faster queue for somewhat less team cohesion / no guarantee to play the champion you want.

So, suggestions / bugs / etc aside, I am still very happy with teambuilder, and even if nothing changes after the beta, and team builder is released exactly as it is, I would still gladly make good use of it. These suggestions and comments are from the point of view of only one individual amidst the sea of league fans here. I would not feel slighted if these adjustments are overlooked or if you folks at riot choose not to incorporate them for whatever reason. In the latter, I trust that you will have good reason not to. I just simply wanted to submit my two cents of feedback. =)

Great job, Riot. I'm very happy with the game, and with team builder. I look forward to sinking more of my bank account into skins. >.>

Batman8

03-11-2014

lol

SojourneRBurns

03-11-2014

Can this be modified in a way so that it doesn't enforce the current meta and the game is allowed to continue to evolve on the input of players?

I know I know, it doesn't enforce the meta, playing non-meta just "takes a little longer." Tell that to the two hours I wasted sitting in queues that inevitably failed to get a game going and eventually closed down.

As of right now, this stops people from learning to change, adapt or compromise and to top it off it all but eliminates anything but Tank/Fighter Top, Tank/Fighter Jungle, Mage/Assassin mid, Marksman and Support Bot.

I like the concept of team builder but it has all the problems many of us predicted it would have, at least those of us who weren't yelled at, silenced and talked down to for daring to dissent.

So far riot's response to the meta worry has been "It will just take a little longer." I feel like this is shrugging off legitimate concerns because the out and out reality is that it won't "take a little longer" it just "won't happen."

Since I have a dissenting opinion, this comment will now be voted down into oblivion. All glory to the hypnotoad.