Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

POPIN HAGS

03-11-2014

Will Team Builder continue on after the 12th?

ugotkilledb1tch

03-11-2014

I love it!!

TisTheWay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2014

Would like to be able to give people the power to invite again

PwNidUFoo

03-11-2014

I'm not sure if this is where you post things you wish team builder would do, but I feel like it would make for faster game searches if you could just pick which roles you want to do. I dont care if I play mid, top , jg but dont want the others. I just want a game, and not to have to wait 10 minutes for it

DVAvailable

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Ouch, sorry. There's some longer queue times happening right now for some MMR/role combinations. In the other regions where we've tested so far, those queue times decrease to our target rates after the first day. But the initial days' ones are a bit more volatile. Hang in there!

So I've always had long queue times after a certain point in normals, but the main problem with long queue times in Teambuilder is that you have to be actively monitoring the status of the teammate finding system. Yes, it allows a more informed decision but it feels to me as though it exacerbates the long queue times of higher MMR normal players. Comparison: I could pseudo-AFK in the regular normal queue for however long it takes to find a match, whereas in Teambuilder whether I'm the captain or not I have to CONSTANTLY check if the matchmaker found a teammate, whether team is full, etc. While it's nice to not have to "fight for roles" the active monitoring of status changes seems to me not worth the hassle at a certain point. That point being why wait in Teambuilder and have to devote resources to seeing the status of the team when I could wait the same amount of time in the regular normal queue and passively achieve nearly the same goal (generally fine with playing whatever).

In the circumstance where I have wanted to actually play a particular role, I found that I had to wait 15 minutes to get into the queue (passively waiting) and then 15 more minutes to actually find a teammate to fill the team (active waiting). I feel that there needs to be something done to minimize the time of active waiting for players with higher MMRs. Maybe there wasn't enough people queuing up so that active waiting time could be minimized, but once it reaches a certain amount of time I feel like the regular normal queue is simply better.

As a captain or player invested in playing a particular team comp perhaps I wouldn't mind the active waiting period. However, as a player who just wants to play the game, long active waiting periods are not exactly ideal. Main point: long queue times are tolerable as long as I don't have to actively manage it, but teambuilder is pretty high maintenance compared to the regular queue. 28 minutes of passive waiting with 90 seconds of teambuilding vs. 28 minutes of passive waiting and 12+ minutes of actively waiting for players to join the team. This experience reflects a relatively high normal MMR solo queuing in team builder.

Overall, team builder works pretty well for the vast majority of the community (less than 1 minute average queue times). Nevertheless, similar to the temporary game modes, if I'm just going to play against the same people, but have to pay more resource cost to do the same thing why not just queue for the normal blind pick? Unless I have an extraordinary strong desire to play exactly a specific champion in a specific role I just don't see the value for me to join the team builder queue. Much as I would like to participate in the team building experience, it becomes too much of a hassle once it reaches a certain amount of time actively spent monitoring an unknown input. While the option of discussing a team strategy and composition is certainly appreciated, this option becomes a problem when your queue times are already ridiculously long. It's a chore where you have to press a button when you see a light turn on, but you never know when that light will actually turn on, other than that it will take a very long time.

A viable solution could be allowing the option of playing any role for any position - meaning that you're fine playing anything as long as you can play your champ - or allowing teammate options to be expanded (to potentially increase pool of available players) even after you begin searching for teammates.

Dr3w Bot

03-11-2014

Please make this permanent riot!!!!!

zxXHeartlessXxz

03-11-2014

Needs a "give invite power" feature as well as a cancel on the queue in case someone you have invited messed up or wants to make a quick change or you messed up what your looking for. Theres also a bug that sometimes kicks a invited friend out of the team, and they end up stuck "using team builder" so you cannot reinvite them and they can still chat on the team chat as if they are still invited.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-11-2014
44 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonAlkemist View Post
Tried Team builder for the first time. One thing I find awkward is you cannot change summoners spells while you're in the lobby. I was support and the adc told me I should've taken exhaust instead of heal. And I couldn't change.

Also I think a summoners spell screen should pop up right after you select your champion. I almost went in with smite-flash...

I totally support the idea, although there is no need for all the detailed options.
How about being able to queue by choosing position only? That would simplify everything. This way you can still choose a team comp/spells that have synergy, without bickering for the lane.
If you are "Ready" checked, you can't change Summoner Spells. We'll streamline this experience in the future.

For now, you can unready, change Summoner Spells, then ready up again.

Standing

03-11-2014

Problems/Suggested Changes in Team Builder:

Suggested Changes
-Default summoner spells
*Make it where your summoner spells change depending on what Position you select i.e. Position jungle, default to flash/smite, support, default to flash/exhaust etc.

Problem
-When you click "Find Solo Players" cant go back without exiting the entire interface
*Add a back button for people (like me) who click that when a friend asks late to join, or when you accidentally click it.

Problem
-Im always on Purple Team/Side
*Add an indicator that can tell you what side you will be on, or let the player choose his preferred side.

Suggested Changes
-Team Builder Music
*Add a mute button PLEASE.

Suggested Changes
-Remove roles
*Take away the type of champion indicator where you can choose fighter, mage, marksman etc. The game already has these champs labeled and having that option just allows people to troll when searching for a team.

Suggested Changes
-A Reminder
*When a team has been found and you join the lobby, have a reminder or an "Are you sure you are ready" option pop up, when you click the ready button, that tells you your Summoner spells and Runes and masteries, that way if the team decides a change in the lobby you can make sure you have everything right before the game.

Suggested Changes
-Specific Champion Fill
*Possibly add an option where when searching for a team you can just select specific champions you want to fill that spot instead of having to select fighter, tank etc.

Suggested Changes
-Promote Lead/Invite powers
*Self Explanatory.

Suggested Changes
-Kick invited members
*Self Explanatory.

- =Topic
* =Solution

xXblackedenXx

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxXHeartlessXxz View Post
Needs a "give invite power" feature as well as a cancel on the queue in case someone you have invited messed up or wants to make a quick change or you messed up what your looking for. Theres also a bug that sometimes kicks a invited friend out of the team, and they end up stuck "using team builder" so you cannot reinvite them and they can still chat on the team chat as if they are still invited.
You can click search for another team then jst click [X] at the top where play is i have not tried this but give it a shot it might work out for you