Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whattaninja

03-11-2014

I think this would work much better if it was just selecting lane, getting into champ select, then picking champion from there.

Squallian

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSoma View Post
This idea has been going around for awhile to help with the arguments in the lobby. I have waited for this since I started playing.

After playing this new feature a few times I find that it is missing a few key features some of which have been mentioned previously.
I think there needs to be a option added for those players who want to play with out a jungle, (Duo Top) currently there is no way of choosing from the two different play styles.
You are excluding strategies by forcing the community to play a certain way.

Some players prefer to play Duo top which is another argument that happens in the lobby.

On top of the current choices when choosing your character ect. You need to add in these two play styles prior to selecting your character or role.
I hope you take this into consideration for after / during the beta.

This game is not just for professionals which equate to 1% of the players.
Thank you Mr.Green
Simple - just make the lobby if this is the game you want to play. If you get into a game and they want to force this (anti) meta on you, then you can just leave the lobby at that point, problem solved.

Devs have to take into account that a large number of players would LIKE to play at a competitive level, regardless of whether they -are- professional players. 1% of the players might be professionals, but the community is almost 80% filled with people who would rather play competitively than screw around. This design helps people live their fantasies of playing non-traditional teams instead of dealing with people enforcing a meta - this doesn't mean that the majority of players don't want to play the meta 'as is'.

AlphaVVulf

03-11-2014

There seems to be an issue with editing Masteries when in Team builder. I wanted to change up the Masteries of Volibear but I couldn't revert any points so I just left it alone. I am not sure if this is from my computer or your system but i just wanted you to know.

Khalstianix

03-11-2014

I love this! I like to win, but I also like testing strategy.

I don't like that it takes so darn long if you're nothing but top.

I wanted mid the first time I tried this and it took more than 5 minutes.

Otherwise I love it.

ShadowBane2243

03-11-2014

In the explanation given by Lyte, it was stated that any players planning on using a creative position/champ combination would be put on the same team. However, would this "creative combination" team be fighting another similar team, or could they just as likely be put up with a "play to win" team?

Squallian

03-11-2014

"In the explanation given by Lyte, it was stated that any players planning on using a creative position/champ combination would be put on the same team. However, would this "creative combination" team be fighting another similar team, or could they just as likely be put up with a "play to win" team?"

Isn't everyone playing to win? If your 'creative' team comp doesn't work, you probably aren't as creative as you think.

Makneto

03-11-2014

In my opinion, Team Builder is great for one specific purpose.

Learning a new champ!

Team builder effectively allows you to spam any champ game after game garaunteed!

Negative Nancy - "So does Blind Pick"
- True. But Team Builder queue allows you that benefit while ALSO providing a structured game. You don't have to mess with call order in blind pick or players that don't won't conform to the team's needs. You get 4 other players that opted into their role and are ready to play a good game. This way you get practice in a game that is a lot more similar to a ranked game instead of a Blind Pick crapshoot.

With that said....
I don't think Team Builder belongs in ranked. Why not? One word....Specialization. When you give players the chance to just play the role they love, you best believe many of them will take that chance and only play that role. Why is this bad? Because they will become specialized and only learn the nuances of one role. Older players aren't my concern, it's the new players that are potentially learning the game with team builder queue. They won't have the overall game knowledge that players have developed with the current champ select mecahnism.

In other words, draft pick sometimes forces you to play multiple roles at least every once in a while. This is a good thing for increasing each player's knowledge of the game. Which, in turn, increases the level of gameplay and competitiveness.

Just my $0.02

Squallian

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makneto View Post

With that said....
I don't think Team Builder belongs in ranked. Why not? One word....Specialization. When you give players the chance to just play the role they love, you best believe many of them will take that chance and only play that role. Why is this bad? Because they will become specialized and only learn the nuances of one role. Older players aren't my concern, it's the new players that are potentially learning the game with team builder queue. They won't have the overall game knowledge that players have developed with the current champ select mecahnism.

In other words, draft pick sometimes forces you to play multiple roles at least every once in a while. This is a good thing for increasing each player's knowledge of the game. Which, in turn, increases the level of gameplay and competitiveness.
Competitive players only play one role, and sometimes one champion. Doing so can actually net you around 2000+ elo over the course of 1000 games. Specialization is definitely preferred - especially if you can get your specialized pick every game. Team Builder would change solo q forever.

VonBurgermeister

UX Designer

03-11-2014
41 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrddinDark View Post
My real problem is this is we can't ban, i can't change my champion based on team needs. I would love to wukong jungle, but sometimes the team needs a more pure tank. Why can't we just queue up for the roles we want, with a list of our preferred champions then go on from there. Make everyone pick at least 4 champions so it is impossible for them to be banned out and then proceed like a normal draft match.
Sounds like what you're looking for is draft-specific, which Team Builder isn't designed for. Draft would likely need to be something different.

VonBurgermeister

UX Designer

03-11-2014
42 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sleepy Viking View Post
Thanks btab, ceciliaicy, davin, DoctahWayne, Drevarius, Fr3nchT0ast, Goggalor, MissMechaZero, RiotBahamut, RiotBlackrook, RiotComplex, RiotExLibris, RiotId, RiotJayway, RiotLobster, RiotLulu, RiotMartlet, RiotNeuroCat, RiotNoyz, RiotSeb, RiotTantram, RiotWorldPeace, Ryedan, scezumin, statuskwoh, stochasticmx, VonBurgermeister, Yegg and Yupster ! We all love what you have done and what will happen to future league!
Thank you so much! HF