Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quadlaite

03-10-2014

WizzadDeBz

03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Think about the matrix of data that we can get from Team Builder... every comp against every comp and their win%s... it makes me smile just thinking about it.
Not to mention the apparent innate dislike for the support and jungle positions. Or how much everyone seems to love mid. Tons of useful data here.

blackcat1300

03-10-2014

This is verry interesting. Thank you.

Vorkel

03-10-2014

Oh yeah, sounds good but this beta is generating major lag and load issues.

Goth Skunk

03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Hm, are you seeing Captains being penalized for players voluntarily leaving a team? In Team Builder you should only be penalized for actions that you commit, so this shouldn't be happening. Basically, every action in Team Builder has a positive or negative valence, and if you commit a lot of positive actions you will get benefits in Team Builder. If you commit a lot of negative actions, you'll get penalized with cool-downs or queue restrictions.

There's nothing in the system where you get penalized because of someone else's actions.
I'm positive that this is what I saw. I've only tried captaining a team once, though. I'm trying again right now to see if I can replicate it.

Update: It's beginning to happen again. Players voluntarily leaving my team builder brings up a gradually increasing queue time before I can accept another potential teammate for that role and lane.

Quote:

We were torn about this, and weren't sure if we needed to fully implement it before doing a Live Beta. We ultimately decided that it was worth doing a Live Beta first without finishing this feature, but if it's a highly demanded feature we might swing back and do some work on it.
Cool.

Quote:
We did a lot of early prototype testing where we did test various ways to allow champion changing. For example, a team vote on a champion change, a captain "approval" of a champion change, or even just freely being able to change champions. During the testing, we found a couple downsides that really made us re-think the features and put them on the backburner for now.

For example, the features really hurt champion diversity. Instead of players waiting longer in queue and getting to play a champion in an unorthodox role, they'd often be accepted into teams and then asked to change their champion--after going through the experience a few times, you can imagine how many players just gave up trying to play these creative roles over time. Right now, we're seeing Bottom-LeBlanc-Support and Talon-Jungles and other neat specs being quite accepted in Team Builder, and we might not have seen that develop if we went with champion changes in the lobby.
I see!

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my points.

Yukuuo

03-10-2014

What makes this idea even usable? The queue times are extremely long due to sudden release, fine that could be understandable to some extent, but how is getting queued with 4/5 mid every time suppose to be okay? The players legitimately wanted 1 mid not "to try something crazy" and go all mid. If so, they'd go play a game of ARAM.

1. Time pressure - Good idea taking it out with the reason of allowing more team communication. Might be successful if team builder gets popular, especially with its aesthetic design.

2. Not taking into account player intention -
"Some players play to win every single game; other players want to try out new creative strats, or practice that new champion they just got. We needed a system that could match like-minded players together so that if you wanted to try a crazy new strat, you could find 4 other players who wanted to do the same thing."

The problem is that the system does not do that at all. It just matches us with other people who want our lane. People using team builder most likely expected it to be a system where we could pick our lane, not get trolled, and have a good time playing what we wanted. Everyone getting their "best" lanes and enjoying what they do. Sure the system may put us with like-minded players but in all the queues i've gotten, it simply means all in the same lane and never having 5 hit ready. If we wanted to try a crazy new strat, the time it'd take to find others who specifically can match what we want to do would be near impossible or too long of a queue. The more practical way is to grab a bunch of people you know and do all the craziness you want.

I could be wrong and not credible enough for the short amount of time i spent with the system but 10 minute queues are harsh. Out of the 4 matches i got into, one had a setup of top jungle mid and bot "correctly" to the current meta.

Idea is great, execution...not showing. I may be harsh on the system but that is it how I view it on a surface level based on what I've seen so far.

SNSD T1FFANY

03-10-2014

So far i think that Team builder is amazing. One thing Riot can change is the loading screen, i think that would be pretty cool! Also in the beta of Team builder, it is really hard to find a support player for each team build. Overall, I consider Team builder a pretty cool game mode/type.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2014

So I haven't played any games since S4 started that weren't bots, ARAM, or Hexakill, so as someone who mostly plays support this is perfect for getting back into the swing of things. I want to relearn things so I can get back into ranked (um, what GP10 do I buy? is not something people want to hear during placement matches) and team builder is perfect for that - I get instant queues and can move on to the next game if I get a comp I don't like. I have nothing against non-standard comps, but those aren't really of any use for preparing me for placements. When the mode is permanently available and I have more time with it, I will be absolutely be queueing up looking for a fighter/tank bot lane to smash some unsuspecting ADC and support.

ButtKnocker

03-10-2014

Tedious Request:

Teambuilder should be implemented as a tutorial to new players showing them how teams are built in league before they fight there first BOT match.(Forcibly making them pick TOP MID BOT or JUNG for there first game.)

A quick tip should then come up after the role is selected explaining what the role is. Then when they select their position, a tip should come up explaining what that positions intended role in that position is.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-10-2014
39 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laerx View Post
I don't think teambuilder takes MMR into account. Is this intended? I understand the format is built to match roles and champions over similar ratings but getting paired with players who actually don't know what "cs" means doesn't make the game any fun, either.
Team Builder does take MMR into account, and starts off by seeding from your Normal MMR.

However, we're implemented smarter matchmaking into Team Builder and are collecting some data from the Live Beta about how to tune some of these new features. We're doing the best we can to ensure an awesome matchmaking experience in Team Builder, but also do need to make sure we do enough testing so we can go out with some of the smarter matchmaking stuff.

For example, at launch we'll be able to take into account your experience in each champion, position and role so that the matchmaker will find appropriate opponents for you if you want to try out new champions, positions or roles for the first time.